RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1781 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Sept 19, 2015 my 2015 Eco Diesel Blew Up. Just over 17,000 miles. I was about to do it's second oil change. First one was done by the dealer I bought the truck from. I was on a short trip at the time. Chrysler wanted to tow it a few miles to a local dealer. I didn't want a long distance ordeal so I had it towed 200 miles to the dealer I bought it from. The story is a long one and for this post I'm going to abbreviate it. After about a week the dealer told me I was probably looking at a new engine but that Chrysler had to authorize it (anything over $3,000). They pulled the engine without taking the cab off. They found a broken connecting rod, and disintegrated piston. They then said they would use the "70% Rule" This is where they estimate what it would take to repair the engine at the local dealer and if that cost is greater than 70% of the cost to replace it then they replace it. They blew right past the 70% value so then told me "again" a new engine. Another week goes by and Chrysler wants more pictures. More time goes by and I finally file a case with Chrysler Customer Care on October 14th. The same day the dealer tells me that Chrysler has approved a new engine and it is ordered. On October 16 I hear back from Chrysler Care saying that they would attempt to expedite the parts but that nothing was on order. I called the dealer with a WTF? They assured me that the parts were ordered that morning. I believe that to be true as I heard back from Chrysler Care a couple days later. So parts (long block, gaskets, and a few other things) were finally ordered roughly 28 days after the engine blew. As of today, Oct 26th, I have no ETA for the long block. The other loose parts are "in transit". Other people have ETA's that reach as far as December.

Since the time the engine blew I've been combing this site to figure out just how many others are out there with blown up engines. I've been able to find 10 others. There may be more. I'm sure that all of us would like to hear from the other victims. If you're one of them please chime in with how it's going? Did Chrysler have any explanation on why it happened? And what assurances were you given that it wouldn't happen again? I'm pretty sure there are no answers to these questions....

Here is the list of victims I've found:

1) Marleene - 2014 - 14,290 miles - blew up on 8/30/2014
2) Drdred - 20?? - 15,500 miles - blew up on 8/21/2015
3) Hosse - 2015 - 10,000 miles - blew up on 9/29/2015
4) SRFRacer42 - 2014 - 22,500 miles - blew up on 6/9/2015
5) Pilot_alex - 2015 - 12,460 miles - blew up on approx. 6/14/2015
6) Evansbc - 2014(?) - 22,000 miles - blew up approx. 6/??/2015
7) RSZ978 - 20?? - 10,000 miles - didn't blow up, dealer discovered problem and stated engine needs replacing
8) Jason Vaillancourt - 2014 - 9,200 miles - blew up on 10/7/2015
9) BBJ - 2014 - 13,000 miles - didn't blow up, Chrysler wants the dealer to pull the pan and investigate
10) BlGeco - 2014 - ??,??? miles - blew up 10/26/2015

I believe there are about 7,000 members of this forum. If only eleven of us have blown up engines the percentage might be low. But how many real victims have there been?

Chime In!

Thanks

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Thanks for posting a very informative thread! I've been wondering about the numbers. In the year I've been here, I recall at least 3 or 4 more folks that are no longer on here. Welcome & keep up the great work!

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Round the number up to a guess of 1000 blown engines I believe Ram over the past 2 years has sold over 100,000 and the blown engines so far have been all factory assembly issues not design flaws , the only design flaw that is a possible issue from my understanding is the valve stems sticking up dew to the EGR soot . If this post is intended to show a flawed engine designs personally I don't see it as of right now , but time will tell . Usually engine design flaws show up very quickly and with many , many failures, And I believe 1000 blown engines maybe on the high side of engine failures but we have no way of knowing for sure but that is still 1 percent.
And so far the engine failures have been improperly tightened lower end bearings , or improperly tightened cam bolts.
Now myself I read most of the forums for defects and Ford, Chevy, much worse, and even the brand new designed engine in the Toyota Tacoma is now having issues in their pre-runner , loosing oil pressure going up and down hills , they made the oil pan to small .
But the 4/4 is not having any issues because they made the oil pan bigger on that model .
As far as for myself right now I still couldn't be any happier with my decision to purchase my truck , but that could change if a catastrophic design flaw shows itself in the distant future. That's my 2 cents!!!!!:) I chimed in your welcome!!!!!!

·
Administrator
8,388 Posts
2KR88, Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your engine replacement. It would be helpful if you update the list in your original post as victims chime-in. Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
On Sept 19, 2015 my 2015 Eco Diesel Blew Up. Just over 17,000 miles. I was about to do it's second oil change. First one was done by the dealer I bought the truck from. I was on a short trip at the time. Chrysler wanted to tow it a few miles to a local dealer. I didn't want a long distance ordeal so I had it towed 200 miles to the dealer I bought it from. The story is a long one and for this post I'm going to abbreviate it. After about a week the dealer told me I was probably looking at a new engine but that Chrysler had to authorize it (anything over $3,000). They pulled the engine without taking the cab off. They found a broken connecting rod, and disintegrated piston. They then said they would use the "70% Rule" This is where they estimate what it would take to repair the engine at the local dealer and if that cost is greater than 70% of the cost to replace it then they replace it. They blew right past the 70% value so then told me "again" a new engine. Another week goes by and Chrysler wants more pictures. More time goes by and I finally file a case with Chrysler Customer Care on October 14th. The same day the dealer tells me that Chrysler has approved a new engine and it is ordered. On October 16 I hear back from Chrysler Care saying that they would attempt to expedite the parts but that nothing was on order. I called the dealer with a WTF? They assured me that the parts were ordered that morning. I believe that to be true as I heard back from Chrysler Care a couple days later. So parts (long block, gaskets, and a few other things) were finally ordered roughly 28 days after the engine blew. As of today, Oct 26th, I have no ETA for the long block. The other loose parts are "in transit". Other people have ETA's that reach as far as December.

Since the time the engine blew I've been combing this site to figure out just how many others are out there with blown up engines. I've been able to find 10 others. There may be more. I'm sure that all of us would like to hear from the other victims. If you're one of them please chime in with how it's going? Did Chrysler have any explanation on why it happened? And what assurances were you given that it wouldn't happen again? I'm pretty sure there are no answers to these questions....

Here is the list of victims I've found:

7) RSZ978 - 20?? - 10,000 miles - didn't blow up, dealer discovered problem and stated engine needs replacing
9) BBJ - 2014 - 13,000 miles - didn't blow up, Chrysler wants the dealer to pull the pan and investigate

I believe there are about 7,000 members of this forum. If only eleven of us have blown up engines the percentage might be low. But how many real victims have there been?

Chime In!

Thanks
Welcome to the forum ,sorry to hear about your engine failure as your first post ,very informative reading . You will find the guys and girls here are a great source for info .
Please keep us updated on your progress
Joel

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Round the number up to a guess of 1000 blown engines I believe Ram over the past 2 years has sold over 100,000 and the blown engines so far have been all factory assembly issues not design flaws , the only design flaw that is a possible issue from my understanding is the valve stems sticking up dew to the EGR soot . If this post is intended to show a flawed engine designs personally I don't see it as of right now , but time will tell . Usually engine design flaws show up very quickly and with many , many failures, And I believe 1000 blown engines maybe on the high side of engine failures but we have no way of knowing for sure but that is still 1 percent.
And so far the engine failures have been improperly tightened lower end bearings , or improperly tightened cam bolts.
Now myself I read most of the forums for defects and Ford, Chevy, much worse, and even the brand new designed engine in the Toyota Tacoma is now having issues in their pre-runner , loosing oil pressure going up and down hills , they made the oil pan to small .
But the 4/4 is not having any issues because they made the oil pan bigger on that model .
As far as for myself right now I still couldn't be any happier with my decision to purchase my truck , but that could change if a catastrophic design flaw shows itself in the distant future. That's my 2 cents!!!!!:) I chimed in your welcome!!!!!!
I agree 100%. I think the engine is a solid design.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Interesting thread, thanks for starting it. Yes they have sent pictures of the metal shavings etc and am waiting for info from FCA.
But what I'm curious about is did any of these folks finally get their new engines, and how long did it actually take? A lot of the threads seem to die out without hearing about the resolutions. Or perhaps I just suck at finding this info.

·
Registered
12,806 Posts
Do remember a few that checked back with happy endings on their major engine repairs or replacements. Most always there was a delay that seemed to be like a month or more.

Bummer situation you are in. Just glad you are in warranty. If out, you would really be out as I see no re-built or crate motor solution now or on the horizon.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Seem I've made it past that critical point. Tendency is if something is going to go wrong it is usually within the first few thousand miles unless you are extremely abusive to the vehicle.

Knocking on wood here. 28,000 and still sounds quite.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have had TWO eco diesel engines blow. First was in June 2015 at 39,000 kilometers. Second last week at less than 20,000 kilometers. Very disturbing to see how many are out there with the same problem. FCC always wants to see oil service records. I have always done mine at Chrysler dealers and BEFORE the recommended time. Can never get a reason for what has happened. What type of recourse do we have with these defective engines?

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Interesting thread, thanks for starting it. Yes they have sent pictures of the metal shavings etc and am waiting for info from FCA.
But what I'm curious about is did any of these folks finally get their new engines, and how long did it actually take? A lot of the threads seem to die out without hearing about the resolutions. Or perhaps I just suck at finding this info.
There have been a few that got disgusted & traded out or had a buy back & walked away. It would be helpful to find a way to catalog the member & the outcome...Mods, any ideas?

·
Registered
782 Posts
I tried to add a little to the original post after searching. But I'm sure there's more. Feel free to correct typos....

Victim, Model Year, Miles, Blown Date, Location
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11)2KR88 2015, 17km, 2015
12) Narwnin 2014, 28k mi, 2014, BC
13) Toraman, 2014, 39000kms, ?, Ontario
14) Toraman, ? , 20000kms, ?, Ontario
15) SHNNGNS, 2014, 700mi, ?, New Hamshire
16) Cowboy.24, 2014, 44000kms, Ontario
17) Blown Ecodiesel, 2014, 20,000 mi, ?, Dallas
18) Srow, ?, 30000km, ?, Ontario
19) CT Darnell, 2014, 10k mi, ?, ?
20) Wartym, ?, 10k mi, ?, ?
21) HDDMP, ?, 12k mi, ?, ?
22) Snail Power, 2014, 12k mi, ?, Georgia
23) Dr LP, ?, 56000kms, ?, ?

Observations - there seems to be a few 2015 too. It would be interesting to know if it's the same failure as most 2014's.

·
Registered
74 Posts
there maybe 100 blown motors out of 40,000 sold i would say thats pretty good odds of course nobody wants this to happen to them you buy a new vechile and expect it to be reliable but we do not live in the perfect world

·
Registered
30 Posts
Blown Motor :) The best I can give your for a build date is that I got an email from Chrysler on 4/4/2014 That the build was complete and the truck was being shipped. I have 28000 - 29000 miles. Mine blew 11/5/15 It has been to the dealer literally 10 times, 8 CEL, 1 time wouldn't start, 1 time blown motor.

1 - 20 of 1781 Posts