RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

ECM Clone Requests

13K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  Ramguy85 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Everyone,

At this point, I have received a few requests from members asking for assistance in cloning their ECM's. I did not start this thread as a solicitation attempt, so I hope the mods to not view it that way, or if it needs to be moved to a different sections, please feel free to do so.

While I am happy to help out other members with their needs, if you send me a PM, please DO NOT tell me what is on the ECM that you are requesting to be cloned. I do not need to know, and with the current climate it's probably better for everyone if that information is not transmitted. I do not need to know if it is pre-AEM, PPEI, GDE, etc. Whatever is on the ECM is your software, you own it, and whatever you do with the cloned ECM after it is returned is your business. If for some reason I need additional information, there are other ways we can transmit that information.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding!

Update: I have figured out how to match the "Original" and "Current" VIN's from a stock image (Not a clone) on a salvaged ECM. Before anyone asks, this will not be possible with AlfaOBD because some changes are required in the FLASH.

Feel free to PM me if this is something you are interested in.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Everyone,

At this point, I have received a few requests from members asking for assistance in cloning their ECM's. I did not start this thread as a solicitation attempt, so I hope the mods to not view it that way, or if it needs to be moved to a different sections, please feel free to do so.

While I am happy to help out other members with their needs, if you send me a PM, please DO NOT tell me what is on the ECM that you are requesting to be cloned. I do not need to know, and with the current climate it's probably better for everyone if that information is not transmitted. I do not need to know if it is pre-AEM, PPEI, GDE, etc. Whatever is on the ECM is your software, you own it, and whatever you do with the cloned ECM after it is returned is your business. If for some reason I need additional information, there are other ways we can transmit that information.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding!
If you don’t have a problem with it please send me your personal email address to the following email : : : Jerome 1401@gmail.com

#19 ·
Jerome11, I'm not sure if the problems arose from using a 2017 ECU in a 2016 truck, or if it was just because lady luck didn't like the matchup between the two individual trucks. Either way, the 2017 ECU was throwing codes and not liking being in the 2016, even though I programmed the injector codes (the fault code was mainly with the throttle body). So, I think using AlphaOBD gives you a pretty good shot at success, but there are no guarantees you won't run into any issues. Also, you have to ask what software version is running in the salvaged ECU, and are you going to be okay with that? In my case I was perfectly content with the OEM program and wanted to preserve that as a known quantity, so a clone was a great solution for me. By the way, I've had the AEM completed and my feedback on it is that the truck's acceleration lags, especially when cold, feels like you have to apply way more throttle to get it going, it's subtle, but noticeable for sure. Overall, the truck feels de-tuned, and my MPG numbers in the short time I've driven it are HORRIBLE. (like 16 mpg!) It completely mystifies me how getting worse mpg is something the EPA wanted to achieve with this AEM, how in the world does that help?!

#26 ·
discussed in this thread :
Programming new ECM to ED with AlphaOBD
====
Notes from thread : ( all too complicated for me ...)

-bench reader (Ktag). KessV2, which is what most of the OBD tuners use , can only read the EEPROM.
- dump the MAP
- the bench flashing "is the only way to clone it the right way
- You can get cheap chinese knockoffs of Kess/Ktag off of ebay,
- with the newer K-suite software so that the EDC17C79 can be read/write.
- some purchased a "european" (( read chinese )) KessV2 clone off of ebay.
one guy wrote : '' Might be a pile of junk.... we'll see. It was only $78 bucks and I can return it.''

- also used : '' micropod 2 knock off & a version of the WiTECH software.''
- using Autel , long video on how to flash : jump to 23:00...

------------------------------
many posts from above thread :

- post # 105 first hints to dumping complete tunes by wasaab
- post # 110 , original Vin , subsequent Vins flashed to ECM s ( original and current VIN )
- post #113 , saving a complete GDE tune
- post # 114 , possibility of mismatched Vin s making troubles with key fob recognising ...
- post # 116 , truck starts and runs with wrong injector codes, but with wrong Vin it dies after 3 seconds.

#27 ·
discussed in this thread :
Programming new ECM to ED with AlphaOBD
====
Notes from thread : ( all too complicated for me ...)

-bench reader (Ktag). KessV2, which is what most of the OBD tuners use , can only read the EEPROM.
- dump the MAP
- the bench flashing "is the only way to clone it the right way
- You can get cheap chinese knockoffs of Kess/Ktag off of ebay,
- with the newer K-suite software so that the EDC17C79 can be read/write.
- some purchased a "european" (( read chinese )) KessV2 clone off of ebay.
one guy wrote : '' Might be a pile of junk.... we'll see. It was only $78 bucks and I can return it.''

- also used : '' micropod 2 knock off & a version of the WiTECH software.''
- using Autel , long video on how to flash : jump to 23:00...

------------------------------
many posts from above thread :

- post # 105 first hints to dumping complete tunes by wasaab
- post # 110 , original Vin , subsequent Vins flashed to ECM s ( original and current VIN )
- post #113 , saving a complete GDE tune
- post # 114 , possibility of mismatched Vin s making troubles with key fob recognising ...
- post # 116 , truck starts and runs with wrong injector codes, but with wrong Vin it dies after 3 seconds.
Thank you so much.