RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I have a 2014 Ram 1500 ecodiesel. Loved the truck until the engine completely blew with 36,500 KM on it. I was driving about 120km/hr down the highway when a loud knocking started. The engine completely died and a low pressure oil light came on before I could stop. I looked back and there was about 150 meter oil streak on the highway. Chrysler has not been totally forthcoming with me as to the cause of the failure. They have only told me that there was a baseball size hole through the engine block where a rod had punched through. No idea on timeline for getting it fixed either.

I am no mechanic or engineer but it seems like there are a fair amount of people talking about engine failures that have occurred on all model years, which makes me think the problem has not been rectified. I am somewhat fortunate I guess as this is covered by warranty, but I'm guessing this will be a costly fix to those when/if the engine fails outside of warranty. If Chrysler does know the exact reason for the failure they should be issuing a recall and fixing these vehicles, which they have not done.

I am filing a claim with Transport Canada in regards to a defective vehicle.

If anyone else has experience and engine failure in Canada please let me know the year and kilometres of your vehicle as Transport Canada needs to see some kind of trend before they will look into the issue.

Thanks

·
Registered
183 Posts
i have a 2014 big horn with 150,000 KM. my father in law has a laramie with 140,000 km and my brother in law has a SLT with about 80,000km I also have a buddy at work with 60,000 or so. not entirely sure there are actually major issues with this engine. if you come to a forum these days. you will find everyone talking about problems. thats where people go to complain. thats why you came over here right?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
People come here to report, vent and complain. Still have to get a sense of how many Ram ED sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine blew at 27,011 km. It has already been reported on this site, so nothing new and "not another one", old news, but since you asked...
It is a '15 Longhorn 4x4. Went into the dealer 24MAR16 and came out 13MAY16 with a new long block and turbo, although I had to fight to get the new turbo.

·
Registered
183 Posts
i will say it seems like if you make it past 70,000km you're in the clear. I don't hear too many trucks blowing up past 120,000km.

·
Registered
183 Posts
mind you i highly recommend you block the EGR as soon as you drive off the lot. you can tune and block the egr electronically. the dealer has a very tough time finding the tune. I tuned at 86,000 km. much cleaner oil and intake seems to be much cleaner. ( I also have a catch can that catches 2oz of oil every 5,000 km or so )

·
Registered
183 Posts
Any idea what a good EGR blocker and tune cost?
alot of canadians are going with Celtic tune in Mississauga. offers exactly what you need for much cheaper then GDE or PPEI. plus its a really clean tune zero smoke and great power (also better fuel eco) message me ill get you in contact with the rep's here in canada.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hey,

I have a 2014 Ram 1500 ecodiesel. Loved the truck until the engine completely blew with 36,500 KM on it. I was driving about 120km/hr down the highway when a loud knocking started. The engine completely died and a low pressure oil light came on before I could stop. I looked back and there was about 150 meter oil streak on the highway. Chrysler has not been totally forthcoming with me as to the cause of the failure. They have only told me that there was a baseball size hole through the engine block where a rod had punched through. No idea on timeline for getting it fixed either.

I am no mechanic or engineer but it seems like there are a fair amount of people talking about engine failures that have occurred on all model years, which makes me think the problem has not been rectified. I am somewhat fortunate I guess as this is covered by warranty, but I'm guessing this will be a costly fix to those when/if the engine fails outside of warranty. If Chrysler does know the exact reason for the failure they should be issuing a recall and fixing these vehicles, which they have not done.

I am filing a claim with Transport Canada in regards to a defective vehicle.

If anyone else has experience and engine failure in Canada please let me know the year and kilometres of your vehicle as Transport Canada needs to see some kind of trend before they will look into the issue.

Thanks
I have a 2014 - May/June build. I am at 86K - no real issues.

·
Registered
526 Posts
alot of canadians are going with Celtic tune in Mississauga. offers exactly what you need for much cheaper then GDE or PPEI. plus its a really clean tune zero smoke and great power (also better fuel eco) message me ill get you in contact with the rep's here in canada.
FYI, I've had both the Celtic tune and the GDE. I prefer the GDE, I don't think they offer exactly the same thing...but you are definitely correct on the price. The Celtic is much more affordable!

Check this out if you're interested: http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-tuning/11660-gde-vs-celtic.html

·
Registered
183 Posts
john at raw performance (647) 221-2277 tell him eddy sent ya. no im not on commission lol hes just an awesome guy. When i installed my catch can i needed additional tuning on the PCV he did it for nothing. Ive never had GDE but personally I dont know why you would go out and spend that sort of money if you can stay here and support local tuners. also if you are under warranty do you really want to wait to send your ECU back down south? or fork out another grand for an extra computer? John tunes just about everything except for lawn mowers cant speak enough about the guy.

·
Registered
183 Posts
also an update im around 160K now no issues. My brother in law is around the same. My father in law traded his in with 150,000 or so and hes back upto 30,000 on a 17' he just got in north bay not too long ago. he did notice better fuel eco on the newer model (he had a 14'). these are good trucks im the only guy tuned as well.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
How much for the tune?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Ive never had GDE but personally I dont know why you would go out and spend that sort of money if you can stay here and support local tuners. also if you are under warranty do you really want to wait to send your ECU back down south? or fork out another grand for an extra computer?.
I've had both tunes. Celtic for around 40xxxkms, and the GDE for around 20xxxkms, which I'm currently running. For my truck ('15 Outdoorsman), the GDE is worth the money hands down. I spent $550 on the Celtic. Good tune, but I was having excessive regen intervals (200-300kms). John was easy to deal with, but the Celtic is from a U.K. Tuner. On the other hand, the GDE runs much cleaner (1000kms) regen intervals, plus having the high idle and turbo brake options are solid. $1100 CAD for the tune with the 2 extra features, and I used 10L LESS diesel coming back from Novi, MI to Barrie, then driving down. Hand calculated figures. Same speed, same route travelled.

I'd deal with the crew at GDE, not worried about a 2nd computer or anything. Almost 90xxxkms now...

·
Registered
18 Posts
New here to board and getting new eco. I would like to know more about egr block and tune. Can you send me info on place.buying truck in missisauga. Thanks

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've had both tunes. Celtic for around 40xxxkms, and the GDE for around 20xxxkms, which I'm currently running. For my truck ('15 Outdoorsman), the GDE is worth the money hands down. I spent $550 on the Celtic. Good tune, but I was having excessive regen intervals (200-300kms). John was easy to deal with, but the Celtic is from a U.K. Tuner. On the other hand, the GDE runs much cleaner (1000kms) regen intervals, plus having the high idle and turbo brake options are solid. $1100 CAD for the tune with the 2 extra features, and I used 10L LESS diesel coming back from Novi, MI to Barrie, then driving down. Hand calculated figures. Same speed, same route travelled.

I'd deal with the crew at GDE, not worried about a 2nd computer or anything. Almost 90xxxkms now...
I had both Celtic for over 40,000 kms and ever since, GDE. No question John is a great guy and does everything he can to support you, the downside is the tune comes from the UK. I had repeated 3-5% fuel dilution on my oil testing and wanted Celtic to work with me on this. The most they would do is put my truck back to stock. Not John's fault. The best I could come up with, from my reading and from the very detailed info from GDE, was that regens caused by the tune drove the dilution up. What scared me the most was that fuel burns off, yet every oil test I did I had elevated fuel in my oil, which I believe meant that regens were happening very frequently. I will never know the reason why for certain, but I couldn't allow the dilution to continue, especially in light of the fact my truck is an early 2014 and I was worried about it crapping the bed. I went to GDE which was about 1.5 hours from where I live and they installed the Hot Tune. I can only say that the truck seemed to run smoother, fuel economy may have increased slightly, but every oil test after that has been perfect. With the EGR shut off, and no more dilution, I'm a happy camper. Many other Canadians have had good luck with Celtic, and it is cheaper than GDE.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts