RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here and first post. I have a 2019 Ecodiesel, bought new and now with about 50K miles. Bone stock. Got a check engine light and used my trusty Harbor Freight OBD2 code reader to pull a P2002 code pointing toward the DPF filter. Did a lot of research and bought an OBD Link MX and AlfaOBD. Did a manual regen with help from my new toys which started at around 49% soot and went down to around 9%. Those numbers seem to be in line with what I've seen as "normal". Since that time, however, the light has repeatedly come back on at soot levels around 25-50%. I've seen the truck do automatic regens while driving and those seem to happen around 70-80+%. No check engine light appears at those higher soot levels. It seems to me that a soot level of 25% should not trigger a fault. I think I likely have a sensor issue, but have no idea where to look or even begin to look. Love to get some ideas and suggestions. I've been clearing the faults and kind of been ignoring them. What soot level is normal to trigger a P2002 fault? Attached are a couple of the most recent fault logs from AlfaOBD. If anyone can make heads or tails of these, please chime in! Thanks so much!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
The active regen should start around 69% dpf capacity with the stock tune.

Your CEL could be triggered by an exhaust leak. Check the 3-bolt flange between the DPF and SCR for broken studs and a gap. Best accessed by looking under the truck near the rear passenger door.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The active regen should start around 69% dpf capacity with the stock tune.

Your CEL could be triggered by an exhaust leak. Check the 3-bolt flange between the DPF and SCR for broken studs and a gap. Best accessed by looking under the truck near the rear passenger door.
Thanks so much for the help. Finally felt well enough to climb under the truck today (finishing up with COVID). Flange is tight and there's no broken studs. Any other ideas on what's triggering the CEL?

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,845 Posts
Given the P2002 code is "Diesel Particulate Filter Efficiency Below Threshold" it is probably an issue with the DPF allowing more particulate through than is acceptable or there's a problem with the sensor. The emissions should still be covered under warranty, I believe the federal mandate is 8yrs/80K miles

·
Registered
77 Posts
🤔 I have never had a regen message, 72000km currently. When I tow which is often I can see 600C to 800C (1100 to 1400F) exhaust temperatures, is this why I don’t get the message people see? Thanks.

·
Administrator
10,133 Posts
🤔 I have never had a regen message, 72000km currently. When I tow which is often I can see 600C to 800C (1100 to 1400F) exhaust temperatures, is this why I don’t get the message people see? Thanks.
This means regens are happening in the background as they should. With a stock tune you will only see the message if regens did not complete.

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,845 Posts
🤔 I have never had a regen message, 72000km currently. When I tow which is often I can see 600C to 800C (1100 to 1400F) exhaust temperatures, is this why I don’t get the message people see?
With the stock tune the truck has to have multiple failed completions of the regen cycle to get the warning on the dash. Unless there's a problem with the system or the vehicle is short driven a lot you won't see the message.
Do you see those exhaust temps leaving the DPF? During an active regen cycle the EGT1B3 will get to about 1000°F

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With the stock tune the truck has to have multiple failed completions of the regen cycle to get the warning on the dash. Unless there's a problem with the system or the vehicle is short driven a lot you won't see the message.
Do you see those exhaust temps leaving the DPF? During an active regen cycle the EGT1B3 will get to about 1000°F
Thanks for getting back. I never received notification of replies. I watch the graph readouts on AlfaOBD and temperatures get to 600 - 630C during automatic regen. Regen seems to start around 68% soot, or so. Once completed the DPF level goes back to around 9%. Local dealer is beyond horrible so if it's a sensor, I'd rather just replace it myself. Dealer wants $180 just to diagnose the issue, then they'll decide if it's covered under warranty, which they'll likely say is not. Is there any way to determine from the attached logs what might be the issue? I clear the fault and it goes away for sometimes 3 weeks, then comes back. Last time the CEL appeared at 27% soot.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
It might be as simple as having your ECM software updated.

From what I just read online, it also mentioned an air leak as a possible cause, although it didn't specify where. It also said to inspect all wiring to the exhaust sensors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts