RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
You were questioning issues on altering a 2017 ECM for use in a 2016 truck using the AlfaOBD. I'm here to tell you it can be done. Now you're mentioning cloning and that's outside my expertise. While I'm sure it's a non-issue, I'll let gtsav2006 answer you.

Cloning and using AlfaOBD to change injector codes and VIN are two different processes.
Do you know if it’s possible to take a GDE tuned ECU and transfer the GDE tune to a spare ECU ?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Jerome11, I'm not sure if the problems arose from using a 2017 ECU in a 2016 truck, or if it was just because lady luck didn't like the matchup between the two individual trucks. Either way, the 2017 ECU was throwing codes and not liking being in the 2016, even though I programmed the injector codes (the fault code was mainly with the throttle body). So, I think using AlphaOBD gives you a pretty good shot at success, but there are no guarantees you won't run into any issues. Also, you have to ask what software version is running in the salvaged ECU, and are you going to be okay with that? In my case I was perfectly content with the OEM program and wanted to preserve that as a known quantity, so a clone was a great solution for me. By the way, I've had the AEM completed and my feedback on it is that the truck's acceleration lags, especially when cold, feels like you have to apply way more throttle to get it going, it's subtle, but noticeable for sure. Overall, the truck feels de-tuned, and my MPG numbers in the short time I've driven it are HORRIBLE. (like 16 mpg!) It completely mystifies me how getting worse mpg is something the EPA wanted to achieve with this AEM, how in the world does that help?!
Tks
Jerome11, I'm not sure if the problems arose from using a 2017 ECU in a 2016 truck, or if it was just because lady luck didn't like the matchup between the two individual trucks. Either way, the 2017 ECU was throwing codes and not liking being in the 2016, even though I programmed the injector codes (the fault code was mainly with the throttle body). So, I think using AlphaOBD gives you a pretty good shot at success, but there are no guarantees you won't run into any issues. Also, you have to ask what software version is running in the salvaged ECU, and are you going to be okay with that? In my case I was perfectly content with the OEM program and wanted to preserve that as a known quantity, so a clone was a great solution for me. By the way, I've had the AEM completed and my feedback on it is that the truck's acceleration lags, especially when cold, feels like you have to apply way more throttle to get it going, it's subtle, but noticeable for sure. Overall, the truck feels de-tuned, and my MPG numbers in the short time I've driven it are HORRIBLE. (like 16 mpg!) It completely mystifies me how getting worse mpg is something the EPA wanted to achieve with this AEM, how in the world does that help?!

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
discussed in this thread :
Programming new ECM to ED with AlphaOBD
====
Notes from thread : ( all too complicated for me ...)

-bench reader (Ktag). KessV2, which is what most of the OBD tuners use , can only read the EEPROM.
- dump the MAP
- the bench flashing "is the only way to clone it the right way
- You can get cheap chinese knockoffs of Kess/Ktag off of ebay,
- with the newer K-suite software so that the EDC17C79 can be read/write.
- some purchased a "european" (( read chinese )) KessV2 clone off of ebay.
one guy wrote : '' Might be a pile of junk.... we'll see. It was only $78 bucks and I can return it.''

- also used : '' micropod 2 knock off & a version of the WiTECH software.''
- using Autel , long video on how to flash : jump to 23:00...

------------------------------
many posts from above thread :

- post # 105 first hints to dumping complete tunes by wasaab
- post # 110 , original Vin , subsequent Vins flashed to ECM s ( original and current VIN )
- post #113 , saving a complete GDE tune
- post # 114 , possibility of mismatched Vin s making troubles with key fob recognising ...
- post # 116 , truck starts and runs with wrong injector codes, but with wrong Vin it dies after 3 seconds.

·
Registered
226 Posts
discussed in this thread :
Programming new ECM to ED with AlphaOBD
====
Notes from thread : ( all too complicated for me ...)

-bench reader (Ktag). KessV2, which is what most of the OBD tuners use , can only read the EEPROM.
- dump the MAP
- the bench flashing "is the only way to clone it the right way
- You can get cheap chinese knockoffs of Kess/Ktag off of ebay,
- with the newer K-suite software so that the EDC17C79 can be read/write.
- some purchased a "european" (( read chinese )) KessV2 clone off of ebay.
one guy wrote : '' Might be a pile of junk.... we'll see. It was only $78 bucks and I can return it.''

- also used : '' micropod 2 knock off & a version of the WiTECH software.''
- using Autel , long video on how to flash : jump to 23:00...

------------------------------
many posts from above thread :

- post # 105 first hints to dumping complete tunes by wasaab
- post # 110 , original Vin , subsequent Vins flashed to ECM s ( original and current VIN )
- post #113 , saving a complete GDE tune
- post # 114 , possibility of mismatched Vin s making troubles with key fob recognising ...
- post # 116 , truck starts and runs with wrong injector codes, but with wrong Vin it dies after 3 seconds.
Thank you so much.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts