RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Everyone,

At this point, I have received a few requests from members asking for assistance in cloning their ECM's. I did not start this thread as a solicitation attempt, so I hope the mods to not view it that way, or if it needs to be moved to a different sections, please feel free to do so.

While I am happy to help out other members with their needs, if you send me a PM, please DO NOT tell me what is on the ECM that you are requesting to be cloned. I do not need to know, and with the current climate it's probably better for everyone if that information is not transmitted. I do not need to know if it is pre-AEM, PPEI, GDE, etc. Whatever is on the ECM is your software, you own it, and whatever you do with the cloned ECM after it is returned is your business. If for some reason I need additional information, there are other ways we can transmit that information.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding!

Update: I have figured out how to match the "Original" and "Current" VIN's from a stock image (Not a clone) on a salvaged ECM. Before anyone asks, this will not be possible with AlfaOBD because some changes are required in the FLASH.

Feel free to PM me if this is something you are interested in.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hey Everyone,

At this point, I have received a few requests from members asking for assistance in cloning their ECM's. I did not start this thread as a solicitation attempt, so I hope the mods to not view it that way, or if it needs to be moved to a different sections, please feel free to do so.

While I am happy to help out other members with their needs, if you send me a PM, please DO NOT tell me what is on the ECM that you are requesting to be cloned. I do not need to know, and with the current climate it's probably better for everyone if that information is not transmitted. I do not need to know if it is pre-AEM, PPEI, GDE, etc. Whatever is on the ECM is your software, you own it, and whatever you do with the cloned ECM after it is returned is your business. If for some reason I need additional information, there are other ways we can transmit that information.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding!
If you don’t have a problem with it please send me your personal email address to the following email : : : Jerome [email protected]

·
Registered
124 Posts
gtsav2006 I just u a pm to take u up on ur offer above.

Thanks laidbackcat

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: I have figured out how to match the "Original" and "Current" VIN's from a stock image (Not a clone) on a salvaged ECM. Before anyone asks, this will not be possible with AlfaOBD because some changes are required in the FLASH.

·
Registered
181 Posts

PLEASE e-mail me at :[email protected]. I have been trying to do this for a while. After searching this site I was told that if I get the AlfaOBD program and a OBDlink-MX Dungee. That I could program a savage ECU you to work in my truck. I have been holding out for someone to post something that would be 100% effective in accomplishing this goal.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Gtsav2006 -- That's quite an accomplishment! If you're now editing the firmware to match the VINs, how did you figure out the checksum issue?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gtsav2006 -- That's quite an accomplishment! If you're now editing the firmware to match the VINs, how did you figure out the checksum issue?
Checksums have never been the problem. Just about any decent programming tool (or WinOLS) will fix the FLASH checksums. There is other software avaliable for the EEPROM file. There's some data in the FLASH that prevents the Original VIN from being programmed after it leaves the factory. That's what I figured out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just a plug for gtsav2006...I bought a salvaged ECU from a 2017, used AlphaOBD to re-vin it to my 2016, but I had major issues, (gave me a throttle-body error code, went into limp mode, etc.), sent both ECU's off to gtsav2006 and he cloned my oem data onto the salvaged ECU, now it works perfectly!

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
PLEASE e-mail me at :[email protected]. I have been trying to do this for a while. After searching this site I was told that if I get the AlfaOBD program and a OBDlink-MX Dungee. That I could program a savage ECU you to work in my truck. I have been holding out for someone to post something that would be 100% effective in accomplishing this goal.
You can make the salvage ECM work in your truck by simply using AlfaOBD. Check out the VeePeak BLE bluetooth OBD dongle, much cheaper than the OBDlink-MX dongle and works just as well.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just a plug for gtsav2006...I bought a salvaged ECU from a 2017, used AlphaOBD to re-vin it to my 2016, but I had major issues, (gave me a throttle-body error code, went into limp mode, etc.), sent both ECU's off to gtsav2006 and he cloned my oem data onto the salvaged ECU, now it works perfectly!
Do you think some of your problem was that you used a 2017 ECU instead of a 2016 ECU ?

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Do you think some of your problem was that you used a 2017 ECU instead of a 2016 ECU ?
Nope. I successfully changed a 2018 ECM to work in a 2015.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Nope. I successfully changed a 2018 ECM to work in a 2015.
So let me make sure I understand you , So if I want a clone ECU for my 2016 Ram eco-diesel it does not have to be a 2016 ECU to work, I can use a 2015 or 2017 or 2018 and either one of them will work for the cloning process.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
So let me make sure I understand you , So if I want a clone ECU for my 2016 Ram eco-diesel it does not have to be a 2016 ECU to work, I can use a 2015 or 2017 or 2018 and either one of them will work for the cloning process.
You were questioning issues on altering a 2017 ECM for use in a 2016 truck using the AlfaOBD. I'm here to tell you it can be done. Now you're mentioning cloning and that's outside my expertise. While I'm sure it's a non-issue, I'll let gtsav2006 answer you.

Cloning and using AlfaOBD to change injector codes and VIN are two different processes.

·
Registered
181 Posts
You were questioning issues on altering a 2017 ECM for use in a 2016 truck using the AlfaOBD. I'm here to tell you it can be done. Now you're mentioning cloning and that's outside my expertise. While I'm sure it's a non-issue, I'll let gtsav2006 answer you.

Cloning and using AlfaOBD to change injector codes and VIN are two different processes.
Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Jerome11, I'm not sure if the problems arose from using a 2017 ECU in a 2016 truck, or if it was just because lady luck didn't like the matchup between the two individual trucks. Either way, the 2017 ECU was throwing codes and not liking being in the 2016, even though I programmed the injector codes (the fault code was mainly with the throttle body). So, I think using AlphaOBD gives you a pretty good shot at success, but there are no guarantees you won't run into any issues. Also, you have to ask what software version is running in the salvaged ECU, and are you going to be okay with that? In my case I was perfectly content with the OEM program and wanted to preserve that as a known quantity, so a clone was a great solution for me. By the way, I've had the AEM completed and my feedback on it is that the truck's acceleration lags, especially when cold, feels like you have to apply way more throttle to get it going, it's subtle, but noticeable for sure. Overall, the truck feels de-tuned, and my MPG numbers in the short time I've driven it are HORRIBLE. (like 16 mpg!) It completely mystifies me how getting worse mpg is something the EPA wanted to achieve with this AEM, how in the world does that help?!

·
Vendor
1,259 Posts
Jerome11, I'm not sure if the problems arose from using a 2017 ECU in a 2016 truck, or if it was just because lady luck didn't like the matchup between the two individual trucks. Either way, the 2017 ECU was throwing codes and not liking being in the 2016, even though I programmed the injector codes (the fault code was mainly with the throttle body). So, I think using AlphaOBD gives you a pretty good shot at success, but there are no guarantees you won't run into any issues. Also, you have to ask what software version is running in the salvaged ECU, and are you going to be okay with that? In my case I was perfectly content with the OEM program and wanted to preserve that as a known quantity, so a clone was a great solution for me. By the way, I've had the AEM completed and my feedback on it is that the truck's acceleration lags, especially when cold, feels like you have to apply way more throttle to get it going, it's subtle, but noticeable for sure. Overall, the truck feels de-tuned, and my MPG numbers in the short time I've driven it are HORRIBLE. (like 16 mpg!) It completely mystifies me how getting worse mpg is something the EPA wanted to achieve with this AEM, how in the world does that help?!
The EPA goal is low NOX and high CO2. The exact wrong thing to do for the health of our planet.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts