RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hmm, I really liked the idea of multiple injections, didn't know it created so much soot. Sounds like it probably makes for less NOx too. Does the GDE make it run rougher? I love the smoothness of teh engine as I hold the wheel. Even my wife's little mini cooper shakes more at the wheel than the EcoD.
NOx and soot production of inversely related. That was the first reason for the EGR being added to engines. It reduces the peak cylinder temperatures to reduce NOx production and then the SCR cleans up 70-90% of the remaining NOx that are generated. Regens actually generate lots of NOx from my understanding which leads me to believe that is where VW and FCA (and others) have gotten into trouble. It is just not easy to reduce all that NOx when you are burning raw fuel and particles and the engine running. Anyway, I've never seen an official report from anyone (haven't looked too hard, admittedly) as to exactly which operational mode and under what conditions and just how much over the limit these violations were to warrant all the lawsuits and stuff.

Oh, by the way, the 2016 and onward 3.6L Pentastar gas engines have ERG as well. Well, at least the 2016+ Durangos have it. I assume the RAMs as well. I'm suspicious the Hemi will be getting redesigned in the future or replaced with a V6 turbo similar to Ford's ecoboost.

·
Administrator
8,658 Posts
Well gents, I've encountered my first Check-Engine light on my new-to-me 2015 Ram EcoDiesel. The truck has almost 156k miles on it, and I knew it was about time for this issue to arise. I forgot exactly what the code said, but essentially "DPF Regen frequency too high" was the message.

Having just recently driven a 6cyl ram of almost the same year and setup, I was amazed how much slower and more sluggish my EcoD felt. Around town, I was getting around 18-19mpg, and felt I could do better. I bought it for long highway use, but am finding that I'm using it around town more often than not. I know how bad it is for the DPF, so this probably won't be the first or last time I do this.

I believe the going rate for a new DPF is upwards of $2-3k, so I am going to attempt to clean it out myself. I've seen numerous videos of guys doing it themselves, and claiming good success. Here is a video I will be emulating:

There are a few other videos by the same YouTuber, so it seems this method works. Now I know our DPFs are burried in a metal casing that's integrated with a lot of piping, so I will be cutting it out. Once I cut it out, I plan to blast it with a pressure washer, then 150psi air, then again with pressure washer, then again air until I can't get any more gunk out. I don't currently have a welder, but know how to use them. If I can't get my hands on one, I will just pay a muffler shop to weld the pipes back on. Should cost less than $80.

Pics and maybe a video to follow.
Did you ever get that DPF thing cleaned?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I have not yet got around to it. I had the tranny on my wife's mini start acting up. Couldn't risk having two cars out of commission. Also, I'm not sure how reliable my welding contact is here, so I may wait till I have a chance to head up to my dad's place, where I will have access to some nice equipment.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Well, I never did get around to cleaning out that DPF. My reluctor wheel flew apart, leaving the truck undriveable for 6mo while I got around to fixing it. During that process, I did have a chance to remove the DPF, and boy, what a pain in the ass that was!!. Now that we're getting our FCA emissions settlement warranties, I think I'll leave it on there. My truck has almost 160k mi on it. I figure that DPF will clog up before the warranty runs out. Glad I didn't do it, as they may have forced me to buy a new one seeing that it's been tampered with.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts