RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'd like to start by saying that I am the single owner of a 2018 Ram Ecodiesel with currently 66,500 miles. I also am the recipient of a new engine (here is a link to my post as to what happened with the previous engine Blown engine - 2018 62,000 miles). In short, my truck blew its engine in May 2022 and the truck sat at the dealership until early September 2022 waiting on the engine/install. I then reinstalled my GDE emissions compliant tune about a week after getting the truck back.

Here is my issue, within 50 miles of getting my truck back in early September, I got a CEL with code P226E related to a NOx sensor in bank 2. I figured this was triggered due to the DEF sitting in my tank for months at the dealership waiting on the engine and the couple months from my last fill up and possibly my injector tips being crystalized. Being frustrated with the code (hindsight might not have been the best idea, should have brought it to the dealership), I went to get the code cleared from my local autoparts store and put fresh DEF in the tank as the tank was about 1/4 full when I got my truck back. The code went away and that was when my truck had a little more than 62k miles.

Fast forward 2 and a half months and I've driven the truck about 3,500 miles and the code pops back up again except this time with the message, "Service DEF, See Dealer". I ran a diagnostic once I stopped and it was the same code, P226E. I cleared the code with my scan tool and then the code popped back up not even 5 miles later. This all happened on the Saturday. I made the decision to go to the dealership first thing Monday morning and get the code fixed under warranty.

Sunday rolls around and I make a 40 mile round trip and I noticed in a quick stop to the store that the CEL is gone now. No idea what happened, but I really wanted to get it resolved and probably trade the truck in.

To add to this, not sure if its related, but I've seen other members report 500-700 miles between regens with the GDE emission compliant tune and I've notice that my truck is regening every 250-300 miles. I'm wondering if that is normal and the other people are the outliers or if I'm the outlier.

Thank you for your insight!

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Regen intervals well vary depending on your usage, driving conditions, driving style, fuel quality, what oil you use, etc. Its not useful to compare it to others without knowing all the above. Short trips make the soot level climb quick and even freeway driving things like speed change how quickly it happens. Mine with short trips can regen less than a hundred miles but freeway is more like 600 miles.

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Bighorn 4x4
465 Posts
Hello everyone,

I'd like to start by saying that I am the single owner of a 2018 Ram Ecodiesel with currently 66,500 miles. I also am the recipient of a new engine (here is a link to my post as to what happened with the previous engine Blown engine - 2018 62,000 miles). In short, my truck blew its engine in May 2022 and the truck sat at the dealership until early September 2022 waiting on the engine/install. I then reinstalled my GDE emissions compliant tune about a week after getting the truck back.

Here is my issue, within 50 miles of getting my truck back in early September, I got a CEL with code P226E related to a NOx sensor in bank 2. I figured this was triggered due to the DEF sitting in my tank for months at the dealership waiting on the engine and the couple months from my last fill up and possibly my injector tips being crystalized. Being frustrated with the code (hindsight might not have been the best idea, should have brought it to the dealership), I went to get the code cleared from my local autoparts store and put fresh DEF in the tank as the tank was about 1/4 full when I got my truck back. The code went away and that was when my truck had a little more than 62k miles.

Fast forward 2 and a half months and I've driven the truck about 3,500 miles and the code pops back up again except this time with the message, "Service DEF, See Dealer". I ran a diagnostic once I stopped and it was the same code, P226E. I cleared the code with my scan tool and then the code popped back up not even 5 miles later. This all happened on the Saturday. I made the decision to go to the dealership first thing Monday morning and get the code fixed under warranty.

Sunday rolls around and I make a 40 mile round trip and I noticed in a quick stop to the store that the CEL is gone now. No idea what happened, but I really wanted to get it resolved and probably trade the truck in.

To add to this, not sure if its related, but I've seen other members report 500-700 miles between regens with the GDE emission compliant tune and I've notice that my truck is regening every 250-300 miles. I'm wondering if that is normal and the other people are the outliers or if I'm the outlier.

Thank you for your insight!
Just out of curiosity, have you tried cleaning the DEF injector?
It is my understanding that the truck regens based on usage type?
I have a 2015 and typically get around 400 miles or so with my driving. Although I have the older GDE tune strictly for my off road use.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Hi: KBA CPA... There's no confusion about it. Your trucks EVIC "lies like a rug". I've had so many that I just don't believe 'em any more. They usually clear themselves and my service advisor said if the MIL light isn't flashing keep on driving. If its flashing tow it in!!!
I did buy a Bissel steam cleaner for the DEF injector and use Hot Shots Extreme Diesel treatment in the fuel tank periodically. Stealerships don't sell it cause it fixes so many issues they make money on!!! www.hotshotsecret.com
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie

·
Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Deleted Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 276,000 KM.
2,288 Posts
Hi: KBA CPA... There's no confusion about it. Your trucks EVIC "lies like a rug". I've had so many that I just don't believe 'em any more. They usually clear themselves and my service advisor said if the MIL light isn't flashing keep on driving. If its flashing tow it in!!!
I did buy a Bissel steam cleaner for the DEF injector and use Hot Shots Extreme Diesel treatment in the fuel tank periodically. Stealerships don't sell it cause it fixes so many issues they make money on!!! www.hotshotsecret.com
I'm sure that a good tune like GDE would clear up your CEL lights and make your rig drive like a dream. Its never too late.........

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Brokedownbutgood Thank you for this - I guess it makes sense as I drive probably 40 mile round trips daily and that allocation is around 70/30 highway to city. I'll keep tracking it, but didn't know if it had any correlation to the CEL I got.

@1shadowsabre - I have not cleaned the injector as that is what I assumed the dealership was going to do first. Now that the code is gone, I may try to do this myself after watching some tutorials.

@Dieseldragon this definitely isn't the first time my truck has thrown random codes and they fix themselves within a few days! EVIC is going crazy.

@Ecosparky - I do have the emission compliant GDE tune and oh man did that make the truck leaps and bounds better. I honestly love the truck because its exactly what I wanted, good MPG. But starting to doubt the reliability may be worth more at the pump and less at the mechanics. Thankfully its been under warranty this entire time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If anyone is curious, I cleaned my DEF injector, which was about a 15 minute job and my first time doing it since I bought the truck. Here are some pictures of the before and after. I’ll update this post if the check engine light comes back on but for now, I’ll just document the CEL for my records.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel Big Horn Granite Crystal 4x4 CC 6'4" box
1,051 Posts
You didn't post a pic of the port being cleaned but I suspect you did. I think you have cleaned away a repeat problem for now and have now found a periodic maintenance item to add to your list.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You didn't post a pic of the port being cleaned but I suspect you did. I think you have cleaned away a repeat problem for now and have now found a periodic maintenance item to add to your list.
Yes, I did clean it. The 3rd picture was about halfway finish when I was cleaning the port. It was about 10:30 at night so wanted to get inside!!

If this keeps my check engine light off for that NOx sensor then I’ll probably do it every oil change.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I had an issue with DEF deposit buildup since I do a lot of short commutes. My DEF injector was replaced under warranty, but I'm now using Platinum DEF which leaves the system clean. Tractor Supply recently had a pre-Black Friday sale offering $5.00 dollars off each jug, so I ordered several jugs.

Reactions: KBA CPA

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had an issue with DEF deposit buildup since I do a lot of short commutes. My DEF injector was replaced under warranty, but I'm now using Platinum DEF which leaves the system clean. Tractor Supply recently had a pre-Black Friday sale offering $5.00 dollars off each jug, so I ordered several jugs.

I’ve been buying DEF from my local truck stop from the pump for the last few years. With how cheap it is at the pump, may be just worth the peace of mind in cleaning the injector at every oil change.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I’ve been buying DEF from my local truck stop from the pump for the last few years. With how cheap it is at the pump, may be just worth the peace of mind in cleaning the injector at every oil change.
That's not a bad idea, however, you're still getting deposit buildup in the SCR system which will eventually block flow.

"Since the inception of SCR, there have been issues with deposit build-up, especially with low-quality DEF. Low speed operation, extended idling, short trips, and stop and go driving can prevent the SCR system from reaching and maintaining optimal temperatures, which can result in deposit buildup.
This deposit buildup can choke off the exhaust system causing a reduction of power and economy. Once this buildup accumulates, it can require time consuming disassembly, mechanical cleaning, or component replacement to make the system functional again. Even worse, the engine can de-rate to a crawl or completely shut down until repairs are made, leaving the vehicle dead on the road.
Since these deposits cannot be removed and can lead to costly repairs, using a premium DEF like BlueDEF Platinum is key.
Jay Gagnon, the senior product manager for BlueDEF at Old World Industries, recommends all diesel engine owners perform the following maintenance checks to minimize the risk:
  1. Don’t skip preventive maintenance or ignore small problems in any of the vehicle’s sub systems. Small problems can lead to expensive repairs.
2. Regular Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) maintenance. Regeneration only oxidizes particulates; it does not remove ash. Follow the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule for DPF cleaning to prevent DPF clogging and failure.
3. Prevent contamination of the DEF system by keeping tank filling ports and tank caps clean.
4. Store DEF in dedicated containers. Purity is critical as DEF is very sensitive to contaminates. Don’t re-use other fluid containers to store DEF.
5. Change DEF filters regularly according to the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule.
6. Don’t run the DEF tank empty. The engine will de-rate and eventually shut down if you run out of DEF.
7. Keep the DEF tank full. Top it off at the end of the day to prevent condensation from forming, which could lead to contamination.
8. Use the latest innovations in DEF to prevent SCR system deposits from forming. It’s a critical investment to ensure efficiency and prevent future maintenance.
Why Invest in a Premium Diesel Exhaust Fluid?
For those unfamiliar with the Old World Industries’ BlueDEF Platinum, it’s a mixture of high purity synthetic urea, deionized water and a proprietary formulation. The formulation features Advanced System Shield Technology, which with regular use, significantly reduces harmful deposits that commonly build up in modern diesel exhaust systems with SCR.
Reducing harmful deposits not only provides optimum fuel economy, but ultimately sustains the life of the system. Without the SCR system that requires DEF and other related systems, diesel vehicles would run far less efficiently at a much higher cost. When all is said and done, if you look at the fuel economy gains (even if you add in the additional cost of purchasing DEF), vehicle owners still find their total net output is less than before the introduction of these new technologies.
With today’s advanced systems, there’s been a 90% decrease in diesel exhaust emissions since the ‘90s. In fact, DEF is classified as an organic compound, and is carefully regulated by the American Petroleum Institute."

• Love
Reactions: KBA CPA

·
Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Classic Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
764 Posts
2. Regular Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) maintenance. Regeneration only oxidizes particulates; it does not remove ash. Follow the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule for DPF cleaning to prevent DPF clogging and failure.
Why would there be significant ash from oxidizing soot? I would think there is very little mineral content in the fuel. If there is ash, how do you clean it from the DPF?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To update, cleaning the DEF injector lasted about 3 days (about 125 miles) and my check engine light came back on last night with the same P229E code. Guess I’ll plan to be at the dealership first thing next week.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
To update, cleaning the DEF injector lasted about 3 days (about 125 miles) and my check engine light came back on last night with the same P229E code. Guess I’ll plan to be at the dealership first thing next week.
Hi: KBA CPA... When you attend the "Stealership"... take an interpreter!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Why would there be significant ash from oxidizing soot? I would think there is very little mineral content in the fuel. If there is ash, how do you clean it from the DPF?
Modern diesel engines require a low ash oil. Not all low ash oils are equal, some leave more ash. DPF filters will eventually need to be replaced due to the buildup of ash deposits.

As far as I know, the best way to clean the DPF is to remove the filter and run a cleaner through it.

Reactions: SlowRoller

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To follow up with this some more, the check engine light went away on my final trip back to my house Sunday after right before bringing it the dealership.

I reached out to GDE with the code an an explanation of what happened and to paraphrase, he basically said there is either a short or open circuit in the NOx sensor and The only way to fix it is to replace the sensor, part number 68250214AB.

In looking around, the part costs roughly $300 or so and to be honest, I just ordered the part myself and plan on fixing it myself rather than trying to get the work done through the dealership via warranty. It’s sad to say that I dislike my local dealer to the point where I rather pay the costs than them keep my truck and give me the run around the entire time.

I hope this helps anyone else that may have the P229E code.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
To follow up with this some more, the check engine light went away on my final trip back to my house Sunday after right before bringing it the dealership.

I reached out to GDE with the code an an explanation of what happened and to paraphrase, he basically said there is either a short or open circuit in the NOx sensor and The only way to fix it is to replace the sensor, part number 68250214AB.

In looking around, the part costs roughly $300 or so and to be honest, I just ordered the part myself and plan on fixing it myself rather than trying to get the work done through the dealership via warranty. It’s sad to say that I dislike my local dealer to the point where I rather pay the costs than them keep my truck and give me the run around the entire time.

Hi: KBA CPA... I love to "Run around". Any excuse to drive my truck is Ok by me!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Premium Member
2016 Big Horn 4X4 Engine and Transmission tuned by no longer available (but truck runs good)
215 Posts
It’s sad to say that I dislike my local dealer to the point where I rather pay the costs than them keep my truck and give me the run around the entire time.

I avoid my local dealer as much as possible, have considered ordering all the parts for tone wheel and doing that on my dime, and at any time the decide to cover any-and-all tone wheels I'll just try to get reimbursed :rolleyes:, currently there is no way I'd consider local Dealership touching my HPFP or my ECM :oops::unsure::cry:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It might be a coincidence, but I just put 8 fl oz of the hot shot diesel extreme in my tank at my last fill up a week ago. After driving about 400 miles since then, another CEL popped on today with code P026D related to “higher than expected fuel”. I reached out to GDE who said it may have just been a bad batch of fuel but I’ll go fill up my tank today and see if the light comes back on.

GDE did say that my NOx sensor issue was not related to this issue.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts