RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i currently have the 2018 Laramie ecodiesel bought new in August 2018 MSRP was 61k walked out the door for 46k. I leased to buy and owe 31k right now. Lease matures in 4 months. I just passed 40k miles and not one issue with it in those miles. I did buy the extended warranty from Ziegler with the intention to keep the truck. I tow a jayco 29qb 6700 lbs dry and 725 dry tongue weight which I bought new in 2019 as seen in the pic. Between the wdh and air bags the truck is level and I have towed over 5k miles with this setup relying on the air bags to keep everything true. I will get to the point. Today on the way back from a trip the shrader valve on the air lift leaked and the rear dropped about 2 inches and made for a very bouncy and uncomfortable ride home approx 200 miles. Now I am reconsidering my setup and thinking I should trade the eco in for the 2500. Am I over reacting and maybe just upgrade the springs and tires or does the 2500 make sense. I have 3 kids in the back seat, never put anything but 4 bikes and a light tool box in the bed and I am very aware of how I pack the rig. Thoughts??
20210415_164349.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,083 Posts
Depends on how much you tow this trailer? At 6700 lbs dry, once your loaded for camping that's pretty much puts you near up in the upper end of what you want to tow with with this truck.
As for upgrading the to a 2500, you definitely wouldn't have to worry about the payload as much. Your kids are going to get bigger, more stuff will accumulate on the camping trips. As for whether to make the leap to a Cummins vs the 6.4, is this truck a daily driver? How much is it driven daily? If you think you might go to a larger trailer eventually than the CTD might make more sense, the 6.4 w/8spd trans does a great job towing.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
If you were happy with the way it towed with the Air Lift , just replace the schrader valve. Hope it didn't damage an air bag, as they don't like running without air. You got a good deal on the Laramie. A 2500 CTD may be a bit of overkill only towing 6,700 lbs, or you might love it. My guess, today you will not find any Ram, 1500 or 2500 for $13,000 off MSRP.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Indeed this would be my daily driver 14 miles round trip to work. I feel that this short 10 minute trip would do a disservice to the CTD. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,304 Posts
Those are some mighty skimpy WDH bars, I can see the profile of your bars in the picture. You need bigger bars right off whether the 1500 or the 2500.

The WDH bars not only lift the trailer tongue weight, they also lift what's in your box. The bars dictate, not the bags.

My 2017 Ecodiesel, pulling a 21 foot RV, that weighs all full and wet, at least 4750 lbs. But what was in the box is this, the fish gear tote (75 lbs), two coolers full of ice, beer, pop, water. An extra spare tire for the Rv, 6 gallons of water, fire wood, BBQ, then add two dogs, wife, fuel, long story short it was full, and heavy. I weighed the whole setup once, the whole thing was 13,400 lbs, the GCWR max is 13,750 lbs. Add the fuel, kids(dogs), wife, it all adds up very fast.

I use 1000-1400 lb bars and I could at best, level the truck. The chains are tight, but not overly tight. I have a Curt WDH.

I would for starters, on your next trip and all loaded up, find a scale (I use the landfill scales) and weigh your whole truck and Rv, people, etc, all together to get a realistic idea of where you are at. The CAT scales would be the best. I'll bet you are past the GCWR Max. You really need to know what this weight is before deciding. I'll bet that weight will push you to go with the 2500. If you're handy with algebra, you can capture weights of front axle, both axles, truck and Rv, and as you pull on and off the scales, you can calculate pretty close your tongue weight.

While the Ecodiesel pulled our load just fine, the only way we were going to go to a bigger Rv is a bigger truck.

So I traded in the Ecodiesel and bought a 2021 Cummins in April. Without the bars, the Ecodiesel would squat within an inch of the rubber axle bumpers. With bars I could get to about level.

With the 2500, without the bars, the squat was minimal. With the bars it still has a forward rake. I "relaxed" the chain tension a bit on the hitch(via shims in the hitch). We did a first tow 2 weeks ago and weight is no longer an issue. Power wise the Ecodiesel can do it. The Cummins has deep power reserves.

You already have the bigger RV, with slides, and very heavy. My opinion is you need a bigger truck.

I did not have air bags. But I would look at it this way, with the hitch alone you need to be level, and the bags are for trimming things out, afterwards. When the bags fail, which seems often from my reading around here, you now have those bars doing some serious bending. I've seen RV truck setups, with those small bars bent at a crazy angle to keep things level. Something is going to break.

How often you tow is a good question too on deciding between the Cummins or the Hemi.

The rule of thumb of not towing more then 75% of the tow rating is a good one. 75% of 7650 lbs (tow rating for a 2017 3.55 gear Quad Cab is 7650 lbs) is 5737 lbs. People tend to focus on the "dry weight". I would instead home in on the maximum listed Rv total cargo carrying weight, not the dry weight.

So can you tow a 29 foot RV with the 1500? Yes.

Should you? Probably not a good idea in the long run and the 2500 would be the way to go. I personally would not tow such a load with a 1500, it's too much IMO.

The new 2500 is our daily driver, and it gets pretty skookum ok mpg for such a big truck. I am getting on this last tank full, 21 mpg with a mix of freeway and city. I have no comment on the 6.4 Hemi but for it's more affordable and gasoline powered, and probably very thirsty while towing. It comes down to how much towing you plan on doing. If doing occasional and not driving far, I would consider the Hemi. We are retired and plan on snow birding out of Alaska to California for the winter, it's a long ways in miles, and the Cummins was the obvious choice for us.

Good luck on you decision!

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,304 Posts
Indeed this would be my daily driver 14 miles round trip to work. I feel that this short 10 minute trip would do a disservice to the CTD. Thoughts?
The one thing right off on the Cummins versus the Ecodiesel is that is warms up much, much faster then the Ecodiesel. The CTD warms up to full hot in 3-4 miles. The Ecodiesel would take ten miles. In the winter it takes some effort to get the Ecodiesel full on hot. Even with the GDE tune, fast idle and block heater.

The slow to warm up Ecodiesel was the one PITA for that engine. Sometimes I had to find a longer route on real cold days in winter.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
As stated above Cummins much quicker warming up , Playing with Trucks and campers gets expensive quickly, Especially when trading trucks for a different camper ..

Always much better to over size aTruck than undersize a Truck...

Cummins hold their values extremely well....

Now in regards to the airlift bags are those the slide in coil springs ones ? If so replace those bags with some real air bags, Frame to axle ones .. You get what you pay for ... Real air bags seldom go bad ... Usually with real air bags when there’s an issue,it’s because of an airline rubbing a hole, the installer made a mistake when routing the lines...

Just remember all semis and lots of buses are riding on airbags....If they where problematic they wouldn’t be in commercial use ...

Now I’m not referring to Factory airbags on light duty Trucks and Cars , That’s a different conversation...

·
Super Moderator
3,647 Posts
By your description it sounds a bit like you are under utilizing your wdh and compensating with your air bags. The front wheel well gap also looks to be unloaded some. Should you move to a bigger truck? Well you don’t need to for that trailer but you may prefer to depending in part on how else you use that truck. As HYDREX said "My guess, today you will not find any Ram, 1500 or 2500 for $13,000 off MSRP." It's a fair point when you consider a larger truck that is an I want one vs I need one if finances are a concern. Both your existing truck and a new 2500 would have 60k miles of powertrain warranty.

Did your truck come with factory TBC (trailer brake controller) and have you considered investing in an aftermarket tune? For minimizing maintenance repairs and maximising both longevity & safe performance. If investing don’t forget the turbo brake option. The option is very useful for saving brakes, controlling speed & stopping when coming down mountain grades. Naturally the investment is considerably smaller than a new truck.

The WDH should according to truck stop scales replace the unloaded steer weight. Also the WDH should help a lot with setting your tongue weight where you want it. I adjust hitch & loading towards a tongue weight of 12.0 percent of the gross trailer weight. Typical camp weight with minimal travel water is often about a 1,000 pounds over dry weight so 7,700 ish. The air bags should be secondary to the WDH used for ride comfort, suspension support & control, and to level or set the stance you like. At 7,700 ish for trailer weight its heavy enough that if your WDH is way off it could dramatically improve how well the truck handles that trailer. Have even taken them from hands at 10 & 2 at all times to two fingers driveable without any weight reduction. With proper weight distribution the 4th gen 1500 can handle to an 8k TT very well.

Air lift should send you out a replacement part. If you have cheapie in coil bags IMO at minimum look at upgrading the plastic fittings & cheap plastic line. If you have the axle to frame bag set up it should have came with quality line & hardware. If not check with Timber Grove for quality hardware that won’t leave you with leaks. Quality stuff should last for years without leaks like semi trucks. If you want to get away from air Tuff Stuff springs with Sumo neoprene springs to replace the bump stops is another good option. It handles my son in laws 8k TT with boys & a bedful.

If you want we can help and there has been threads dedicated to best set up a travel trailer. This thread has info on tunes & maintenance should you decide to keep her.

Lol had this typed out before the last two posts. ED quick warm up to me is easily solved either with plugging in the block heater and or using your weather front. Then again I don't live in Alaska as sourdo does. I think if sourdo had axle to frame air bags to compliment a built in sway control WDH he might not think 14k CVW was pushing the 1500 platform at all. Its rated by SAE society of automotive engineers J2807 standards to handle up to 15,950 safely & reliably. The somebodys 75% rule of thumb thing makes no sense to me. But triple scales for individual axle weights and Mfgrs individual max specs does. I've taken 15,800 CVW over 6 percent grades and while the motor slowed to 50 mph on the climb the truck was comfortable to include the winding down including speed control with the TBC & turbo brake combo. Naturally good tires. The HD is a better tow vehicle but the 1500 can reliably handle what you have so its more about what you want and are able and willing to pay for.

Reactions: Crash68

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
I just can’t get myself to compare the two power plants/trucks. The Cummins is 10 times the truck the ecodiesel is but the Cummins will never be a 30 mpg commuter. They are just different.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts