RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving down the road and check oil light went on/off a few times, felt the truck rumbling then the oil pressure dropped to zero. I pulled over and shut the motor off. Checked under the hood and everything looked fine so I tried starting it up and heard some loud knocks and turned it back off. Looked under the truck and saw a puddle of oil. If that wasn't bad enough, I was in the middle of the Mexican desert chasing my buddy racing the Baja 500. After almost 3 hours I finally got it towed back to Ensenada. It's now back up at the dealer in my hometown. I had just got an oil change last Wednesday at the same dealer so either the motor blew because it's a bad motor or I'm thinking the dealer installed the oil filter incorrectly and the seal went bad, leaking out all of the oil. Before you ask, I was using US diesel! I'll post updates when I get them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
That's an odd thing to read, as my motor just blew up, also at 22K miles yesterday. In my case, there was no leaking oil (before or after she blew), no warnings. I was stopped at a traffic light, next to a large commercial truck. When the light turned green, I pulled away (downhill), and I thought the truck next to me was making a lot of noise (as commercial trucks often do), a few seconds later, I realized the noise was my truck -- kinda like the characteristic diesel rattle, only louder. No warning lights, oil pressure was normal, water temperature was normal. I had my kids in the truck with me, so I kept going. I made it a quarter mile.

My truck has been nothing but a joy for these 11 months, and 22K miles. But now it's sitting at the dealership waiting until their master tech can look at it and say, "yup, the motor's blown", then it's Fiat/Chrysler's turn, then I get in the queue for an engine.... any bets on how long it'll be until I'm back on the road again (I have a loaner "car", but I miss my truck).

·
Registered
258 Posts
Wow
I need a few more details though. Were you racing? Did you hit anything that may have ruptured something or punctured the oil pan?
It sounds like your motor did not blow, maybe something closer to seizing?
When you saw the check oil light the first time and stopped to look, what did you see? (check oil lights are very serious, so I assume you did not ignore it) What were the oil levels at that point?

·
Registered
863 Posts
20-24k is a trend here now for complete engine failures without a neglect from owner!

Head component failures then cylinder and block damage or complete loss!

FCA better look after this issue very soon, if they don't it will get ugly and cause this engine to be shelved

·
Administrator
10,042 Posts
20-24k is a trend here now for complete engine failures without a neglect from owner!

Head component failures then cylinder and block damage or complete loss!

FCA better look after this issue very soon, if they don't it will get ugly and cause this engine to be shelved
Not sure if I would call it a trend. What percentage would you consider it a trend?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Looks like i'll be keeping a close eye on the truck then. I'm sitting at 21k miles right now and have had no issues so far. hope that trend continues, love my truck too much to go without it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow
I need a few more details though. Were you racing? Did you hit anything that may have ruptured something or punctured the oil pan?
It sounds like your motor did not blow, maybe something closer to seizing?
When you saw the check oil light the first time and stopped to look, what did you see? (check oil lights are very serious, so I assume you did not ignore it) What were the oil levels at that point?
I wasn't racing. I was chasing. Chasing this time was following the race truck but on a highway with a bed full of spare parts.

Nothing hit the truck. It was a nice paved road and I did see/hear any hit.

Motor didn't seize as it still runs, but will seize because there's no oil left in it. Zero power, oil spewing out, and loud knocks. The oil looks like it's coming out above the oil pan. Not sure where the filter is? And oil level was what I assume would be normal as the dealer just did an oil change a few days before.

Check oil light flashed on the first time. But I didn't see it, just heard the noise. Only reason I know it came on the first time because I saw it the second/third time, then saw the oil gauge drop to zero. This all happened in less than 4-5 seconds and I was already pulling over to the side of the road.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Not sure if I would call it a trend. What percentage would you consider it a trend?
Most engine failures have been around 20k mileage, resulting in head failure, oil cooler failure, and some turbo failures too.
I guess a trend is when repetitive failures occour around same mileage, or same parts failing due to quality, design, or improperly installed part! If a failure rate is above 2-3% that is an issue for manufacture, and in our survey on board levels for serious issues exceeded 12-14%

We know there is issues, FCA knows there is issues, we just need it sorted and fixed without a hassle!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Most engine failures have been around 20k mileage, resulting in head failure, oil cooler failure, and some turbo failures too.
I guess a trend is when repetitive failures occour around same mileage, or same parts failing due to quality, design, or improperly installed part! If a failure rate is above 2-3% that is an issue for manufacture, and in our survey on board levels for serious issues exceeded 12-14%

We know there is issues, FCA knows there is issues, we just need it sorted and fixed without a hassle!
Yep, I've mentioned it before on here that there is indeed a trend at least with reports from forum members that 20k miles or thereabouts is when major issues happen. Getting worse.

·
Administrator
10,042 Posts

Now I get it. I misread your post as saying engine failure is a trend. The trend at a specific mileage range makes sense.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yup. Many of us will be pissed!

You have to think that the majority of the good people that drive these trucks have not had problems.

When you drop this amount of coin, the last thing you want to do is sweat out a failure.

It will be interesting to follow this and other related threads to see if some sort of pattern shows up.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,505 Posts
When can we see this picture of the oil puddle?

Not good to read this even though there's a blow Ford Ecoboost talked about here. I don't want anyone to have a major failure.

Keep us aware of what is found and thanks for the posting.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.