RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1761 - 1780 of 1796 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
That number is demand per month. Doesn’t mean 1 to 1 blown engines. Probably is, but we don’t know for sure. I know there was a telling email that surfaced awhile back, but we can’t say without a doubt X number of failures per month.

I’m an optimist and don’t drive around waiting for my truck to fail or catch fire. If it dies, I’ll handle it. But Statistically, it is extremely unlikely to happen. It’s unfortunate that the failures have been so publicized. I do not blame those who’ve aired their displeasure or bad experiences but it’s result is akin to fear mongering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
250 Posts
You should get on facebook and join a few Ecodiesel groups. I haven't been keeping track, but there have been several failures just in the last 3 months or so.
I guess there lies why I have a skewed reality. Being a professional IT guy working in education (got called out of retirement), I will NEVER join facebook. Folks need to read carefully the TOS and the freedoms that are just freely given away. Plus, it was/is the primary catalyst that we have such a divided country.

On a further note: at least with the pending recall, we are getting an actual number of EDs, so the failure rate might be able to be calculated. Number sold 100+K in the US and 50+K in Canada. 3,000 failures then would be 2%.

·
Administrator
8,658 Posts
I guess there lies why I have a skewed reality. Being a professional IT guy working in education (got called out of retirement), I will NEVER join facebook. Folks need to read carefully the TOS and the freedoms that are just freely given away. Plus, it was/is the primary catalyst that we have such a divided country.

On a further note: at least with the pending recall, we are getting an actual number of EDs, so the failure rate might be able to be calculated. Number sold 100+K in the US and 50+K in Canada. 3,000 failures then would be 2%.
Where did you find 3,000 failures. I heard it was up to approx. 7,500

·
Registered
42 Posts
Helloo Guys , i'am another victim :)) at 70 ooo km i got some noise from engine , i thought its a injector , but not . Engine runs great , oil pressure was amazing . I tow my 18' trailer for 2 weeks with this noise . But i decided to visit my dealer . They said engine is gone , just bring oilchange records . 2 days after i brought all papers and they said there is metal inside the engine , honestly i checked it before , dipstick was clean , oilfilter wak clean also , without any sign of metal or sparkling particles in it , no idea how they found something inside . So next day FCA approved engine replacement and 10 days after i got new engine .
Hi Eugene,

What year is your truck?
Reason I am asking is.... what gen motor are they using to replace these motors.

Best of luck with the new motor.

·
Registered
152 Posts
It would be interesting if there was a questionnaire that failed engine owners filled out.

Questions like (besides the obvious year, miles, etc)

Climate, storage (garaged), driving style: max power at every light or baby it off the line and only step on it when you need it, towing frequency, highway vs city, maintenance history, tuned (GDE), etc.

Personally I think driving style is a big one. I baby the engine until it gets up to 150 degrees and will do everything possible to keep the PSI under 70. That is the main screen I keep up on the EVIC (coolant temp, oil temp, oil pressure). I live in South Florida, so doesn't take long to get up to temp. However, on my 2015 ED (currently have an 2018), I lived in Connecticut and I would start driving it hard pretty quick (even in cold weather and it was my first diesel), had no idea about any of the engine issues until I got my first CEL late last year and was researching it here. I saw some of the pics of the intakes without GDE and pretty much decided I wanted a new truck that I would take better care of and GDE tune ASAP. It didn't hurt that they practically gave me the 2018 and gave me a ton for my trade. Net difference was about 8k (4x4 to a 4x2).

I am very grateful for this forum and the great members who are always looking to help out.

·
Administrator
8,658 Posts
It would be interesting if there was a questionnaire that failed engine owners filled out.

Questions like (besides the obvious year, miles, etc)

Climate, storage (garaged), driving style: max power at every light or baby it off the line and only step on it when you need it, towing frequency, highway vs city, maintenance history, tuned (GDE), etc.

Personally I think driving style is a big one. I baby the engine until it gets up to 150 degrees and will do everything possible to keep the PSI under 70. That is the main screen I keep up on the EVIC (coolant temp, oil temp, oil pressure). I live in South Florida, so doesn't take long to get up to temp. However, on my 2015 ED (currently have an 2018), I lived in Connecticut and I would start driving it hard pretty quick (even in cold weather and it was my first diesel), had no idea about any of the engine issues until I got my first CEL late last year and was researching it here. I saw some of the pics of the intakes without GDE and pretty much decided I wanted a new truck that I would take better care of and GDE tune ASAP. It didn't hurt that they practically gave me the 2018 and gave me a ton for my trade. Net difference was about 8k (4x4 to a 4x2).

I am very grateful for this forum and the great members who are always looking to help out.
You mean like the one FCA was using with the engine failures.
Survey Diesel Bottom end failure.jpg

·
Administrator
8,658 Posts
Why would one buy a 3500 diesel and never tow with it? I'll never understand some people on this planet...
The question was "what did the customer drive before purchasing the ecodiesel" Answer "2011 Ram 3500.
The questions that follow are all relate to the ecodiesel.

Why would one offer a negative comment without first reviewing the questionnaire? :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Still, I wouldn't own a truck if I didn't need to tow things heavier than 2000lbs. Personal opinion. I enjoyed having a diesel sedan and a 4x8 trailer. Got 40mpg when I wasn't towing and was just as capable as a light truck in the offchance I needed to haul something. The sedan was a much more fun vehicle to drive.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
454 Posts
Still, I wouldn't own a truck if I didn't need to tow things heavier than 2000lbs. Personal opinion. I enjoyed having a diesel sedan and a 4x8 trailer. Got 40mpg when I wasn't towing and was just as capable as a light truck in the offchance I needed to haul something. The sedan was a much more fun vehicle to drive.

I drive a pickup as I can easily get into it. Due to age and injuries I have a very ahrd time getting into and out of a sedan - especially a small one. With a truck no problem. The fact that it has a bed is a bonus, no need to own a trailer

·
Administrator
8,658 Posts

Lol

·
Registered
152 Posts

I don't tow, and I drive a truck. But I use the pickup bed all the time (every day). So, not sure of your logic. Not sure how to get sheets of plywood in a sedan...or when I use it to take construction debris to the transfer station.

·
Registered
152 Posts
You mean like the one FCA was using with the engine failures.
View attachment 84453
Yes, that is great. But a questionnaire on the forum so that we can compare the results and draw our conclusions from the data. FCA does not release that info to the public.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I drive a pickup as I can easily get into it. Due to age and injuries I have a very ahrd time getting into and out of a sedan - especially a small one. With a truck no problem. The fact that it has a bed is a bonus, no need to own a trailer
Many of the same reasons we bought a new truck. At 60, it's much easier to climb into and fall out of than falling into and having to climb out of. I don't have to worry what my wife wants to pick up at the garden shop or when.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I was in at the local service department, there was another Ecodiesel that had a bad engine.
It was either a 2015 or 2016, and under warranty. Not sure on all the details, just heard the service manager talking about it with one of the advisors. Sounded like oil cooler failure, but wasn't sure.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I don't tow, and I drive a truck. But I use the pickup bed all the time (every day). So, not sure of your logic. Not sure how to get sheets of plywood in a sedan...or when I use it to take construction debris to the transfer station.
I used a 4x8 trailer if I needed a bed. I rarely needed a bed. If i just needed a bed on the regular and no towing capacity, I'd buy a light truck like a Tacoma

·
Registered
2 Posts
On Sept 19, 2015 my 2015 Eco Diesel Blew Up. Just over 17,000 miles. I was about to do it's second oil change. First one was done by the dealer I bought the truck from. I was on a short trip at the time. Chrysler wanted to tow it a few miles to a local dealer. I didn't want a long distance ordeal so I had it towed 200 miles to the dealer I bought it from. The story is a long one and for this post I'm going to abbreviate it. After about a week the dealer told me I was probably looking at a new engine but that Chrysler had to authorize it (anything over $3,000). They pulled the engine without taking the cab off. They found a broken connecting rod, and disintegrated piston. They then said they would use the "70% Rule" This is where they estimate what it would take to repair the engine at the local dealer and if that cost is greater than 70% of the cost to replace it then they replace it. They blew right past the 70% value so then told me "again" a new engine. Another week goes by and Chrysler wants more pictures. More time goes by and I finally file a case with Chrysler Customer Care on October 14th. The same day the dealer tells me that Chrysler has approved a new engine and it is ordered. On October 16 I hear back from Chrysler Care saying that they would attempt to expedite the parts but that nothing was on order. I called the dealer with a WTF? They assured me that the parts were ordered that morning. I believe that to be true as I heard back from Chrysler Care a couple days later. So parts (long block, gaskets, and a few other things) were finally ordered roughly 28 days after the engine blew. As of today, Oct 26th, I have no ETA for the long block. The other loose parts are "in transit". Other people have ETA's that reach as far as December.

Since the time the engine blew I've been combing this site to figure out just how many others are out there with blown up engines. I've been able to find 10 others. There may be more. I'm sure that all of us would like to hear from the other victims. If you're one of them please chime in with how it's going? Did Chrysler have any explanation on why it happened? And what assurances were you given that it wouldn't happen again? I'm pretty sure there are no answers to these questions....

Here is the list of victims I've found:

1) Marleene - 2014 - 14,290 miles - blew up on 8/30/2014
2) Drdred - 20?? - 15,500 miles - blew up on 8/21/2015
3) Hosse - 2015 - 10,000 miles - blew up on 9/29/2015
4) SRFRacer42 - 2014 - 22,500 miles - blew up on 6/9/2015
5) Pilot_alex - 2015 - 12,460 miles - blew up on approx. 6/14/2015
6) Evansbc - 2014(?) - 22,000 miles - blew up approx. 6/??/2015
7) RSZ978 - 20?? - 10,000 miles - didn't blow up, dealer discovered problem and stated engine needs replacing
8) Jason Vaillancourt - 2014 - 9,200 miles - blew up on 10/7/2015
9) BBJ - 2014 - 13,000 miles - didn't blow up, Chrysler wants the dealer to pull the pan and investigate
10) BlGeco - 2014 - ??,??? miles - blew up 10/26/2015
11) a-redhook- 2014 - 77,000 miles 11/17/2019
I believe there are about 7,000 members of this forum. If only eleven of us have blown up engines the percentage might be low. But how many real victims have there been?

Chime In!

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
so now what? no warranty! trucks paid off . Im out of state working And have a rental uhal to tow my work trailer. I have a week to get home for christmas . should I get a new truck? buy new engine?

1761 - 1780 of 1796 Posts