RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's use this thread for people to post their performance gains.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On that note my stein is supposed to be here monday, I would like to do a before and after run... I called dr.deisel they only do events for dyno, after calling another shop in oakville(neetronics) they only do gas. anyone know where I can get some runs done in oakville/ burl/ west end GTA?

·
Registered
213 Posts
What's a stein?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never ran it on the dyno, blew my injector pump and the shrapnel took out 3 injectors....havent bother to run it on one after that....i can tell you that the stein really lit up that truck, it would have blown the doors off my 03 hemi....

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yupper, truck at the time had maybe 1000-1500km and I was towing a 9000#+ load on the hwy, lost all power and had to pull over, long story short injector pump let go, sent metal down the line and took out 3 injectors.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Warranty took care of everything, as far as if it was the tuners fault I doubt it, I'm sure I just had a weak pump. Granted I was pulling almost a ton more than rated for, I have pulled that much since with no problems.... but wow that stein made my truck like a race car.....my mileage went down, I'm guessing because I drove more aggressively with the extra power....

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Piggy back, plug and play.... all you have to do is unplug your injectors and plug in the supplied plugs and mount the box somewhere (I mounted mine on the fuse box) super easy and they couldn't tell when I brought it in for warranty....

·
Registered
701 Posts
If the tuner was bluespark or one of the tuners the increases fuel pressure, I would consider it a possible contributing factor to the failure. However the Steiner is unique in that it only increases the injector pulse, or lengthens the duration of the failure injection, and does not increase pressure.
Two neighbors of mine are Diesel engine after treatment system engineering manager and staff engined, respectively (he gave me great lesson on DPfs and SCRs!) They said that modern diesels and the systems are pushed to the max, or very close, to help meet power requirements along with emissions. He said he personally would stay away from tuners that don't overage a reprogrammed ECU computer. He says a good ECU tuner is the way to go, but must be done right.
I was hoping he was going to give me a green light on the two available piggy back approaches out now (blue spark vs Steinbauer). They indicated I should pause and consider risk. The manager neither just bought a Passat TDI diesel, but said he won't modify it. He was very familiar with our engine surprisingly, as he toured the VM Motori factory in Italy because a common engine part supplier was demonstrating their potential and wanted to show off the engine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Beat you to it Ranger!

Did about 9 runs today. 5 stock and 4 with the GDE hot tune.

All pulls conducted with the following settings.
Mustang Dyno with a load set at 4500 lbs. and 6th gear pull

Stock avg. 215 WHP & 365 Ft Tq

GDE avg, 241 WHP & 421 Ft Tq

In the picture is my best run 244 WHP & 427 Ft Tq.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts