RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Ecodiesel DEAD 14 hours after WARRANTY!!! ***FINAL UPDATE

8K views 45 replies 22 participants last post by  Dieseldragon 
#1 ·
Hey Gang I guess I'm here to tell my tale and hear if I should expect any pushback on warranty claim. Here is the story:

Purchased 2016 Ecodisel on June 30 2016
Canada powertrain warranty is 100k and or 3 years.
I purchased an extension to 5 years for $2500 (this will be June 30 2021......)
I've had a few warranty issues including timing cover leak, injector replacement.... and many more. I have all service records including oil changes.
I've always been asked to pay for diagnostics, then I get a bill for ZERO dollars and walk away annoyed, but happy I'm not out of pocket.
I drive out to Kelowna not towing, but dash says 46c outside. Engine temps and gauges are fine with coolant 98c, trans 96c and oil 100c. Going up a hill engine looses power, Low Oil pressure warning. I pull over immediately leaving no more than 50 feet of oil on the road. So much oil i assumed the oil filter had come off, or similar.
This was on JUNE 30 2021 (7pm). THE VERY LAST DAY OF MY "Gold Plan" Extended Powertrain Warranty (od was 85,000KM)

I get it towed to a ok tire who are closed. I get it towed to a dealer in Kelowna BC. She immediately tells me Sorry to Say your Warranty has ended. I explained that this happened on June 30 and she can call BCAA for tow records if it comes to that. She then said that it wasn't received to her yard until after it had expired. She quickly walked that back but it still put me on edge like this claim was going to be a fight.

I still don't have an official diagnostic report as they have taken pictures and sent off to Fiat/Chrysler and are waiting for the go ahead. She did say the following:
1. oil was still in engine. Leak appeared to be higher by the starter. Could be a thrown rod. Engine is seized.
2. tech took oil pan off, and lots of metal. Could be a "thrust bearing" but she doesn't know because she doesn't have the report. We need to wait for F/C to approve then she will send details to me.

QUESTION TIME:
This seems like a HUGE stroke of luck that I still had 4 hours on warranty when the failure happened. Warranty purchase date 6/30/2016. Plan code 415 (i assume they call this Gold?) and it is for 60 months or 5 years.
1. Last day is the 30th. This is at midnight right? If it was July 1st I would be out, but this was June 30. Should I expect any push back?
2. I flew back today before an official report. Can I expect a rental car? Dealership did not have courtesy cars...
3. Should i ask they put on a flatbed to Calgary, or cover my flight or is that outside the realm and more of an insurance thing?

Thanks for reading. Any Comments are welcomed.
Cheers
-Marshall
Calgary Alberta

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Marshall, what a story! This feels like it's straight out of a movie, with minutes to spare.
In my opinion, you are in the clear with warranty claim, but it might be a battle because insurance companies "thrive on negative emotions"
I'd ask for every other thing you mentioned - those who do not never get. But those who ask - get.
Keep us posted. So sorry you have to go through "another one biting the dust", and only at 85k km...

#3 ·
Sorry to hear this. I'm not sure why you didn't have the regular 5 year / 100km powertrain warranty. It's whatever comes first. That's not extended. That's normal. The 3 year warranty is for sheet metal.
Like I've mentioned here before. They will ask for all documentation relating to maintenance. If you've had it all done at the dealer, no problem, if you've done some yourself, gather up the part numbers, mileage when done for everything (filters, oil etc).

#6 ·
Sorry to hear this. I'm not sure why you didn't have the regular 5 year / 100km powertrain warranty. It's whatever comes first. That's not extended. That's normal. The 3 year warranty is for sheet metal.

***I'm mistaken. I paid to have the regular warranty extended.

Like I've mentioned here before. They will ask for all documentation relating to maintenance. If you've had it all done at the dealer, no problem, if you've done some yourself, gather up the part numbers, mileage when done for everything (filters, oil etc).

****Never did an oil change myself. I have all recipts

#4 · (Edited)
Hey Gang I guess I'm here to tell my tale and hear if I should expect any pushback on warranty claim. Here is the story:

Purchased 2016 Ecodisel on June 30 2016
Canada powertrain warranty is 100k and or 3 years.
I purchased an extension to 5 years for $2500 (this will be June 30 2021......)
I've had a few warranty issues including timing cover leak, injector replacement.... and many more. I have all service records including oil changes.
I've always been asked to pay for diagnostics, then I get a bill for ZERO dollars and walk away annoyed, but happy I'm not out of pocket.
I drive out to Kelowna not towing, but dash says 46c outside. Engine temps and gauges are fine with coolant 98c, trans 96c and oil 100c. Going up a hill engine looses power, Low Oil pressure warning. I pull over immediately leaving no more than 50 feet of oil on the road. So much oil i assumed the oil filter had come off, or similar.
This was on JUNE 30 2021 (7pm). THE VERY LAST DAY OF MY "Gold Plan" Extended Powertrain Warranty (od was 85,000KM)

I get it towed to a ok tire who are closed. I get it towed to a dealer in Kelowna BC. She immediately tells me Sorry to Say your Warranty has ended. I explained that this happened on June 30 and she can call BCAA for tow records if it comes to that. She then said that it wasn't received to her yard until after it had expired. She quickly walked that back but it still put me on edge like this claim was going to be a fight.

I still don't have an official diagnostic report as they have taken pictures and sent off to Fiat/Chrysler and are waiting for the go ahead. She did say the following:
1. oil was still in engine. Leak appeared to be higher by the starter. Could be a thrown rod. Engine is seized.
2. tech took oil pan off, and lots of metal. Could be a "thrust bearing" but she doesn't know because she doesn't have the report. We need to wait for F/C to approve then she will send details to me.

QUESTION TIME:
This seems like a HUGE stroke of luck that I still had 4 hours on warranty when the failure happened. Warranty purchase date 6/30/2016. Plan code 415 (i assume they call this Gold?) and it is for 60 months or 5 years.
1. Last day is the 30th. This is at midnight right? If it was July 1st I would be out, but this was June 30. Should I expect any push back?
2. I flew back today before an official report. Can I expect a rental car? Dealership did not have courtesy cars...
3. Should i ask they put on a flatbed to Calgary, or cover my flight or is that outside the realm and more of an insurance thing?

Thanks for reading. Any Comments are welcomed.
Cheers
-Marshall
Calgary Alberta
View attachment 89916
View attachment 89917
Your engine coolant temperature and oil temperature look fine, your transmission temperature was a little high in my opinion compared to the coolant and oil temperatures and the biggest concern is your showing an oil pressure of 45 PSI at 2100 RPM, you took a photo showing this information so the engine was not sized up at the time and your speed shows you traveling at just over 65 km per hour.

My question is how did you get a photo of this information when you pulled over in 50 feet or so, taking a photo of the dash read out is the last thing that would be on my mind in 50 feet or so with an engine problem.

I don't see a low oil pressure warning showing on the dash photo either, did you scroll away from that message to take the photo?

According to the oil pressure readout you have 45 PSI of oil pressure, that would be on the high side with the engine at operating temperature so the low oil pressure warning message is strange when both the oil pressure gauge on the dash shows good oil pressure and the numeric readout is showing 45 PSI oil pressure.

What oil and filter are you using?

What mileages do you change the oil and filter?

Who changes the oil and filter?

You said you were not towing when this occurred so I take it you do tow so what do you tow and how much weight?

Did the engine seize on the side of the road or did it seize at the dealer?

Why did you have it towed to an OK Tire store instead of the dealer to start with?

From the sounds of your description you had the truck towed twice, the first time to the OK Tire store then a second tow a day or two later to the dealer which is why you were first told your warranty had expired. If you show two separate tow bills you may have your claim denied but because it is within a day or two of the end of the warranty when the dealer received the truck they might cover you out of good will.

So did you have the truck first towed to the OK Tire store and then the next day or two have it towed to the Ram dealer and what date did the Ram dealer receive the truck on? July 1, July 2?

One more question do you have a photo showing the truck on the side of the road with the oil line running right up to where the truck is parked on the side of the road?

#5 ·
Your engine coolant temperature and oil temperature look fine, your transmission temperature was a little high in my opinion compared to the coolant and oil temperatures and the biggest concern is your showing an oil pressure of 45 PSI at 2100 RPM, you took a photo showing this information so the engine was not sized up at the time and your speed shows you traveling at just over 65 km per hour.

My question is how did you get a photo of this information when you pulled over in 50 feet or so, taking a photo of the dash read out is the last thing that would be on my mind in 50 feet or so with an engine problem.

I don't see a low oil pressure warning showing on the dash photo either, did you scroll away from that message to take the photo?

***I took this photo before the failure. I was capturing the Unreal outside temp of 46c

According to the oil pressure readout you have 45 PSI of oil pressure, that would be on the high side with the engine at operating temperature so the low oil pressure warning message is strange when both the oil pressure gauge on the dash shows good oil pressure and the numeric readout is showing 45 PSI oil pressure.

What oil and filter are you using?

***unsure. Mr Lube

What mileages do you change the oil and filter?

*****I change every 10,000 KM. I had the dealer do the first 5, and mr lube to the remaining

Who changes the oil and filter?

***Mr Lube

You said you were not towing when this occurred so I take it you do tow so what do you tow so how much weight?

***i have a Blackrock 19b Its about 6000lbs loaded

Did the engine seize on the side of the road or did it seize at the dealer?

***I pulled over and shut the engine off. The dealer said they tried to crank it and it wouldnt.

Why did you have it towed to an OK Tire store instead of the dealer to start with?

***I honestly thought the oil filter unscrewed or something similar.

#7 ·
you ventilated a block and/or pan.

since the truck is at a dealership... give them a chance to do the right thing. its less expensive/risky to do that.

I'd also call FCA directly to let them know what happened. Send them the pictures and give them the story. they will create a case for you and the dealership will then be aware that FCA knows the back story.

#9 ·
OK, I see a couple of problem areas already, one you need to get your receipts from Mr Lube and find out what oil, the brand of oil, the weight and if they were using diesel oil or not. This may fall back on Mr. Lube if they used the incorrect oil.

The second is the high oil pressure in the photo shows 45 PSI which is high for only running 65 km and 2100 RPM, so something was going on before you got the low oil pressure message on the dash.

#12 ·
OK, I see a couple of problem areas already, one you need to get your receipts from Mr Lube and find out what oil, the brand of oil, the weight and if they were using diesel oil or not. This may fall back on Mr. Lube if they used the incorrect oil.

***receipt says Liqui Moly Synthoil 5w40 priemium. Oil filter (Gold) Filter

The second is the high oil pressure in the photo shows 45 PSI which is high for only running 65 km and 2100 RPM, so something was going on before you got the low oil pressure message on the dash.

*** this was going up a hill. Ascending to the top of west Kelowna

#16 ·
Marshall_Law sorry this happened to you the timing of course isn't ideal but you were smart to gather evidence on the date of the incident something is always better than nothing hopefully FCA won't question it too closely as they can clearly see the warranty date. Sending good vibes for a positive outcome.

Good luck!

Reactions: MR. TED
#22 ·
***UPDATE
They said that purchase date was june 30. that means that Warranty ran out at midnight on the 29th. Missed it by a few hours. They said I missed it by more, because they count based on when it was delivered to shop and paperwork started. I told them that was nonsenses.

Anyways they said they would invoke "Good Will" which wont cover fluids, gaskets, or Diag Costs. They still haven't given me anything as far as a diagnostic.

Does anyone have any advice on NEGOTIATING GOODWILL? Will they come to me with a percentage they are willing to pay? Not sure how that works.

PS. I'll try to reply better by doing so outside the quotes. Thanks for the tip.
-Marshall

#24 ·
***UPDATE
They said that purchase date was june 30. that means that Warranty ran out at midnight on the 29th. Missed it by a few hours. They said I missed it by more, because they count based on when it was delivered to shop and paperwork started. I told them that was nonsenses.

Anyways they said they would invoke "Good Will" which wont cover fluids, gaskets, or Diag Costs. They still haven't given me anything as far as a diagnostic.

Does anyone have any advice on NEGOTIATING GOODWILL? Will they come to me with a percentage they are willing to pay? Not sure how that works.

PS. I'll try to reply better by doing so outside the quotes. Thanks for the tip.
-Marshall
...wont cover fluids, gaskets, or Diag Costs ..I know you only missed it by a few hrs but If they cover everything else i would still be happy..

#27 ·
And not so great when you're out money because of 1 day late out of 1,825 days. Before I got to page 2, I feared that was the case. Had a similar denial with Volvo - warranty started on the 17th, I took it in for repairs the 17th 5 years later, but the warranty had ended at midnight. Their counts include the first day of ownership.

#28 ·
Marshall_Law,

I would not fight them at all in your case take what they offer because as another poster stated the oil you were using is not rated for your ecodiesel so that could void any relief you are getting from goodwill from Stallantis. The fact is you are out of warranty and Stallantis is not responsible for a single dime towards repairs.

Look at it this way what if Stallantis told people that you only have 6 days left on your warranty but we don't feel like we should have to cover the costs of the repair, you would be pissed and demanding they honor their warranty wouldn't you?

Now the shoe is on the other foot and your are out of warranty but you still want Stallantis to cover the cost of your repairs. In other words you want your cake and you want to eat it to.

#30 ·
Marshall_Law,

I would not fight them at all in your case take what they offer because as another poster stated the oil you were using is not rated for your ecodiesel so that could void any relief you are getting from goodwill from Stallantis. The fact is you are out of warranty and Stallantis is not responsible for a single dime towards repairs.

Look at it this way what if Stallantis told people that you only have 6 days left on your warranty but we don't feel like we should have to cover the costs of the repair, you would be pissed and demanding they honor their warranty wouldn't you?

Now the shoe is on the other foot and your are out of warranty but you still want Stallantis to cover the cost of your repairs. In other words you want your cake and you want to eat it to.
It's tight, but it's right...

#29 ·
Keep in mind that the Canadian warranty on these trucks are nowhere near what was provided to the US customers. The OP recognizes that anything FCA does to help is "Goodwill" but let's face it, these trucks have a track record of failure and FCA knows it.
Missing full coverage by a day or even several days would suck.
I hope FCA steps up.
Good luck.

#31 ·
The oil used is great oil for older diesels without modern emissions. It does not meet any modern diesel oil spec. Exampled the VW 505.00 oil is for diesel engines prior to 2003. BMW Longlife-98 is 1998 year model oil. Oil not designed for modern fuel, or modern emissions. Great oil for trucks that have been deleted/tuned. But not proper oil for your truck.

DESCRIPTION

Low-friction, fully synthetic motor oil for all-season use in gasoline and diesel engines without particulate filters (GPF/DPF). Observe manufacturers instructions.

APPROVALS:
  • ACEA A3
  • ACEA B4
  • API SN
  • API CF
LIQUI MOLY RECOMMENDS THIS PRODUCT FOR VEHICLES THAT NEEDS TO COMPLY THE FOLLOWING SPECIFICATIONS:
  • BMW Longlife-98
  • MB 229.3
  • Opel GM-LL-A-025
  • Opel GM-LL-B-025
  • Porsche A40
  • Renault RN 0700
  • Renault RN 0710
  • VW 502 00
  • VW 505 00

#32 ·
********UPDATE

I kinda got a little heated with the service manager, and immediately backed off realizing he has me by the nuts. It basically went like this

Your over warranty. 30th is start of 6th year and we didn't receive it till days later.
We are doing "Good will"...mumble somthing about he already has 7 or 17 hours into it...
I'm on the hook for fluids gaskets and diag fee. Next he has to negotiate with the regional manager the terms of the deal.
he dosent even think he can get an engine.

I backed off my heat and said...ok just send me a report when you get one. That was last thursday. This monday I get the following Voicemail (I still haven't received a diagnostic report or anything other than update texts and voice messages).

For those interested please listen and let me know your thoughts.

Voicemail update from the dealership.

-Marshall

#33 ·
********UPDATE

I kinda got a little heated with the service manager, and immediately backed off realizing he has me by the nuts. It basically went like this

Your over warranty. 30th is start of 6th year and we didn't receive it till days later.
We are doing "Good will"...mumble somthing about he already has 7 or 17 hours into it...
I'm on the hook for fluids gaskets and diag fee. Next he has to negotiate with the regional manager the terms of the deal.
he dosent even think he can get an engine.

I backed off my heat and said...ok just send me a report when you get one. That was last thursday. This monday I get the following Voicemail (I still haven't received a diagnostic report or anything other than update texts and voice messages).

For those interested please listen and let me know your thoughts.

Voicemail update from the dealership.

-Marshall
I'll bet you feel a lot better! :p

#36 ·
FINAL UPDATE.
New long block crate engine installed. Front and Rear diffs serviced. FINAL BILL TO ME WAS $870 Cad
It was 26day battle. here are the highlights.

*First impression was bad as Dealership kept saying it didn't matter when the failure happened. as far as warranty was concerned it started from when it was towed to their yard an paperwork started.
*I told her all my service records were in glove compartment. She told me she send off all documentation to FCA to review. When i got home I found the folder with ALL of my service receipts. Was she planning on telling me that she didnt have reciept for last oil change???? This is when I went into high gear and Sent off everything and demanded she confirm all documents were in order.
*service manager said they approved "Good Will" but I had to wait to hear what the terms of the deal were.
*They ordered a new engine without my approval. She said I would only have to pay for fluids and Gaskets.
*To days before it was finished I got a VERY FISHY phone call from FCA head office. He was probing me asking if the dealer had told me if it was under warranty? alarm bells went off and I told him i would have to check my emails and get back to him.
*Dealer said the following costs would be on my side.
-$1100 for the diagnosis and fluids
-$260 for front diff (I approved as it was due)
-310 for rear diff (I approved as it was due)

Final Bill to me was $870. I'm confused as to why they goodwill'ed the differential service, but I am feeling very #Blessed

Also there was no Non Disclosure or any contact with FCA other than that creepy phone call.

Question: Is this engine under any kind of warranty? Recipt says "MES Good Will Warranty OK'ed one time only"

Thanks for reading and I pray for all others that were in my similar situation.

Over and Out
-Marshall
Calgary Canada

#42 ·
-$260 for front diff (I approved as it was due)
-310 for rear diff (I approved as it was due)

Front and rear diff takes a total of 1 hour labor time.

Each one as a single simple drain plug with a single simple fill plug.

Reactions: malquid
#37 ·
FINAL FINAL UPDATE.... LOL

OK so FCA called me and said that I could possibly get my money back ($870) if I sent in the receipt. Well they send me the money and I though I would post the letter here. I am impressed they took care of me. I know it was only 14 hours after warranty, but they didn't have to do anything.

#41 ·
I'm convinced even FCA Canada is friendlier than the US unit.

#44 ·
Maybe Canadians are friendlier than Americans!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.