RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
2016 blew at 160,700

I had a 2016 eco-diesel, which I loved until it blew up. I do 95% highway driving and I had passed another car on a 2 lane highway when the engine quit. No smoke, no oil on the road. On board computer showed "put in P and start"! coasted to side of road, no check engine, no low oil pressure, no notifications at all. Started it and no noises or notifications, drove it home, then it showed "oil pressure low". Took it to dealer, told them everything, they put it on the work order and next morning they took it for a test drive and called me to say that a rod went through the block on the test drive. Neither Chrysler nor the dealer want to take any responsibility. To have a new long block installed $15,844. +. Chrysler "Don't" care center asked for authorization to do "External channel diagnosis" which I did but I can't get a copy of the report. Chrysler says it is because of Privacy Issues! WTF?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 2014 that has 128k km on it. I am pretty sure hat it has blown today. No oil pressure and loud engine knock. Not a happy person right now.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I had a 2016 eco-diesel, which I loved until it blew up. I do 95% highway driving and I had passed another car on a 2 lane highway when the engine quit. No smoke, no oil on the road. On board computer showed "put in P and start"! coasted to side of road, no check engine, no low oil pressure, no notifications at all. Started it and no noises or notifications, drove it home, then it showed "oil pressure low". Took it to dealer, told them everything, they put it on the work order and next morning they took it for a test drive and called me to say that a rod went through the block on the test drive. Neither Chrysler nor the dealer want to take any responsibility. To have a new long block installed $15,844. +. Chrysler "Don't" care center asked for authorization to do "External channel diagnosis" which I did but I can't get a copy of the report. Chrysler says it is because of Privacy Issues! WTF?
I have a 2014 that has 128k km on it. I am pretty sure hat it has blown today. No oil pressure and loud engine knock. Not a happy person right now.
Sorry to hear about the bad luck.. Would you guys share what oil you ran , and how often it was changed ?

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
Ouch...

Many think that once you get higher mileage on the vehicle you are past the danger zone. Unfortunately, you are not alone in losing one with higher KM's on it

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ouch...

Many think that once you get higher mileage on the vehicle you are past the danger zone. Unfortunately, you are not alone in losing one with higher KM's on it
That is exactly why I decided to keep it as I approached the 100k km mark. Always trust your gut I guess. It didn’t even last 4 full years!!! Still waiting to hear from the dealer. It went in this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
481 Posts
You get really screwed over at Canadian dealers for parts cost and labour. Our USA forum members likely don't believe that long block cost but I do. Sorry to hear about the bad luck.

When that engine isn't to full temperature it is contaminating the oil. I think they fail more in Canada for that reason. More reliable motor for warmer climates. 95% highway shouldn't have done that so early. Were you running the winter front?

·
Registered
514 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
ok then.... Guessing it was the wrong stuff. Good to know.
No, not at all. You know what they say about assumptions don’t you?

I have been away camping for 15 days. No cell service up north.

I have had my dealer do the scheduled maintenance on my truck with two oil changes as exceptions. They were done at Mr. Lube using Mobil Delvac 5w40 and a p1014 filter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
My engine just failed at 96,000 km (suspect lower end). Dealer wants to see the service records (I did all services myself using OEM parts and recommended fluids) before saying anything about replacement. I changed the EGR cooler at around 80,000 km; no coolant in the oil.

My truck lived a charmed life. It is hard to believe it failed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
mind you i highly recommend you block the EGR as soon as you drive off the lot. you can tune and block the egr electronically. the dealer has a very tough time finding the tune. I tuned at 86,000 km. much cleaner oil and intake seems to be much cleaner. ( I also have a catch can that catches 2oz of oil every 5,000 km or so )
What kind of tune are you running ? Catch can? What's that?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts