RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford has marketed the Eco Boost as the wonder motor, great mileage, great performance, great everything.... . I test drove one, and then went on F-150.net and saw the owners reported mileage, it was in general very poor.

Truck Trend, page 76 this issue reports on the long term vehicles. The Ecoboost reported an average milage of 14.6 mpg for the year. I understand there was towing mixed in the driving, but there was a lot of daily driving also. In a half ton, I would rather have the V8 gasser.

This is where the Ram with the VM A630 motor will really set the bar in the half ton market.

Marsman

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
A small displacement engine with turbos has the potential for good mileage combined with power when needed. For best results it requires a restrained driving style that keeps the turbos in check most of the time, something that may elude most American drivers. The approach is fairly common in passenger cars (I have owned a couple) but I am surprised Ford used it in a truck, although maybe I shouldn't be because the half-ton pickup is a car for many people.

Ford has put all its chips into the EcoBoost approach across the lineup to meet CAFE laws, although in the end there is only so much a gas burner can be tweaked. The Ram EcoDiesel is a different approach that has merit but is a niche market in the U.S. Both Ram and Ford know that V8s are a dead end. Hybrids are surely in the works for the future. We will see how it plays out.

·
Registered
149 Posts
DieselDan owns one I'm sure he will chime in here. He's towed, pushed, jumped, loaded and done everything in between with his. OK I exaggerate with the pushing and jumping.

IIRC he was getting down into the single digits while towing when he went to Colorado this year (headwind, elevation)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I get roughly the same gas mileage when my truck is not running an aftermarket tune. (14-16mpg city 17-19mpg highway). I normally run with the Edge Tuner using a fuel economy tune and I get closer to 17-18 in the city, 19-21 on the highway.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 2008 Chevy Duramax got 15-16 around town, and 19-20 on the highway, the 2006 Ram with 5.9 Cummins got 16+ around town, and 22 on highway. I guess the economy reason is why I never got a half ton truck in the first place.... and why I am considering the Ram with the VM A630.

The local ford dealer gave me a demo ecoboost for a weekend, amazing what that little motor will put out.....

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Diesel Dan, my read is the application would be good in a car like the Taurus, in a truck the motor is under boost, = more air, more fuel, and less fuel economy.

My problem, even the 2 days I had one, was keeping my foot out of the turbo.... if ya got it, ya use it..... In part that is why the little 3.0 diesel is appealing.... the performance will stink, but it will do everything I want a half ton truck to do, and should get good fuel economy.
to get something you got to give something.....

still half ways temped to get a used 2011-2012 duramax..... my whole family liked and used the 2008 Duramax, even though we never really fully used the trucks towing capability. The 2006 Ram/Cummins was fun, but it was a rough ride, and I sold to my nephew, a mechanical engineer, and cummins nut.... it will suit him better, but the 5.9 is a heck of a motor.
The 5.0 Cummins is probably over kill for a half ton.... but if it were in the Ram or Chevy, I would buy it in a second. Not sure about the Titan.... I read the October truck sales figures, and for October, Nissan sold 984 Titans across the whole USA.... that's terrible... will Cummins put the Nissan Titan on the map? is it worth taking a chance on a Titan? with a new motor? vs the Ram with the VM A630 motor that has been in use in Europe for 3 years?

As much as I would like the Cummins 5.0, I do not really like the look of the Titan and I don't want to take that risk.

If Toyota or Chevy put the 5.0 cummins in their truck, I would buy one.

Marsman - soon to be Ex-Mayor !

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Talking about the 5.0 cummins, that would make a nice smaller diesel for a 3/4 ton truck, IMHO.

·
Registered
151 Posts
One thing I really like about the new RAM is all of the technology that it has. It's Navigation system/gauges/ are top notch. I had a buddy that just purchased a 2014 RAM 2500 over the weekend and let me drive it yesterday. I was blown away how nice it was inside! The interior was certainly on par with a BMW/Lexus. The new coil spring setup in the 2500 is awesome. I hit train tracks going 35mph and just a little bump. On the older ones you might have broken some teeth :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Diesel Dan, my read is the application would be good in a car like the Taurus, in a truck the motor is under boost, = more air, more fuel, and less fuel economy.

My problem, even the 2 days I had one, was keeping my foot out of the turbo.... if ya got it, ya use it..... In part that is why the little 3.0 diesel is appealing.... the performance will stink, but it will do everything I want a half ton truck to do, and should get good fuel economy.
to get something you got to give something.....

still half ways temped to get a used 2011-2012 duramax..... my whole family liked and used the 2008 Duramax, even though we never really fully used the trucks towing capability. The 2006 Ram/Cummins was fun, but it was a rough ride, and I sold to my nephew, a mechanical engineer, and cummins nut.... it will suit him better, but the 5.9 is a heck of a motor.
The 5.0 Cummins is probably over kill for a half ton.... but if it were in the Ram or Chevy, I would buy it in a second. Not sure about the Titan.... I read the October truck sales figures, and for October, Nissan sold 984 Titans across the whole USA.... that's terrible... will Cummins put the Nissan Titan on the map? is it worth taking a chance on a Titan? with a new motor? vs the Ram with the VM A630 motor that has been in use in Europe for 3 years?

As much as I would like the Cummins 5.0, I do not really like the look of the Titan and I don't want to take that risk.

If Toyota or Chevy put the 5.0 cummins in their truck, I would buy one.

Marsman - soon to be Ex-Mayor !
Titan needs a serious update. Not a fan at all of it. Cummins is the ONLY thing that makes the Titan attractive, other than that it's one ugly truck in my opinion.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies fellows, let's see what the truck is like when it comes out. I did some rough calculations, and the fuel economy savings is not as great as I expected. Comparting the GM 5.3 gas motor at 20 mpg, and the Ecodiesel at 27 mpg, for 12000 miles, appx 1 year use for me, with the cost differential of diesel at .70 cents higher than gasoline, the savings is only $177 per year.

Am I buying the diesel for economy? not the only reason, the primary reason is I am buying the diesel because I like diesels.

Marsman

·
Registered
1 Posts
My question is, how does the mileage do when pulling loads? I read the numbers for the Ram but don't know how the gassers do. My 07 Grand Cherokee 3.0 Diesel gets around 6 mpg better than the 07 gas one (non Hemi) I had pulling a 2500# trailer. It also is able to maintain speed much better on hills.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Thanks for all the replies fellows, let's see what the truck is like when it comes out. I did some rough calculations, and the fuel economy savings is not as great as I expected. Comparting the GM 5.3 gas motor at 20 mpg, and the Ecodiesel at 27 mpg, for 12000 miles, appx 1 year use for me, with the cost differential of diesel at .70 cents higher than gasoline, the savings is only $177 per year.

Am I buying the diesel for economy? not the only reason, the primary reason is I am buying the diesel because I like diesels.

Marsman
Add in the cost of DEF and the fuel savings compared to gas are nearly zero at today's prices. That is unfortunate and is not likely to change given the worldwide demand for diesel. At least we are rewarded by consuming far less fuel to go the same distance as gas which is the main reason this engine is being brought to market. Of course there are other diesel advantages we all know about. ;)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
My question is, how does the mileage do when pulling loads? I read the numbers for the Ram but don't know how the gassers do. My 07 Grand Cherokee 3.0 Diesel gets around 6 mpg better than the 07 gas one (non Hemi) I had pulling a 2500# trailer. It also is able to maintain speed much better on hills.
It depends on driving conditions, of course, but some magazines have towed with it came away happy. PickupTrucks towed a 3000 lb boat on a 12-mi urban route and got 15.4 mpg compared to 22.7 mpg unloaded. FourWheeler towed a much heavier load over steep Tejon Pass in Southern Cal both directions and got 13.8 mpg versus 26.1 mpg unloaded on a mixed route. I guess that a more prudent driver would probably get much better mpg when towing 2500 lbs.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Here's another fuel economy test from TruckTrend on a controlled circuit that reports "real world" results for a Ram EcoDiesel 4x4 as "19 city and 26 highway with the shorter 3.92 axle ratio, and 18 city, 28 highway with the taller 3.55 axle ratio. That puts its combined fuel economy figure at 21-22 mpg. For a 3-ton truck with up to a 9200-pound towing capacity, that's a highly respectable figure."

Idea: This forum might want to collect all the various tests and reviews of the EcoDiesel in one place for us.

·
Registered
89 Posts

Marsman
And don't forget the incentives are cut for diesel. I did all my homework for my situation and the payback would take 21 years. Lol. I would not do much towing so I determine it was not for me. Went with pentastar. What a motor and tranny package. Tons of power and just put my first tank of fuel thru it at 28 mpg. About equal to diesel estimates. Cost me $16 000 less. That number comes from the $8500 incentive they are cutting on diesel and $7500 diesel option cost in canada.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
And don't forget the incentives are cut for diesel. I did all my homework for my situation and the payback would take 21 years. Lol. I would not do much towing so I determine it was not for me. Went with pentastar. What a motor and tranny package. Tons of power and just put my first tank of fuel thru it at 28 mpg. About equal to diesel estimates. Cost me $16 000 less. That number comes from the $8500 incentive they are cutting on diesel and $7500 diesel option cost in canada.
The Pentastar seems like a reasonable motor for general use and is certainly cheaper initially than the Hemi or EcoDiesel. If you are getting 28 mpg U.S. then you are a great economy driver!--it's rated 16/19/23 (2014 4x4 base model). I discounted the Pentastar because my experience with small engines is that their fuel economy plummets when worked hard and the mpg unloaded is rated only a little better than the Hemi. Further, the Pentastar is not very popular and not even available on the higher-end models, so the resale value will be lower. Still, if it fits your budget and driving style that's what matters.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts