RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1721 - 1740 of 1799 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
problem with engine intake has two holes

Tow my eco ram 1500 2014 truck to dealership they called me two holes intake. Its one month out warranty got 82,ooo,miles.they are calling ram to see if they will help cover the repair. Has anyone had this problem?

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Tow my eco ram 1500 2014 truck to dealership they called me two holes intake. Its one month out warranty got 82,ooo,miles.they are calling ram to see if they will help cover the repair. Has anyone had this problem?
Seen it often , the EGR valve malfunctions , does not close , and keeps
sending hot exhaust gases in intake manifold , melting a hole in it .
gonna need a EGR cooler too , not just intake manifold .

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm of the opinion that these engines need the intake manifold removed and the valves cleaned of buildup every 50k miles or so. Given then oil blow-by and the diesel soot these engines are constantly exposed to, those valves have to be getting super nasty and killing our economy and performance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to the forum but not to ownership of the ED. Just got my 2016 back from the shop. I have had zero issues with the truck up until now. Total cost of repairs was in excess of $11,000. 117,000 miles on the truck and EGR melted into the intake manifold. Took out the turbo as well. Lucky it did not burn to the ground. Working with FCA to get partial if not complete coverage. Could be covered but had yet to have the Emissions Modification recall completed. Keeping my fingers crossed. Insurance said they would not cover it.....I asked if it would have caught on fire would they have covered it and they said more than likely it would have been covered.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm of the opinion that these engines need the intake manifold removed and the valves cleaned of buildup every 50k miles or so. Given then oil blow-by and the diesel soot these engines are constantly exposed to, those valves have to be getting super nasty and killing our economy and performance.
How often would you recommend cleaning the defuser tube?

·
Registered
3 Posts
New here
About to pull the trigger on a 2019 Ram 1500 ecodiesel CLASSIC

This thread scares me...should I pull out? Or have the engine issues been addressed?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,252 Posts
Never seen a 2019 ED Classic. Still see some 2018s built into December. If it were me knowing what I known now at least from experience with my dealership I would buy the truck then immediately invest in an ECM tune & TCM tune if you tow then enjoy a terrific easy towing & incredibly fuel efficient truck. At least for 100,000 miles as it’s covered by warranty.

I know technically you risk the warranty with a tune but it’s not seen in practice and it makes the truck so much better on so many fronts. May very well go 100,000 miles plus & never see the dealership service bay. The exception would be some kind of wild race tune with other mods.

I would protect the warranty by getting the oil & filter changed at least every 10k per warranty using relatively inexpensive T6 or other approved oil along with a 10k rated filter. Have it documented and receipts if you do / have done the changes as opposed to the dealership. Also change the fuel filter every other oil change with a Mopar filter again protecting warranty. Dealerships charge stupid for a simple fuel filter change many just watch a YouTube video to see how simple it can be done in 5 minutes in your driveway and do it themselves. I do. This is my simple 588,000 mile experience thoughts.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
New here

This thread scares me...should I pull out? Or have the engine issues been addressed?

Thanks
Personally I’d wait on the 2020 EcoDiesel, Redesigned Emissions, Basically Resigned engine.... I’ve seen 2017-2018’s spin bearings, Besides the 2014-2016 MY’s with a extremely high number engine failures , Do you really want to chance a 2019 model based on the previous 5 years of engineering?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I'm with Haul 'n Grass on this one. Try to be patient and wait for the 2020 with the new engine. From what we're seeing, everything about the new truck should be better--especially the towing capacity.

·
Registered
948 Posts
That's what I told the wife yesterday. Instead of upgrading to a 2500, we'll just wait on the new 1500 and maintain the higher efficiency but pick up better tow rating. Of course, that may be a 2022 by the time we do something different.

·
Registered
13,518 Posts
New here

Thanks
Welcome to the forum - first post.

There is no such thing. Some dealers have advertised they exist. Careful looking at their inventory shows they are not Ecodiesels. None were put together with a 2019 manufacture date. Last ones done were 2018's. There just may be a few still around in unsold inventory. Right this minute we have not seen a single 2020 Ecodiesel offered for public sale but many have been built in the past month.

**** All this talk about blowing holes in an intake because of the EGR is rather easily avoided. Turn the EGR off like GDE does or do a delete. The solution is so simple yet owners so often refuse to deal with the solution and would rather hope they can just be the lucky ones that avoid the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New here

Thanks

Welcome to the forum - first post.

There is no such thing. Some dealers have advertised they exist. Careful looking at their inventory shows they are not Ecodiesels. None were put together with a 2019 manufacture date. Last ones done were 2018's. There just may be a few still around in unsold inventory. Right this minute we have not seen a single 2020 Ecodiesel offered for public sale but many have been built in the past month.

**** All this talk about blowing holes in an intake because of the EGR is rather easily avoided. Turn the EGR off like GDE does or do a delete. The solution is so simple yet owners so often refuse to deal with the solution and would rather hope they can just be the lucky ones that avoid the issue.
There is a 2019 Ram 1500 CLASSIC ecodiesel up here in Canada.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
There is no such thing. Some dealers have advertised they exist. Careful looking at their inventory shows they are not Ecodiesels. None were put together with a 2019 manufacture date. Last ones done were 2018's. There just may be a few still around in unsold inventory.
Ram said they would be building the Ram Classic with the Ecodiesel option, however, I don't know if they specified the year. They did say that the Classic would have the 2nd gen Ecodiesel engine, not the gen III engine.

·
Super Moderator
3,252 Posts
I got the Canadian 19 Classic EDs but this Dave Smith ad shows Ram must also be building them for the states. Couple white Jane Tradesmens no Classic badge but scroll down and they have a Black truck with the chrome pkg the Classic badging & Ecodiesel badging also they all list the ED motor and 2019. Bet they sell them cheap. No pricing listed.

1721 - 1740 of 1799 Posts