RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1741 - 1760 of 1794 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yes, but I personally believe that the tunes have changed over the years. My '18 has never had the same issues reported here from the folks with the 14-16s. As a matter of fact, other than the frequency of the regens, you can't tell by just driving the difference between my "friends" 18 with a GDE and my truck.

·
Administrator
8,645 Posts
Yes the tuning has changed The 17's and 18's are basically the same as a post 14-16 AEM truck. You know the tune most people aren't happy with. If your friends GDE tuned truck is no different something is wrong. Are you sure your friend really has a GDE tune?:)

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is my first post. I experienced catastrophic engine failure in my 15’ JGC ED about two weeks ago. Spun a bearing. Knew it instantly. Loud top end clack, low oil pressure, and no oil leaks. Happened at 75k miles. AEM installed. Luckily, I am the second owner, and had purchased it 5k miles ago. Haven’t made it to my first oil change as the new owner. The new engine has been approved under the original Powertrain warranty, and the dealer says that I’ll have my truck back in another week or so. Something that I have found a bit unique in my case, the tech found not only flakes and shavings in my oil pan, but chunks of metal as well. I noticed the issues and pulled over within a hundred yards. No warning at all. Running awesome one second, a pile of scrap the next.
E0AAE48E-2FFD-43AF-ABFF-12CD4B6B4DA4.jpeg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear. Sounds like you have a good dealer though.
Thanks. It hasn’t been a fun experience at all. I purchased the GC from a Honda dealership, as well as an extended warranty. They we’re going to put a used motor in it.. I put an end to that immediately. Took it to a Jeep dealer who is doing it under the original warranty. It has definitely been a stressful situation having no service records to submit for warranty approval. But my dealer and FCA case manager have been exceptional.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Helloo Guys , i'am another victim :)) at 70 ooo km i got some noise from engine , i thought its a injector , but not . Engine runs great , oil pressure was amazing . I tow my 18' trailer for 2 weeks with this noise . But i decided to visit my dealer . They said engine is gone , just bring oilchange records . 2 days after i brought all papers and they said there is metal inside the engine , honestly i checked it before , dipstick was clean , oilfilter wak clean also , without any sign of metal or sparkling particles in it , no idea how they found something inside . So next day FCA approved engine replacement and 10 days after i got new engine .

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
Thanks. It hasn’t been a fun experience at all. I purchased the GC from a Honda dealership, as well as an extended warranty. They we’re going to put a used motor in it.. I put an end to that immediately. Took it to a Jeep dealer who is doing it under the original warranty. It has definitely been a stressful situation having no service records to submit for warranty approval. But my dealer and FCA case manager have been exceptional.
My bet is the Honda dealership stuck 0w20 in for oil from their bulk drum when they took it in on trade. This engine will not tolerate incorrect oil. Glad to hear FCA is going to bat for someone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My bet is the Honda dealership stuck 0w20 in for oil from their bulk drum when they took it in on trade. This engine will not tolerate incorrect oil. Glad to hear FCA is going to bat for someone.
I thought the same thing, but the Jeep dealer requested service records from the Honda dealer. They matched spec.. I’m still waiting for my motor though, it was ordered 10 days ago..

·
Registered
2 Posts
On Sept 19, 2015 my 2015 Eco Diesel Blew Up. Just over 17,000 miles. I was about to do it's second oil change. First one was done by the dealer I bought the truck from. I was on a short trip at the time. Chrysler wanted to tow it a few miles to a local dealer. I didn't want a long distance ordeal so I had it towed 200 miles to the dealer I bought it from. The story is a long one and for this post I'm going to abbreviate it. After about a week the dealer told me I was probably looking at a new engine but that Chrysler had to authorize it (anything over $3,000). They pulled the engine without taking the cab off. They found a broken connecting rod, and disintegrated piston. They then said they would use the "70% Rule" This is where they estimate what it would take to repair the engine at the local dealer and if that cost is greater than 70% of the cost to replace it then they replace it. They blew right past the 70% value so then told me "again" a new engine. Another week goes by and Chrysler wants more pictures. More time goes by and I finally file a case with Chrysler Customer Care on October 14th. The same day the dealer tells me that Chrysler has approved a new engine and it is ordered. On October 16 I hear back from Chrysler Care saying that they would attempt to expedite the parts but that nothing was on order. I called the dealer with a WTF? They assured me that the parts were ordered that morning. I believe that to be true as I heard back from Chrysler Care a couple days later. So parts (long block, gaskets, and a few other things) were finally ordered roughly 28 days after the engine blew. As of today, Oct 26th, I have no ETA for the long block. The other loose parts are "in transit". Other people have ETA's that reach as far as December.

Since the time the engine blew I've been combing this site to figure out just how many others are out there with blown up engines. I've been able to find 10 others. There may be more. I'm sure that all of us would like to hear from the other victims. If you're one of them please chime in with how it's going? Did Chrysler have any explanation on why it happened? And what assurances were you given that it wouldn't happen again? I'm pretty sure there are no answers to these questions....

Here is the list of victims I've found:

1) Marleene - 2014 - 14,290 miles - blew up on 8/30/2014
2) Drdred - 20?? - 15,500 miles - blew up on 8/21/2015
3) Hosse - 2015 - 10,000 miles - blew up on 9/29/2015
4) SRFRacer42 - 2014 - 22,500 miles - blew up on 6/9/2015
5) Pilot_alex - 2015 - 12,460 miles - blew up on approx. 6/14/2015
6) Evansbc - 2014(?) - 22,000 miles - blew up approx. 6/??/2015
7) RSZ978 - 20?? - 10,000 miles - didn't blow up, dealer discovered problem and stated engine needs replacing
8) Jason Vaillancourt - 2014 - 9,200 miles - blew up on 10/7/2015
9) BBJ - 2014 - 13,000 miles - didn't blow up, Chrysler wants the dealer to pull the pan and investigate
10) BlGeco - 2014 - ??,??? miles - blew up 10/26/2015

I believe there are about 7,000 members of this forum. If only eleven of us have blown up engines the percentage might be low. But how many real victims have there been?

Chime In!

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow...today around 5pm, driving my 2018 1500 Ram EcoDiesel. Loud noise like the shroud is running. No lights goes on anywhere. I stop on the side of the road, pop the hood, can tell it's engine problem not trans or wheel. Stopped at a Chrysler Dodge dealer less then a km away. Go inside, ask the guy to take a look. Tells me that it sounds like the engine is done. Under warranty, to 100000km. He says 1-2 months to fix, maybe more. The truck only has 37000 km????? Last wear around 20000 km was the front passenger side 4 wheel bearing!!!! Now I am without a vehicle!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow...today around 5pm, driving my 2018 1500 Ram EcoDiesel. Loud noise like the shroud is running. No lights goes on anywhere. I stop on the side of the road, pop the hood, can tell it's engine problem not trans or wheel. Stopped at a Chrysler Dodge dealer less then a km away. Go inside, ask the guy to take a look. Tells me that it sounds like the engine is done. Under warranty, to 100000km. He says 1-2 months to fix, maybe more. The truck only has 37000 km????? Last wear around 20000 km was the front passenger side 4 wheel bearing!!!! Now I am without a vehicle!!!!
I’m currently sitting at 21 days at the dealer. The motor was ordered two weeks ago, scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hate to hear it for you ... I think this is either only the 2nd or 3rd 2018 that let go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That number seems high to me, but who am I to say... meaning if I was fca, I would be concerned.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Seems high, but with 108,000 vehicles, say 250 fail a month, it would take 36 years for them all to fail. So you have a 2.8% chance of catastrophic engine failure per year.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Seems high, but with 108,000 vehicles, say 250 fail a month, it would take 36 years for them all to fail. So you have a 2.8% chance of catastrophic engine failure per year.
It has been spoken elsewhere 2% is a standard rate for manufacturers, but this obviously seems higher....

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I could be completely wrong ... but I don't remember that many that ate a rod bearing, maybe total of everything??
You should get on facebook and join a few Ecodiesel groups. I haven't been keeping track, but there have been several failures just in the last 3 months or so.

1741 - 1760 of 1794 Posts