RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's been a few years since I lurked here, but I'm seriously considering the 3rd Gen EcoD for my next truck. I bought a 2014 Laramie and absolutely loved that truck. I loved it even more when I put the GDE tune in...great product and also did the Bilstein 5100 leveling kit with BFG KO2's. I got 60,000 miles out of the BFG's with the Bilsteins. I put 114,000 miles on the EcoD in 4 years and then went to a Duramax when work switched their fleet over to CHevy/GMC. The 2018 Duramax has been okay. Truck wise, going from Ram EcoD to my Chevy Duramax was several steps backwards. Super small interior compared to the Ram, not as nice of a ride, but much, much better than a Powerstroke, back to a Key Ignition...good grief. NOw my biggest bitch of all with the Chevy: DEF filler under the hood on the passenger side which is opposite the fuel filler. Honestly, just a poor, poor design. I've had a lot of check engine lights. My engine block heater had to be disconnected for a service bulletin for fear of fire. The Bose is junk compared to the Harmon Karmon. And the console layout sucks in the Chevy...just sayin. But the truck looks okay and tows like a beast.

So...all in all, I can't wait to get back in a Ram EcoD. I'll likely go Laramie again with the 3.92's. I had 3.55's last time and I pulled a big Ranger Walleye Boat with it just fine, but the 3.92's will likely be the best option for me. I'm going to forego the Air Suspension too as I'll likely level it again, add a topper, and bag the rear end. Hopefully GDE is on their game ASAP. Might be worth a trip north otherwise. This was a great forum when I left...hopefully it's still a great place to hang out.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Welcome back.

The only rear end ration for the 2020 Ecodiesel is still published as a 3:92. That sure makes your decision easy.

Fuel mileage seems to be like the old Ecodiesel you had. Larger fuel tank is an option now. So far there is NO option to "tune" the 2020's.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been poking around and see there's a few of the old gang still hanging out here. I'm a little disappointed in you, Captain...figured you'd be over 20,000 posts by now. LOL Looks like youwent to a Cummins. Good trucks too.

Yup...I've been on the Ram builder site about 6 times since last night and got it figured out. I'm going with an optioned up Rebel in all White. No air suspension. 3.92s. Moon Roof for sure. Multi Function tail gate look wondrous. And since i've even hit youtube a few times I'm actually considering the rambox storage, but not sure...I like the look of a topper.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
There is life away from the computer. I hunt, competitively shoot long range, boat, fish, ride motorcycle, do antique motorcycle events have 7 grandkids and more. In a couple minutes I am off the the rifle range to design some target holders for steel plates. Wife seems to have survived her two-year ordeal with cancer and it is now more time to do things. Bought the Cummins because it pulls and pulls and pulls with little to no drama. Liked my Ecodiesel. Miss the fuel economy. Don't miss the smaller size and towing ability and the wife biting bout it.

Now that she is healthy it was time to stop that background flak by going back to the Cummins.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Silly pricing for an MSRP I guess.

You can find a solid 20% off MSRP on many models. I would avoid things like the Rebel where they make some cheap cosmetic and badge changes, with a few meaningless suspension tweaks, for big profit. If a name gets into your mind you will pay big for nothing. Find somethng you can use at a reasonable price. The Gen 3 Ecodiesels did not get a significant price increase over 2019's and earlier.

Go find a good deal. They seem to be running without issues.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I would have second thoughts about a new truck right now due to the corona virus out break, a couple of weeks ago I wouldn't have said that. Because of the current events due to the virus our economy is going to take a beating and people are shutting down on everything in life. I'm fairly sure the automotive industry will feel affects as well and sales will be falling off. Somewhere along the line there will be some big discounts and incentives offered and it might be wise to wait a while to see if there isn't better deals coming in the near future!

·
Registered
52 Posts
They had $16,100 off sticker in February. I can't imagine them going much farther than that in the future....unless it gets so bad that they figure huge losses are better than zero sales.

I drove my Dad's 2017 Sierra 3500 Duramax last month. I don't mind the engine I guess, but the trans. sucked and the driver seating/leg position is horrendous. No way I'd live with that truck on a daily basis. It's awful.

The Ram, on the other hand, is far more comfy inside and the EcoDiesel just needs better calibration. The trans/turbo/throttle lag is the worst I've ever experienced, but the aftermarket will fix it later this year.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Roofer guy came here yesterday to give me an estimate. He drove a 2019 Duramax 3500. Fancy, fancy, fancy in some kind of upscale model, I think he wanted paid for the truck. His estimate was $2,000+ more than others. Anyhow, he liked it but also said he had three Cummins trucks in his business fleet. None gave him any trouble.

I am not paying a premium to finance his lifestyle.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
I would have second thoughts about a new truck right now due to the corona virus out break, a couple of weeks ago I wouldn't have said that. Because of the current events due to the virus our economy is going to take a beating and people are shutting down on everything in life. I'm fairly sure the automotive industry will feel affects as well and sales will be falling off. Somewhere along the line there will be some big discounts and incentives offered and it might be wise to wait a while to see if there isn't better deals coming in the near future!
May just find the deal of a lifetime or maybe two. I bet not many are out car shopping in this.

·
Registered
52 Posts
May just find the deal of a lifetime or maybe two. I bet not many are out car shopping in this.
Yeah I guess there's two ways to look at it. Some might say it's a terrible time to be buying a new truck. Others would argue that it's the best time to buy a new truck.

One thing is for sure, since FCA has strong roots in Italy they're going to be hurting pretty bad and moving pickup trucks is going to be job #1 for their bean counters.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well, it's been a few years since I lurked here, but I'm seriously considering the 3rd Gen EcoD for my next truck. I bought a 2014 Laramie and absolutely loved that truck. I loved it even more when I put the GDE tune in...great product and also did the Bilstein 5100 leveling kit with BFG KO2's. I got 60,000 miles out of the BFG's with the Bilsteins. I put 114,000 miles on the EcoD in 4 years and then went to a Duramax when work switched their fleet over to CHevy/GMC. The 2018 Duramax has been okay. Truck wise, going from Ram EcoD to my Chevy Duramax was several steps backwards. Super small interior compared to the Ram, not as nice of a ride, but much, much better than a Powerstroke, back to a Key Ignition...good grief. NOw my biggest bitch of all with the Chevy: DEF filler under the hood on the passenger side which is opposite the fuel filler. Honestly, just a poor, poor design. I've had a lot of check engine lights. My engine block heater had to be disconnected for a service bulletin for fear of fire. The Bose is junk compared to the Harmon Karmon. And the console layout sucks in the Chevy...just sayin. But the truck looks okay and tows like a beast.

So...all in all, I can't wait to get back in a Ram EcoD. I'll likely go Laramie again with the 3.92's. I had 3.55's last time and I pulled a big Ranger Walleye Boat with it just fine, but the 3.92's will likely be the best option for me. I'm going to forego the Air Suspension too as I'll likely level it again, add a topper, and bag the rear end. Hopefully GDE is on their game ASAP. Might be worth a trip north otherwise. This was a great forum when I left...hopefully it's still a great place to hang out.
in your comment, you won't have to option the 3.92 rear end, my 2020 came standard when I ordered it... I wanted the 3.55 rear, and when I ordered, the computer at the dealer wouldn't let you pick and choose a rear... my ole 2016, I never tuned it, was a happy camper with it being stock, so, comparing it to the new 2020 and gen III eco, the Gen III has the power, the acceleration, everything to throw you into the back seat... you may not need to tune it... Gen III has the go juice that Gen II never had... the transmission on the Gen III was tweaked a whole bunch...

·
Registered
86 Posts
if you can remember 9/11, business everywhere went flat, so, this might be just the time to buy, econ is flat because of this Chinese flu crap... dealers and manufacturers are going to be anxious to sell something...the time might be right to buy...

·
Registered
429 Posts
My dealer has a big banner out $19,500 off many (high cost) (LIMITED, LONGHORNs probably) RAM truck on the lot, so that's your starting point. This is a great time to pick up a truck, they need cash and FCAU is not in a strong position right now. They'd love to move trucks... I would think 25% off sticker is possible for the end of this month, if that's your short term goal.

Also the Gen3 Diesel seems to be doing really well from reports on this board, is that true?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Also the Gen3 Diesel seems to be doing really well from reports on this board, is that true?
I haven't seen one yet with enough miles to know.

Highest mileage one I've seen was on YouTube and he only had 13,000 on the clock.

So far I do love mine, but mileage hasn't been what the window sticker said and the factory powertrain calibration is the worst I've ever had in any gas or diesel vehicle in my life. The aftermarket will cure that later I'm sure.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Read around this forum. There are literally no major failures reported by Gen 3 owners. That is quite unlike the introduction of the Ecodiesel back in 2014.

·
Registered
889 Posts
FCA is advertising 0% for up to 7 years and 4 months of no payments right now. That may not get you as good of discount off the sticker but it might make the payments more friendly. All of them are advertising curbside delivery so you don't even have to go to the dealer lot/showroom.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I ordered my truck about 3 weeks ago. You pay when it gets delivered, which means I should get many of the discounts, rebates, and other incentives offered at that time. So, ordering isn't a bad idea since you'll most likely get many of the same discounts. A truck already on the lot might be the best deal, but you'll rarely get exactly what you want found on a lot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts