RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - long story short. Live in Washington state, bought a 2014 GC with 74k miles. Of course a week later check engine light comes on, P0240 I think (I cant remember). Fast forward, suddenly get a message saying DPF is full see dealer and car went into limp mode. Found out it was a Canadian Jeep. Took it to dealer for V08 (or V16 for Canadians) recall and they did a regen. It happens again. Jeep is in limp mode and I don’t want to deal with paying for a regen.
In pops an eBay dealer (axtransportllc4) - I ask about a delete. We text. He says he throws it on bench and deletes EGR, DPF, and DEF. Cost? $425. Sure. I send it in and he messages me today saying it’s coming back. I realize this whole thing is semi-sketchy. 97.7% positive feedback with 45 positives in the past year.
He also said I need to disconnect the EGR, and I asked if he meant physically or electronically and he said electronically but I can also delete the whole system. After looking online, I’m having a hard time finding information on disconnecting it. I see a ton of posts on delete, but I simply want to “turn it off” or disconnect. I’ll be buying a EGR delete and DPF delete pile (off road pipe) once I can confirm my Jeep is working fine for a week or so.
I wanted to make this post for those who are curious on eBay tuners and also looking for information on the EGR. Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Limited ED 3.92 33gal
126 Posts
? Wrong forum?

·
Registered
2020 Limited ED 3.92 33gal
126 Posts
Thanks for peddling your sad experience

Reactions: Greattriumph

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hey all - long story short. Live in Washington state, bought a 2014 GC with 74k miles. Of course a week later check engine light comes on, P0240 I think (I cant remember). Fast forward, suddenly get a message saying DPF is full see dealer and car went into limp mode. Found out it was a Canadian Jeep. Took it to dealer for V08 (or V16 for Canadians) recall and they did a regen. It happens again. Jeep is in limp mode and I don’t want to deal with paying for a regen.
In pops an eBay dealer (axtransportllc4) - I ask about a delete. We text. He says he throws it on bench and deletes EGR, DPF, and DEF. Cost? $425. Sure. I send it in and he messages me today saying it’s coming back. I realize this whole thing is semi-sketchy. 97.7% positive feedback with 45 positives in the past year.
He also said I need to disconnect the EGR, and I asked if he meant physically or electronically and he said electronically but I can also delete the whole system. After looking online, I’m having a hard time finding information on disconnecting it. I see a ton of posts on delete, but I simply want to “turn it off” or disconnect. I’ll be buying a EGR delete and DPF delete pile (off road pipe) once I can confirm my Jeep is working fine for a week or so.
I wanted to make this post for those who are curious on eBay tuners and also looking for information on the EGR. Thanks!
There is a plug next the EGR. You just unplug that.

Also if you are getting a delete tune you have to remove the whole emissions related exhaust components right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a plug next the EGR. You just unplug that.

Also if you are getting a delete tune you have to remove the whole emissions related exhaust components right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome - I appreciate your help. Once I re-install ECU and realize there are no issues, I will go ahead with deleting everything else and doing a write up.

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Ecodiesel
61 Posts
Welcome to the forum fellow Washingtonian!
Thanks for taking it for the team and testing that eBay deal. There was a talk about it here not long ago. I'm not sure if that person did go with it or not.
Report back, would be interested to know if that worked out for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the forum fellow Washingtonian!
Thanks for taking it for the team and testing that eBay deal. There was a talk about it here not long ago. I'm not sure if that person did go with it or not.
Report back, would be interested to know if that worked out for you.
Hey! I’m in Tacoma! But for sure will report back - I hope I don’t get scammed hahaha

·
Registered
13,684 Posts
Another option is to remove and punch out the DPF and DEF so they look stock but the "guts" are gone.

Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: KRom

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
you'd get better help on a Jeep site but ....

removing EGR : ( you will have a couple differences , but get the right stage 2 delete plates for your Jeep )
step by step instructions in here :

. and image of a EGR deleted Jeep: definitely looks different from a RAM .

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
If the tuner really knew what they were doing, the EGR would be turned off in the programming and you wouldn't need to physically unplug the wiring harness. Not sure why anyone would trust their expensive vehicle to fly-by-night 'tuners' but that's just me.

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Ecodiesel
61 Posts
All of the tuners are doing unlawful business, so to say one "outlaw" can be trusted while another one can not be trusted is not right. It's all a gamble, a game of chance we play. They are all renegades, pirates of some sort. Some just get better at it than others, make a name for themselves....then get visited by the "law" and cycle starts again...we start looking for new risk takers.

So, I applaud those who are trying to do it, I certainly do not have the "know how", I applaud the risk taker for willing to test it. I myself might be going that route too, we'll see the report here later, a good report I hope!

·
Registered
16 Posts
You are on an interesting path here and I look forward to following it. Just curious though, why not just go with a tried and true tune?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are on an interesting path here and I look forward to following it. Just curious though, why not just go with a tried and true tune?
I was going to - but I read online that basically these deletes on the ECU are just some guy with access to WyTech. I figured if I can spend $450 and it do the same, why not? If it doesn’t work, oh well I will ship to HD Diesel in Canada.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Small update for anyone who cares:
He shipped it with tracking, should be here Saturday! And I’ll ask if he actually deleted the EGR via ECM.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
All of the tuners are doing unlawful business, so to say one "outlaw" can be trusted while another one can not be trusted is not right. It's all a gamble, a game of chance we play. They are all renegades, pirates of some sort. Some just get better at it than others
An over-simplification. The take-away is that some are way better than others. It's about knowledge of the craft of programming. Few can do it, and even fewer can do it very well.

I was going to - but I read online that basically these deletes on the ECU are just some guy with access to WyTech.
Nope, a lot more complex than that. There are thousands and thousands of maps in the programming to modify. It's not as simple as flipping switches in WyTech.

Reactions: KRom

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
An over-simplification. The take-away is that some are way better than others. It's about knowledge of the craft of programming. Few can do it, and even fewer can do it very well.

Nope, a lot more complex than that. There are thousands and thousands of maps in the programming to modify. It's not as simple as flipping switches in WyTech.
And I totally get that. I just figure a guy with 45 positive reviews/feedback is a decent feeler. I am by no means educated in diesel or emissions stuff. I came from the car world. I appreciate your opinion and I just am willing to be the experiment. If this doesn’t work, I’ll be shipping the ECU to a more reputable tuner or spend way too much money trying to find out how to actually fix my Jeep!

·
Registered
263 Posts
If all he is doing is deleting, it's really not that big of deal. There's tables for the EGR and a couple of switches for DPF and DEF. Then it comes down to deleting the correct DTC's which is what I've had a hard time understanding the workings on our ECM's. I tested one of the "auto-tuning" upload sites for EGR and DEF delete and the result was more or less the same solution as SFK and MR Tuning. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what he's doing.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts