RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
These guys are right. You put 4 doors on this ram and towing goes down to 7200. When I gave my dealer my order they explained that this engine is for towing small trailers and small boats. Does not matter to me because I am buying it to load stuff in the back, for fuel economy and for long engine life. I drive 2 and half hours a day to work and need an engine that will go hundreds of thousands of kms. The dealer said this engine will not last if people are planning on towing 6000lbs around everyday. That's the job of the hemi and 6L diesels. I hope the people that are going to buy the ecodiesel are not planning on pulling with it like a hemi. Anyone buying will probably get the same explanation I got. The dealers do not want people being uninformed and blowing these things up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I'm looking for too the MPG's If I need to tow I can borrow the sons truck. Have not talked to any dealers yet so i'm just taken everything in from this forum..I need to sell a few thing before I order one. Want to go in with around 20k down if I can swing it..

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
These guys are right. You put 4 doors on this ram and towing goes down to 7200. When I gave my dealer my order they explained that this engine is for towing small trailers and small boats. Does not matter to me because I am buying it to load stuff in the back, for fuel economy and for long engine life. I drive 2 and half hours a day to work and need an engine that will go hundreds of thousands of kms. The dealer said this engine will not last if people are planning on towing 6000lbs around everyday. That's the job of the hemi and 6L diesels. I hope the people that are going to buy the ecodiesel are not planning on pulling with it like a hemi. Anyone buying will probably get the same explanation I got. The dealers do not want people being uninformed and blowing these things up.
Call me cynical but it sounds like your dealer was just trying to push what they had on the lot. There is nothing inherent in the Hemi that makes it better for regular towing, if anything the diesel is better suited to that task. Yes, the 1500 has a limited tow rating and adding weighty options such as a crew cab and a diesel take away from it--that is obvious--but if we stay within the ratings nothing is going to "blow up." I was told that Ram bases their ratings on the SAE Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice so that they should be realistic.

I scanned the boat forum discussion and there is nothing new there, just the usual banter, insults and shoot-from-the-hip opinions. I predict that many small boat owners will love the EcoDiesel once it becomes available and they see for themselves.

Reactions: brickhammer

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't think they were because they have sold everything on the lot. I think they just want to inform people that if you are planning on towing more than 7000 lbs the hemi is rated for that. They know people are going to pull the same loads as they would with the hemi and this engine can't do it. Well it will but not for very long. The numbers are there and a lot of people on the forums are close to that max tow number. Many people are also going with the 9200lbs they advertise. 7000lbs is the number. If you are close the hemi is for you no matter how bad you want a small diesel.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I don't think they were because they have sold everything on the lot. I think they just want to inform people that if you are planning on towing more than 7000 lbs the hemi is rated for that. They know people are going to pull the same loads as they would with the hemi and this engine can't do it. Well it will but not for very long. The numbers are there and a lot of people on the forums are close to that max tow number. Many people are also going with the 9200lbs they advertise. 7000lbs is the number. If you are close the hemi is for you no matter how bad you want a small diesel.
From the 2014 Ram Towing Charts, the EcoDiesel-equipped models have a max trailer weight from 6600 to 9200 lbs, the Hemi from 6750 to 10250 lbs, not much difference. What difference that exists is largely due to the diesel's heavier weight, not its ability. With 3.92 gearing, even the Laramie Crew Cab EcoDiesel can tow 8500 lbs, more than many of the Hemi configurations. Further, the EcoDiesel will likely outlast the Hemi and consume significantly less fuel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts