RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just recently got my new tune and pipe installed and deleted the scr/dpf. I have an Ultra Gauge which I can use to read EGT's off what is labeled "Cat Bank 1" or something like that. Does anyone know what and where that particular sensor is? I am going to try and re-route the line do I can get a temp reading.

And yes, it's way better. A bit of a task, but a nice thing to have knocked out.

-Cherry

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, you would think, but it's not. The only sensor I can get a reading from is indicated as "Cat Bank 1" on an ultra gauge. I don't know which one that is. If they are indicating the SCR, or DPF. That particular sensor post turbo would read the temp when the burn was in full force. Idealy i'd like to have the sensor working again. But after temp checking the manifold, turbo, down pipe, etc... the Temps at shutdown are crazy low compared to what they were before. 150-185f. lower.

If anyone has access to a diagram of the SCR/DPF system with the sensors associated that would be awesome! Thanks for the help so far!

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
The catalyst temp sensor is the one between your doc and dpf. Depending on how you did your delete that sensor may not even be there anymore. It might be best to contact ultra gauge for more info both of my banks idash read the 1/1 sensor in the exhaust manifold. Text Font Line

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The catalyst temp sensor is the one between your doc and dpf. Depending on how you did your delete that sensor may not even be there anymore. It might be best to contact ultra gauge for more info both of my banks idash read the 1/1 sensor in the exhaust manifold. View attachment 69866
Thanks, I still have it, and the plug. Thinking of running new wires, and putting the sensor into the downpipe. I will keep everyone posted if I can get it done at all.

·
Registered
367 Posts
When it comes to EGTs the closer to exhaust valves the better more accurate the more real EGTs you get.

You can add post gauges like thise:

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Gauge Mode of transport

Then you get big boy gauges with real temps boost psi etc....

The only problem is we have air bags I think....

·
Registered
292 Posts
My CTS would read 4 EGT probes. 1 being at exhaust manifold 2 being at DOC 3 at DPF and 4 at SCR. When I deleted my EGT 1 on manifold was all that was left work. (Other 3 get removed with emissions) I would think your scan gauge would only be reading the one at the manifold which would be the best spot. Could probably use one of the removed sensors and wire it up to an pyrometer and put it in the down pipe of you wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My CTS would read 4 EGT probes. 1 being at exhaust manifold 2 being at DOC 3 at DPF and 4 at SCR. When I deleted my EGT 1 on manifold was all that was left work. (Other 3 get removed with emissions) I would think your scan gauge would only be reading the one at the manifold which would be the best spot. Could probably use one of the removed sensors and wire it up to an pyrometer and put it in the down pipe of you wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks all,

I have a Ultra Gauge sadly, Might have to buy me a CTS, or add a dedicated gauge. I have discovered that yes only 1 sensor is left on the manifold. I am not too worried about the temps in general, but just like to monitor them. I always warm up the truck in the morning, and always turn off when the truck isn't super soaked in heat. I disconnected the bus on the frame rail for the DPF system, so the sensor I could have tapped into is now gone.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
From the info I got when I purchased my Edge monitor , the location of the sensors on the truck were :
EGT 1 = pre turbo
EGT 2 = Turbo out ( DOC Inlet )
EGT 3 = D P F inlet
EGT 4 = SCR inlet
EcoCherry , if you deleted the DPF and SCR , why would you want many readings ,
I don't think getting a CTS will give you more readings if the sensor does not exist Under the truck anymore ,
maybe I don't understand your questions correctly , my English is limited.
as for not wanting to turn off the truck when " super soaked in heat " , I am sure I read this on the GDE site
Under the tune section : :
=Improved cooling fan control
-Fan will now run for some time after shut-down to cool down the engine and exhaust system.
-Activates if either the regen is still active when the engine is shut off, or if the
exhaust temps are above a prescribed limit .
-Earlier activation based on coolant temp while driving to keep engine and oil cooler .

A phone call , or email to GDE could maybe answer your questions , and find out if that only sensor you are left with is enough
to give the tune all the data it needs to do its magic.
please keep us posted .:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.