RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1781 - 1796 of 1796 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
so now what? no warranty! trucks paid off . Im out of state working And have a rental uhal to tow my work trailer. I have a week to get home for christmas . should I get a new truck? buy new engine?
I think you have a couple of options but the first one is probably quicker and should be less stressful.
Option 1: Start with your insurance company. If the repair estimate is greater than 70% of the value of your truck, then it's totaled. That's part of what you have been paying for.
Option 2: Your insurance company should help with this one. Go after FCA to either get the engine replaced on their dime, or to give you the value towards a different truck.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hi Eugene,

What year is your truck?
Reason I am asking is.... what gen motor are they using to replace these motors.

Best of luck with the new motor.
Sorry bud , i didnt see your question , so far so good , dealer got new engine within 3 days , plus they spent 1 week to replace . No hard time given by dealer . What i dont like , i feel something like transmission noise , its quete but just a little annoying , probably mechanic forgot something to assemble LOL

Снимок экрана 2020-05-04 в 20.34.08.png
Снимок экрана 2020-05-04 в 20.33.56.png
Снимок экрана 2020-05-04 в 20.33.41.png
Снимок экрана 2020-05-04 в 20.33.27.png

·
Registered
284 Posts
Our 2014 ED was running fine but dealer noted it appear to be weeping oil in a number of places while in to tend to a suspension noise. Determine excessive blow-by pushing oil out and obtained approval for replacement under my extended warrant. EGR cooler update completed as well. Steering gear had a slight click that sounded like inner tie rod end. That was replaced as well. Totally hassle free experience. Highly recommend Piedmont CDJR in Anderson SC for those anywhere near there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our 2014 ED was running fine but dealer noted it appear to be weeping oil in a number of places while in to tend to a suspension noise. Determine excessive blow-by pushing oil out and obtained approval for replacement under my extended warrant. EGR cooler update completed as well. Steering gear had a slight click that sounded like inner tie rod end. That was replaced as well. Totally hassle free experience. Highly recommend Piedmont CDJR in Anderson SC for those anywhere near there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I'm new to diesel motors so the language and acronyms I'm trtingto wrap my head around. with prices being very favourable due to covid, I'm considering a 2019 or 2020 Ram 1500 Platinum with ED motor. Anybody own these years and can advise if similar issues with engine or cooler problems have occurred. I'd rather not deal with issues of this nature.
the other option is moving up to a 2500 and getting the cummins motor. Being a newbie to Diesel I'm torn in deciding if its all worth it. I'm a patient man with service depts for all of 30 seconds.lol

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,354 Posts
Hi, I'm new to diesel motors so the language and acronyms I'm trtingto wrap my head around. with prices being very favourable due to covid, I'm considering a 2019 or 2020 Ram 1500 Platinum with ED motor. Anybody own these years and can advise if similar issues with engine or cooler problems have occurred. I'd rather not deal with issues of this nature.
the other option is moving up to a 2500 and getting the cummins motor. Being a newbie to Diesel I'm torn in deciding if its all worth it. I'm a patient man with service depts for all of 30 seconds.lol
Most people come to forums to complain about vehicle failures, not to say there hasn't been any issues with the EcoDiesel but the picture painted is darker than it really is. There is lots of EcoDs that have rolled over the 100K mark without issues.
Maybe give us an idea of how the vehicle will be used and we can give you a better idea of which way to go.
Keep in mind there is both the Gen4 and Gen5 body styles with EcoDiesel engines, the 2020 Gen5 body style has a newer revision of the engine (not much has been reported back, so that should be a good thing).

·
Registered
549 Posts
There is only a 2020 with the Gen 3 ED. 2019 is classic only Gen 2 ED available only in SLT and black color in Canada. Gen 3 is new internals and new emissions system. So Gen 2 owners can't really give much info on those at the moment. It could be an excellent update, or it could be a dog time will tell. They have had more than enough time to work the bugs out with the updates, so you would think the new motor should be more reliable. But we all know what happens in the first 2 or 3 years of production of a new motor.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Having a 2012 dmax with 25486 on the odo and a 2015 ecodiesel jeep 48xxx on it, I have only had a def heater issue with the truck... short trips as well....

The jeep had a def injector issue.... oil spec change, shifter issue, emissions recall... i would say 2500 all the way. Bullet proof drive train, better resale and never wish you bought a bigger truck.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
284 Posts
Our 2014 has 227000 miles on it. Given it was running fine and not using a significant amount of oil, I was really surprised that it got the new engine. But our dealer has been outstanding and fully utilized the warranty. I've been quite happy with the Eco Diesel whether running to work, hauling a load of mulch or towing the 8000 lbs enclosed car trailer cross country. We purchased a 2020 Gen 3 eco diesel last month and it has not missed a beat in the first 4500 miles. I have the 2014 listed in the for sale section but may end up keeping it for my son if it doesn't sell. I know a number of other ED owners in the upstate SC area that are in the 70-150K mile range and all have had trouble free ownership of their14-18 Eco diesels. While I also like the 2500 with the Cummins, I couldn't justify the heavier duty truck and lower fuel economy. Plus my better half really didn't want to have to climb even higher to get in our truck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On Sept 19, 2015 my 2015 Eco Diesel Blew Up. Just over 17,000 miles. I was about to do it's second oil change. First one was done by the dealer I bought the truck from. I was on a short trip at the time. Chrysler wanted to tow it a few miles to a local dealer. I didn't want a long distance ordeal so I had it towed 200 miles to the dealer I bought it from. The story is a long one and for this post I'm going to abbreviate it. After about a week the dealer told me I was probably looking at a new engine but that Chrysler had to authorize it (anything over $3,000). They pulled the engine without taking the cab off. They found a broken connecting rod, and disintegrated piston. They then said they would use the "70% Rule" This is where they estimate what it would take to repair the engine at the local dealer and if that cost is greater than 70% of the cost to replace it then they replace it. They blew right past the 70% value so then told me "again" a new engine. Another week goes by and Chrysler wants more pictures. More time goes by and I finally file a case with Chrysler Customer Care on October 14th. The same day the dealer tells me that Chrysler has approved a new engine and it is ordered. On October 16 I hear back from Chrysler Care saying that they would attempt to expedite the parts but that nothing was on order. I called the dealer with a WTF? They assured me that the parts were ordered that morning. I believe that to be true as I heard back from Chrysler Care a couple days later. So parts (long block, gaskets, and a few other things) were finally ordered roughly 28 days after the engine blew. As of today, Oct 26th, I have no ETA for the long block. The other loose parts are "in transit". Other people have ETA's that reach as far as December.

Since the time the engine blew I've been combing this site to figure out just how many others are out there with blown up engines. I've been able to find 10 others. There may be more. I'm sure that all of us would like to hear from the other victims. If you're one of them please chime in with how it's going? Did Chrysler have any explanation on why it happened? And what assurances were you given that it wouldn't happen again? I'm pretty sure there are no answers to these questions....

Here is the list of victims I've found:

1) Marleene - 2014 - 14,290 miles - blew up on 8/30/2014
2) Drdred - 20?? - 15,500 miles - blew up on 8/21/2015
3) Hosse - 2015 - 10,000 miles - blew up on 9/29/2015
4) SRFRacer42 - 2014 - 22,500 miles - blew up on 6/9/2015
5) Pilot_alex - 2015 - 12,460 miles - blew up on approx. 6/14/2015
6) Evansbc - 2014(?) - 22,000 miles - blew up approx. 6/??/2015
7) RSZ978 - 20?? - 10,000 miles - didn't blow up, dealer discovered problem and stated engine needs replacing
8) Jason Vaillancourt - 2014 - 9,200 miles - blew up on 10/7/2015
9) BBJ - 2014 - 13,000 miles - didn't blow up, Chrysler wants the dealer to pull the pan and investigate
10) BlGeco - 2014 - ??,??? miles - blew up 10/26/2015

I believe there are about 7,000 members of this forum. If only eleven of us have blown up engines the percentage might be low. But how many real victims have there been?

Chime In!

Thanks
My 2015 blew up 104,028 miles. Bought new July 2015, 4028 miles over the warranty. Had all oil changes done by dealer. Mechanic told me the I was the first owner over 100,000 miles. Mine was in the shop from mid September to mid December. Went around and around with Chrysler. Ended up me paying 6200. They put new engine in. Have a new 100,000 mile warranty.
On Sept 19, 2015 my 2015 Eco Diesel Blew Up. Just over 17,000 miles. I was about to do it's second oil change. First one was done by the dealer I bought the truck from. I was on a short trip at the time. Chrysler wanted to tow it a few miles to a local dealer. I didn't want a long distance ordeal so I had it towed 200 miles to the dealer I bought it from. The story is a long one and for this post I'm going to abbreviate it. After about a week the dealer told me I was probably looking at a new engine but that Chrysler had to authorize it (anything over $3,000). They pulled the engine without taking the cab off. They found a broken connecting rod, and disintegrated piston. They then said they would use the "70% Rule" This is where they estimate what it would take to repair the engine at the local dealer and if that cost is greater than 70% of the cost to replace it then they replace it. They blew right past the 70% value so then told me "again" a new engine. Another week goes by and Chrysler wants more pictures. More time goes by and I finally file a case with Chrysler Customer Care on October 14th. The same day the dealer tells me that Chrysler has approved a new engine and it is ordered. On October 16 I hear back from Chrysler Care saying that they would attempt to expedite the parts but that nothing was on order. I called the dealer with a WTF? They assured me that the parts were ordered that morning. I believe that to be true as I heard back from Chrysler Care a couple days later. So parts (long block, gaskets, and a few other things) were finally ordered roughly 28 days after the engine blew. As of today, Oct 26th, I have no ETA for the long block. The other loose parts are "in transit". Other people have ETA's that reach as far as December.

Since the time the engine blew I've been combing this site to figure out just how many others are out there with blown up engines. I've been able to find 10 others. There may be more. I'm sure that all of us would like to hear from the other victims. If you're one of them please chime in with how it's going? Did Chrysler have any explanation on why it happened? And what assurances were you given that it wouldn't happen again? I'm pretty sure there are no answers to these questions....

Here is the list of victims I've found:

1) Marleene - 2014 - 14,290 miles - blew up on 8/30/2014
2) Drdred - 20?? - 15,500 miles - blew up on 8/21/2015
3) Hosse - 2015 - 10,000 miles - blew up on 9/29/2015
4) SRFRacer42 - 2014 - 22,500 miles - blew up on 6/9/2015
5) Pilot_alex - 2015 - 12,460 miles - blew up on approx. 6/14/2015
6) Evansbc - 2014(?) - 22,000 miles - blew up approx. 6/??/2015
7) RSZ978 - 20?? - 10,000 miles - didn't blow up, dealer discovered problem and stated engine needs replacing
8) Jason Vaillancourt - 2014 - 9,200 miles - blew up on 10/7/2015
9) BBJ - 2014 - 13,000 miles - didn't blow up, Chrysler wants the dealer to pull the pan and investigate
10) BlGeco - 2014 - ??,??? miles - blew up 10/26/2015

I believe there are about 7,000 members of this forum. If only eleven of us have blown up engines the percentage might be low. But how many real victims have there been?

Chime In!

Thanks
Mine blew at 104,028 mechanics told me I was the first owner to make it to 100,000 miles, of course I was out of warranty by 4028 mile.

1781 - 1796 of 1796 Posts