RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone purposely waiting things out for a bit to see how this new engine holds up?

I have to admit - I'm a bit hesitant to jump on board (despite wanting this combo : 1/2 ton diesel) for a LONG time.

Do Ram dealers typically provide loaner cars/trucks while yours is in the shop? I have this vision of bringing it in for something, and being so new, the techs need it for 2 weeks to sort out a problem. I don't mind that, as long as they give me a loaner while they figure it out.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I don't normally jump on a new model... but the engine has been around for a while in other countries... and VM has been making engines for a VERY long time. Also... the "New" 8 speed trans, isn't new either. BMW has been using it in the V12 powered 7 series ($90k car) for a while. And finally... the Transfer case is made by Borg-Warner. It's a newer design, but it's just an evolution of a T-case that has been around for a very long time. (the BW4406)

Sure... there can be some growing pains... but the entire drivetrain is made by other companies, with good reputations.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I agree with Doc! Everything has been proven.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Because the engine was in the Jeep Cherokee last year, I figure this is the 2nd year in the US for this engine. What's newish is the US oriented emission controls. The engine itself has been in service in Europe for a several years.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Because the engine was in the Jeep Cherokee last year, I figure this is the 2nd year in the US for this engine. What's newish is the US oriented emission controls. The engine itself has been in service in Europe for a several years.
I wouldn't go that far. I don't think the ED Jeep actually got out to the public until November last year. So... at best we are looking at 6 months in the USA. It's kind of like the ED 1500. officially they say it was released in Feb... but it really didn't hit the dealers until the end of March. AND... it really didn't get out until April. (There still isn't a Pitt dealer with one) But regardless... that gave them some time work out the programming bugs.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Promised the wife new floors, got them and paid for them. Took my DP. I want one of these trucks.....2015 model is in the works.

Jim

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Is anyone purposely waiting things out for a bit to see how this new engine holds up?

I have to admit - I'm a bit hesitant to jump on board (despite wanting this combo : 1/2 ton diesel) for a LONG time.

Do Ram dealers typically provide loaner cars/trucks while yours is in the shop? I have this vision of bringing it in for something, and being so new, the techs need it for 2 weeks to sort out a problem. I don't mind that, as long as they give me a loaner while they figure it out.
Early adoption is most successful when the manufacturer has a solid track record and good support, the product has some important feature to you, and the timing is right.

Ram's reputation is not great but probably as good as the other truck brands at this point. Support will depend a lot on your local dealer's service department. The big unknowns may be the supply line for parts and Fiat's direction. And there is the industry-wide problems with a smooth recovery from the recession. The longer we wait the more those things will become clear, but risk appears relatively low all things considered.

There may be other, perhaps better, truck choices for those willing to wait a year. The must-have features and timing depend on the individual. Technology is like that.

Loaners during service depend on the dealer. The type of service, if you bought the truck from that dealer, and the depth of their loaner fleet are all factors.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I am waiting for the cash. I would have one on order if I could.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts