RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone may have posted this link, when looking at the rear end ratio, and RPM graphs, I wanted to look at the torque curve. This link is form VM Motori website.

L630 DOHC - VM Motori

Looks like torque is pretty flat from max of about 1800 rpm up to 2400, nice range.

Marsman.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Great addition marsman, makes me think the 3.55 will put me right where I want to be in the power curve.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nailem, I did some math, and according the Jeep, the 355 at 70 mph would be turning 1808 RPM. The 392 at 1800 rpm would be about 62-63 mph. So for my use 355 is about right. If I had a camper or towed all the time, the 392 would be the way to go, but you can't make the decision until you have the data...
If a guy lived in Florida or somewhere where it's really flat, the 321 rear end may make sense.

I'll go with the 355.

Merry Christmas to all.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It's not a very flat torque curve for a diesel but is still more usable than most gas engines. Also the 3.22 rear is not offered with the diesel, only the 3.55 and 3.92

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LC, yes the option function on the Ram website confused me, the ratio is 3.21 not 3.22, and it is not offered in the diesel.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I still like the 3.92 for myself. I am not a fast driver. I hardly go over 70, and tow around 60. Also, I hope the Keith at Green Diesel will have a tune available for this quickly, since he has tunes for other VM motors. both domestic and foreign.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good to know on the green diesel... and on the 392, each person has to know how they will drive or use the truck. WHen I had the 2006 Ram 5.9 cummins, it was geared so steep, I did not go over 67 mph, and generally around 62-63 mph. The VM, in the Ram will probably be an every day vehicle for my family and me, will tow some, but not a lot.

If you have any info on green diesel, do they have a website?

·
Registered
396 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Nail ! this is good stuff.
If I get one, will probably let other folks try tuning options before I hop on the wagon !

It is interesting to watch, how fast the aftermarket business responds to a motor, and the development of those markets is an indicator of success and popularity of a motor..... ie the 5.9 Cummins.....

·
Registered
274 Posts
GDE doesn't have a tune for the jeep yet but other companies that have made some are reporting tune of 260-300HP and 475-510 Ft/Lbs

·
Registered
396 Posts
Same here, I have a small tune in my duramax but will most likely hold off on a tune for a while anyways.

·
Registered
274 Posts
A tune, intake, and exhaust even a DPF back will get the truck over 30mpg with no issues.

I can see a egr and DPF delete getting into the mid 30s with a much flatter torque curve. I won't be the first one to test it out though.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Someone may have posted this link, when looking at the rear end ratio, and RPM graphs, I wanted to look at the torque curve. This link is form VM Motori website.

L630 DOHC - VM Motori

Looks like torque is pretty flat from max of about 1800 rpm up to 2400, nice range.

Thanks so much for posting this chart Marsman. From my test driving of the Ram with 8 speed and both 3.55 and 3.92 I found that at 100 km/hr (63 mph) the 3.55 turned at 1500 rpm and the 3.92 at 1700 rpm. I usually drive just slightly over 100 km/hr so I think the 3.55 would always be down-shifting on moderate hills where-as the 3.92 would pull the same hill without down-shifting. Your chart further confirmed this as the peak torque is just coming on at 1800 rpm.
I have also found that I have to pull my boat with my current GM Denali pickup in 5th gear (it is a 6 speed automatic) and at 100 km/hr it is doing 2100 rpm. Of course the peak torque on this gas engine is at a much higher rpm. If I have to pull my boat in 7th gear, according to the chart I will be right in the middle of the peak torque.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Even better for me. My current truck puts out 325 ft/lbs max and at 1500 rpm the ram puts out 330. And I know I'll be tuning it anyway so I'll be well above what my truck does now.

Also I do it all now with a 4spd so I'll be even more content with double that even though it's considered a double overdrive transmission.

·
Registered
396 Posts
With my duramax I tow my boat about 6000-6500 at 72mph in overdrive and it never shifts even through the mountains. I still think this little guy is going to put me right where I want to be at 72 although I do expect it will do a little more shifting.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think the gap between 1/2 and 3/4 is too big 8-10k stresses these trucks but is at the low end of a 3/4 ton and then 1tons are moving upwards of 25-30k now. Had a friend destroy the brakes on his dual axle boat trailer; somehow the brakes locked up and the rotors glowed red caused the brakes likes to fail spitting brake fluid on them and started a fire. He didn't notice until he saw the smoke, truck never downshifted or anything. Just kept trucking along.

Also I tow a 12kish toy hauler with a dodge 5.9 and it does it fine but when we tow a different 3axle 18k with a new ram it doesn't even feel like it's back there. Same with the bumper pull on our ford 6.0 you know the truck is working and doing fine. hook it up to a buddy's ford 6.7 and you forget it's there till you look in the mirror.

I just think I should be able to get something like the the 1500HDs from the mid 00's those 5/8ton trucks I guess you'd call them had a great frame and suspension set up but lacked the power trains to move them properly. These new motors recently seem to fill that gap. With

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
I think the 3.0 ED would be a great fit for a 1500HD. I was searching the web last night and noticed that Dodge Ram did make a 1500HD as recently as 2012! Why don't they offer one with the 3.0? I would hate to buy one now, just to find out they offer an HD model NEXT year!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good point B Shan, would feel silly buying one now, only to have an HD come out. Think about it. that's not out of the realm of possibility.... especially if / since Nissan is putting the 5.0 Cummins in the Titan... that truck will have to be beefed up just to handle the 900 pounds of the motor... so the frame and suspension will probably be stout on the Titan just to handle that motor. So at that point, Ram may beef up the 1500.

Attachments

·
Registered
575 Posts
What are the differences in a non HD config and HD config in Ram trucks?

Frame? Brakes? Suspension?

·
Registered
274 Posts
With the 2500 it it bigger everything like 2-3,000 lbs of everything.

When they made the 1500(1/2ton) and the 1500hd(5/8)ton it was the same frame but heavier springs, brakes, transmission, and usually only had the larger v8s with Chevy I know it was kinda like this
1500- choice of engines but with a 6.0L, 4L60e tranny ~19mpg
1500HD only offered the 6.0L beefier 4L80e tranny, suspension and brakes from the 2500 on a 1500 frame. ~16mpg
2500. Either the 6.0 or diesel. 4l80e transmission etc on a 2500 frame. ~13mpg with the 6.0

Then at one point they separated and you had a 2500 and 2500hd where the had would offer a big block gas v8 or v10 the truck companies made a mess if it and have since calmed down.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts