RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
05/07/14 Had my eco-diesel for less than 1,000 miles. Today taking off ramp from highway, my ETC warning light came on and the engine did not respond to the accelerator at all. It went into a fast idle and stayed there. Pulled over and shut the truck off and restarted thinking it would reset, did not. I was close to home, so I kept going. Truck would not shift out of 1st gear. Called dealer and he recommended that I not drive the truck and have it towed to the dealership. As of 5:00 pm, they still had no resolution to the problem.

I searched the web and this seems to be a recurrent problem for quite some time, starting around 2004. In some cases, the truck will accelerate with the driver having no control. Sounds like the Toyota issue a few years back.......

not happy

05/09/14 UPDATE:
Took service department 1 1/2 days to come up with a diagnosis, some sensor in the exhaust system. Naturally, they did not have the part in stock and had to order over night delivery. Today (Friday) they called and that part did not solve the problem and they have to order another part (again not in stock) and over night delivery, but since it is Friday, the part will be delivered on Monday. This does not bode well for repairs on the Eco diesel.

Icing on the cake: When asked why the diagnosis was incorrect, I was told that the problem could be caused by a couple of different defective parts. I then asked why they didn't order both parts and replace the defective one. I was told that Chrysler would only allow them to order one part at a time for a warranty claim.......... Sure hope this next part takes care of it

UPDATE 05/12/14
Part did not arrive, it is now back ordered and earliest delivery is now 10/16 (Friday)

Good Luck on warranty work!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Please clarify when this problem occurred. The dates you posted are all in October, 2014, five months in the future?

Reactions: shaker223

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
Thanks for the update.

Real bummer. Can't comment until you/we find out what really caused it. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
693 Posts
A sure way to annoy the crap out of a mechanic is to ask him "why the diagnosis was wrong." One checks out the symptoms and makes a judgement call on the most likely cause based on the manual and experience. Sometimes the most likely cause of the problem is indeed the cause. Sometimes the problem was actually something else but getting in their and replacing a part also got some connectors reseated so the new part only "appeared" to fix the problem. Sometimes the symptoms are caused by a pretty unlikely problem child. Sometimes the problem goes away even tho the cause was never understood and the mechanic is sure that he didn't really fix it. Stuff can be complicated. The important thing is to have a shop that you can trust to do you right. Then one should cut them whatever slack is necessary.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I try to remind myself that the guys and gals tasked with fixing my truck are not the guys and gals who built it. They're as late to the party as I am, and so need to figure things out. Yes, they have service manuals and experience, but new is new and always has a learning curve. Getting upset with a mechanic is a waste of energy. Unless they actually make a mistake of their own, they didn't make the mistake that brought you to them in the first place.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The next part is now scheduled for delivery is 5/16. Hope they don't have to order a 3rd part as I will be without the truck for 2 weeks. I am not blaming the mechanic, I am blaming Chrysler for their parts inventory system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the update. Unfortunately I had the same thing happen to me on 5/17/14. Only it was less than 10 hours after I took delivery with less than 100 miles. Please let us know how this turns out. I'll follow up when they find out what's wrong with mine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New part arrived and was installed by dealer. Once again, it did not solve the problem. Ordered another part to be delivered on 5/19, that part was installed and it failed to fix the problem. Another part has been ordered and has been expedited to overnight delivery, should arrive early on 5/21. It has been 13 days in the dealers shop...........

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Man I feel for ya.... have they. asked for outside help? Or called ram to consult? If. It isn't fixed soon I would demand a new truck, there must be some sort of lemon law where you are.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Well if that's the case you are almost there!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have escalated the problem to Chrysler and have established a case#. They don't seem very concerned especially since the state of Florida does have a Lemon Law and if a vehicle is out of service more than 15 days in a row it is considered a lemon. The review process once started can take up to 40 days to get decision. After that, if I want another Eco-diesel, I will have to wait the 6-8 weeks for production. Very frustrating to say the least.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I'd bite the bullet and get a new truck!! Who knows what else will pop up! Maybe you can wrangle a 2015 as the last month for orders for 2014 is june!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update on my ETC issue. It's been in the shop for almost a week now. They've replaced the module, but it's still throwing the "ETC needs service" error. They've also asked Chrysler for help since this dealer hasn't seen that many EcoDiesels.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I would call it, you have very few miles, tell them you want a new truck!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update on my ETC issue. It's been in the shop for almost a week now. They've replaced the module, but it's still throwing the "ETC needs service" error. They've also asked Chrysler for help since this dealer hasn't seen that many EcoDiesels.
Well, after 5 days they finally found the problem - a loose connection between the accelerator sensor and the rest of the circuitry. It was located behind the battery along the firewall. Re-seated the connection firmly and all is well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The third part arrived and problem has been solved, one day short of the Florida Lemon Law (15 days). Left on a cross country trip the next day. After 1,000 miles, it is still running well and getting 25.9 mpg when set on cruise control. Hope it hangs together for the entire trip.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts