RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought it would be fun to do a towing comparison here between the Ecoboost and Eco Diesel. My previous truck was a 2013 F-150 FX4 CC Ecoboost (3.5L 365hp/420ft/lbs) with 3.55 gears. I owned the truck for two years and put on about 61k (38k miles). It was a beautiful truck with many great features but unfortunately mine was a lemon and spent A LOT of time at the dealer. Once the basic warranty expired I made the choice to trade it in on an Eco Diesel because I had zero confidence that the Ford would be a good truck for the 5-6 years I had planned on keeping it for. My current truck is a 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 1500 CC Laramie 4x4 with 3.55 gears. I've had the truck about a month and it only has about 1000km (600miles) on it.

Last weekend I went on a sled trip into northern Ontario that I've been doing for a few years. I also make this trip 6-8 times throughout the year, so I've had lots of experience on this particular route towing the toys. The highway conditions have variable terrain including some stretches of open flats, but also lots of moderate hills with twists and turns. The last leg of the trip consists of a 40km hike on logging roads. Usually I set my cruise between 105-110km/h (65-68mph), with the exception of the logging roads which are driven around 60km/h.

My trailer is a full aluminum 7x14 with 5' V nose that weighs just over 2000lbs. On board I had 2 sleds, an ATV, 2 generators, 10x20L jerry cans and a whole bunch of other little stuff. In the box I had a few coolers and a portable ice hut. 3 guys with more gear in the truck. Trailer easily weighed in at 5000lbs loaded. Overall impression after doing the trip is the Eco Diesel is the better tow truck. I was apprehensive at first because the EcoD is way down on HP compared to the Ecoboost. The only area the Ford excelled at compared to the EcoD was straight up passing power. The Ford is a rocket and does pull hard when you floor it. I was pleasantly surprised though that the EcoD doesn't struggle to get up to speed and actually felt more "planted" than the Ford and also cornered and braked much better. Overall ride quality was better too even though the rear squatted a bit more than the Ford. I would also say the tow/haul mode in the Ram performs better than the Ford. Of course you're all wondering about fuel economy right? This is the best part....

Out of all the trips I made towing this trailer with roughly the same weight and on the same route, the absolute best fuel economy I recorded in the Ecoboost was......24L/100km or 9.8US MPG. Typically I would usually average 26-28L/100km (8.5-9 US MPG). The worst I ever got in a bad wind was 32L/100km (7.3 US MPG). I know, pathetic. You put even a small trailer towing one sled on my Ecoboost and the mileage would drop a lot. Tires always checked for correct pressure, not driving like a race car driver and I don't abuse my stuff. The plain fact is the Eco should be taken away from the Ecoboost nameplate.

Round trip fuel economy in the Eco D.....16.8L/100km or 14 US MPG. I'm super happy with this considering its also winter and diesel MPG drops more than gas with our winter diesel. I was really happy and impressed with how well this Eco D performed compared to the Ecoboost.

060.JPG 061.JPG

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for the report.

I've owned many vehicles throughout the years. The 1500 with the EcoDiesel is by far my favorite. Let's hope reliability will not be a concern.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that was a bit of a concern for me too Maximus. Only time will tell but I am hopeful that FCA got most of the bugs worked out in 14/15 model years, I'm sure it can't be worse than all the trouble I had with my Ecoboost, what a disappointment of a truck. I can't emphasize how enthused I am at the difference in MPG between the two trucks when towing this setup. I can't wait to see how it performs come summer and once I get the engine broken in. The handling of this truck was far better than the Ford. The Ford always felt like the front end was floating and the trailer had more influence on how the truck handled, not the case with the Ram. Having an extra 2 cogs in the tranny is also great, shifted like a champ going up hills. Once and a while I would get harsh shifts with the Ford.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I only have one issue with this truck when it comes to towing: overheating. I towed a 6,500 pound (wet) trailer through BC's high mountain passes in the middle of summer last year. I had a Big Horn, 3.55 at the time (no tune). And the truck had to reduce throttle because it was getting too hot. I've read a few posts from GDE regarding the grille air flow to the radiator and charge cooler. Outdoorsman and Longhorn grills pass more air. I want to say something like 10 - 20% more. Should help keep throttle more open in more challenging conditions.

I traded the Big Horn for a Longhorn with a 3.92 rear end and got the GDE tune. I have much higher expectations for this truck. I'll find out this summer.

Oh and by the way, if you don't know, passing power is much, much better with a tune. Night and day difference. In case you find that's a bit of a problem.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting info about the grilles. It was cold as hell out on this trip, so overheating not an issue. The passing power is ok, but just not as good as the Ecoboost. I will take the better MPG all day long though. A tune is in the cards for me come summer time, if all goes well.

·
Super Moderator
3,968 Posts
I've read a few posts from GDE regarding the grille air flow to the radiator and charge cooler. Outdoorsman and Longhorn grills pass more air. I want to say something like 10 - 20% more. Should help keep throttle more open in more challenging conditions.
Interesting note about the grilles, I went from the stock Outdoorsman grille:

I know some of the BigHorns use a chromed version of this same grille.
I swapped it out to the Longhorn grille cause I liked the looks of it:

The only grille I see being more restrictive is this one:

(none of these are pics of my truck)
Maybe GDE could chime in on this?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
GDE has chimed in on this, and communicated with me directly on the impact of the grill. Based on talking with GDE, I did replace my Laramie "honeycomb" grill with a Long Horn grill.

·
Super Moderator
3,968 Posts
GDE has chimed in on this, and communicated with me directly on the impact of the grill. Based on talking with GDE, I did replace my Laramie "honeycomb" grill with a Long Horn grill.
Did you replace the entire grille assembly? or just the inserts?
Parts Dept messed up and only ordered me the inserts the first time, I wanted the frame part of the grille chrome also. I guess you can swap out just the inserts also.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Tradesman also has the " better grill".

The Ecoboost can outrun an ED towing and non-towing but you PAY in fuel economy.

The Ecodiesel can outrun the Ecoboost in fuel economy all day long. It just isn't as fast.

So what floats your boat, speed or better economy ?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Considering all the pros and cons and the fact that most guys towing big trailers aren't racing, my bet is most drivers would take the MPG and other combined benefits of the EcoD all day long. Plus, my EcoD doesn't MISFIRE everytime I stomp on the pedal to pass! I don't miss my F150 misfire.....ooops Ecopoop...

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Did you replace the entire grille assembly? or just the inserts?
Parts Dept messed up and only ordered me the inserts the first time, I wanted the frame part of the grille chrome also. I guess you can swap out just the inserts also.
just the inserts - which was a freaking pain...but more a pain if you rush, if you take your time and not get frustrated it is pretty simple to do.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Considering all the pros and cons and the fact that most guys towing big trailers aren't racing, my bet is most drivers would take the MPG and other combined benefits of the EcoD all day long. Plus, my EcoD doesn't MISFIRE everytime I stomp on the pedal to pass! I don't miss my F150 misfire.....ooops Ecopoop...
agreed. i still read the EcoBoost forums (I almost bought one...) and i chuckle a bit when they talk about their "excellent" mpg and "so happy/impressed" and they get ...10mpg... 11mpg...when towing essentially the same damn trailer i do and get 14-16mpg. yes it might take me a minute more to get to the top of the mountain, but i more than make up for by not having to stop for... 15, 20 minutes to refill. :)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agreed. I laugh my ass off at how arrogant and narrow minded some of the guys are on the EcoPoop forums, like their truck and engine was Gods gift to the towing world, what a joke. So many try to trash the EcoD but the only thing they have on us is a fast truck, well la dee dah you have a fast truck, but it sucks at everything else.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I did the same trip as CDNLaramie this past wknd with a smaller trailer, 2 sleds, jerry cans, ice hut and misc equipment. I avg'd just under 13.5L/100kms for the 800km trip. My truck has 7600kms on it, and I love it. Ain't the fastest, but it'll pull, and not compromise the truck's ride capabilities. Drove thru a snowstorm for about 45min on our way north, and I felt the EcoD was solid in steering, as well as having enough grunt to passing was needed

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own a 2016 ram 1500 CC ED Laramie 4x4 and I also own a 2015 F150 CC Lariat 4x2 with the 2.7L Ecoboost. The ecodiesel kills the 2.7 ecoboost in fuel mileage empty & towing. The 2.7 will get decent mileage unloaded and you hypermile, but other than that I prefer the Ecodiesel by far. Tows better, rides better, and alot better fuel economy. I will say the 2.7 is really fast though. What's funny is I also own a 2015 Silverado double cab 4x2 with a 4.3L and it is averaging a little better in fuel economy and has 3 aluminum tool boxes with about 600 lbs. of tools & parts in them.

I think the ecoboost engines are an absolute joke because Ford advertises them as being economic. I have never hit Ford's MPG numbers and I've been accused of driving like a grandpa. With normal driving habits they are not economic, you have to really try to get good mileage and that is false advertising in my opinion.

This is the only vehicle that I have bought that actually exceeds the advertised MPG's. If my ecodiesel doesn't give alot of trouble, Ram will have a customer for life with me.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Ecoboost MPG ratings are a total scam. I hope you don't experience all of the engine troubles I had with mine as I rolled into my second year of ownership. I could only get ok fuel economy unloaded in the summer driving like a grandpa in the slow lane on the highway, speeds always under 68mph otherwise she slurped fuel. That was in the first year or 30k, after that I started having all sort of driveability issues and my fuel economy absolutely tanked. Driving around town trying to hypermile I could barely get 14 US MPG or around 17L/100km. Highway I couldn't get better than 14L/100km or around 16 US MPG. Some days my Ecoboost would run good and haul ass, then on other days it would misfire, lose power and responsiveness and start suckin back gas. 5 Sets of spark plugs in 2 years. If I posted the entire list of problems I had you would barf.

I've never been a big fan of Chrysler products, but after all the troubles I've had with other brands of trucks, I'm willing to give anything a try. If this truck is good, they will also have a customer for a long time. Thumbs up for Eco Diesel Power.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Knowing the winter diesel has a lot less kaboom, I'm willing to bet you'll see a healthy 15-20% increase in mileage come summer. I know my old Cummins 5.9 would run around 19 mpg in winter and up to 25mpg in summer with the same driving habits and distances traveled.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So far I've only had one issue with the 2.7 ecoboost (it's actually my wife's truck), the first time that I pulled a trailer at highway speeds the check engine light came on. I stopped by the dealer and the code was an evaporative (emissions code). Couldn't find the problem, cleared it and it has never come back on. The weird thing is, the first time that I pulled the trailer with the ecodiesel the check engine light came on within a mile of where the F150 did. The dealer checked it and it was a slow/low flow egr code. Couldn't find a problem and cleared it and it has never come back on. Coincidence that they came on under the same circumstances and at nearly the same spot of road????? I thought that was really strange.

One thing is for sure, I'll probably never pull a trailer again with the F150 unless I absolutely have to. It just sucks way too much fuel if you drive above 60 mph and the highway speed limits around here are 75 mph.

I'll stick with my ecodiesel, I really love this truck so far it has exceeded my expectations. I just hope it continues to be trouble free.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Guys you need to stop comparing a gasser like the EcoBoost against the EcoDiesel. You will always see better fuel mileage from a diesel loaded and unloaded. Now if you compare an EcoBoost vs its direct competition which is the v8 it does get comparable mileage if not slightly better. And the the added advantage of it being able to out tow its direct competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
4,550 Posts
Guys you need to stop comparing a gasser like the EcoBoost against the EcoDiesel. You will always see better fuel mileage from a diesel loaded and unloaded. Now if you compare an EcoBoost vs its direct competition which is the v8 it does get comparable mileage if not slightly better. And the the added advantage of it being able to out tow its direct competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Topic is Topic and the thread is Battlefield...

1 - 20 of 98 Posts