RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck (2018 Laramie 1500) has 45,000 miles and was purchased new. Had one sensor problem that was replaced by the dealer. Had some oil leaks that were repaired by the dealer. Had an appointment for 8-4-2020 to have the EGR recall service. Last Sunday, I got an error message ”Service Electronic Throttle Control”. Truck lacked power and seemed like the Turbo was not engaging. Called my dealer and they could not see me until next week. I called another dealer and was able to get in yesterday morning. There were two codes that were directly referenced in EGR recall literature (dealer would not let me copy the document). He checked on recall part availability and said he couldn’t get parts for two weeks. Supposedly my dealer has the parts for the recall. The second dealer told me to drive the truck to the first dealer, park it out front and ask for a loaner vehicle. I did that and was provided with a 2019 Rebel to drive. The loaner has a Hemi and it is a beast. Trying to decide what to do once I get my truck back (I did not purchase an extended warranty). May trade it. What do you think?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Honestly, I'd just get the EGR cooler replaced. New one is supposed to be the answer. Should not have driven that darned hemi! I had a 2017 Bighorn hemi as a company truck, btw. Still liked driving the Eco Diesel more, but mine is tuned. Tough call, I'd just keep driving the Eco and get it tuned.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly, I'd just get the EGR cooler replaced. New one is supposed to be the answer. Should not have driven that darned hemi! I had a 2017 Bighorn hemi as a company truck, btw. Still liked driving the Eco Diesel more, but mine is tuned. Tough call, I'd just keep driving the Eco and get it tuned.
To puchase live gizzard shad for Hybrid and Striper fishing, I drive 120 mile each way. Four lane all the way but over the Cumberland Mountains and back down. I drive with cruise control nine MPH over the posted speed limit. EcoD gets 26 MPG, Hemi gets 16.6 MPG. Pulling boat Hemi gets 10 MPG, EcoD gets 16 MPG. Hemi gets the exact same mileage that the 2013 Titan Pro 4X that I traded for the 2018 Ram 1500 Eco D.

Is it too late to purchase an extended warranty on the Ram if it has 45,000 miles?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The truck is still at the dealer and will hopefully get worked on this week. I had an appointment to get the recall performed for tomorrow so hopefully they have the parts. After driving the Hemi over the weekend, I sure miss my EcoD! Assuming the truck gets fixed correctly, seriously considering adding GDE. Talked to them today to confirm that the tune (as well as the stock tune) are stored on a hand held device so the truck can be returned to stock prior to service appointments. That seems like a better solution. The also take Paypal Credit. This gives you six months with zero per cent interest so it is not as big of a one time hit!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Once you get the Ecodiesel tuned, you will forget about the hemi. BTW, I try to do all of my own service and keep it out of the dealer if possible. Can't advise on warrantee, as I've never had to use it on any Ram. All 3 Rams that I have owned have been trouble free. Toyotas, not so much.

·
Registered
13,673 Posts
Read around here on warranty deals. Many are a rip-off. Some are good.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The dealer has had my truck for one week and one day. They had the parts for the update but are chasing a diesel leak that turned up when they were doing the test ride. Supposedly the mechanic has been trying to trace the leak down all day today. Anyone had experiences with leaks after the Recall?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mine's at the dealer getting the EGR cooler replaced. They gave me a brand new Bighorn 1500 Hemi.

I accidentally chirped the tires pulling out of the lot because I'm so used to having to smash the throttle from a stop with the ED. It's a nice truck but overall I'll take my 2018 Laramie ED over a 2020 Bighorn any day.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still don’t have my truck back. The mechanic took it for a test drive and it is leaking diesel. Showing problem with number 5 cylinder but fuel leak is on the other side of the block. Appears they are stumped on what to do. The mechanic that is working on my truck missed work today so nothing got done (He is probably looking for a new job). Very frustrating. I think if I ever get the truck back in working order, I will be an ex-Ram owner as soon as I can get it traded!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got an update from the dealer on Monday (yesterday). The mechanic was able to correct the diesel leak. Only problem that is left is cylinder five is showing a misfire. They will have had my truck for two weeks tomorrow!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got another update today. They think the cylinder problem is the fuel injector. Replacing tomorrow and hopefully the truck comes back home.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still waiting! They are supposed to replace a fuel injector today and hopefully that solves the cylinder problem. I don't trust the Service Advisor so I asked my sales guy (who I do trust) and he talked directly to the mechanic who told him he was trying to get it finished today. We are working on week three at the dealer!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bad news, the new fuel injector did not solve the problem. They will be getting FCA involved tomorrow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts