RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Not trying to start anything, cause the haters are gonna hate, and the defenders are going to defend.
However I do recall hearing that they won’t burn up in the cold, well, it doesn’t look like anything except the truck is warm in this picture.
Loved my Ecodiesel until it did the same thing to me, but the things are obviously flawed and FCA needs to step up to the plate for making dangerous vehicles. This has nothing to do with owner maintenance or lack there of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm so sorry about your truck. I am also concerned about this problem as my truck is consuming some coolant.
This clearly is a problem, but it seems to me they are trying to step up. I think they issued the recall to inform everyone on the risk of fire and to keep an eye on their coolant level, even though they didn't have a firm fix for the issue.
Now they have a fix, supposedly, but need time to manufacture the parts and ship them to dealers.
Unfortunately for us this take time and puts those who can still drive our trucks at risk and others without a truck to drive. :(

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Oh my.

Throw out some details on that mess.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just when i thought i was safe because there was snow on the ground. wow it almost looks photo shopped. how long did it take to get to that point. do i have time to get the kids out of the backseat before some gets burned?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh my.

Throw out some details on that mess.
Guy was out bird hunting in Montana, 28k miles, 2018 completely stock, was driving to where they usually meet and said he smelt something hot and then noticed smoke coming from underneath truck and a weird noise, shortly after this happened. Luckily no one including the shot gun was hurt.
Dealer had performed all required maintenance.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From all those marks it looks like that truck slide off the road ? Accident first ?
No, it’s winter, and I’m sure he wasn’t the only person on the route at any given point. As stated above, on the way to the point where people meet up to go hunting. I’m not sure on exact specifics, but I’m sure he tried to get it off the main route. No need for unnecessary specifics, the pile of crap spontaneously combusted, just as mine did while driving down the road.
I only posted this to throw the “it won’t happen in cold weather” theory out the door.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Lucky that no one got hurt.. It almost looks a Photoshop job, wow.. Someone needs to stand up to this BS..

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can vouch that it’s not photoshop, old mans company that he works for has 600 of them. Have had 3 or 4 burn down, a few engine failures and many emissions related issues.
Was lucky enough to get a GDE in his before the EPA crap.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I can vouch that it’s not photoshop, old mans company that he works for has 600 of them. Have had 3 or 4 burn down, a few engine failures and many emissions related issues.

The paint is on fire...and the tailgate.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The paint is on fire...and the tailgate.
What the hell do you think happens to a petroleum based product when it catches fire?
My paint and interior burned in the same exact way. You calling me a liar when I watched my piece of crap burn down too?
Only reason my bed and fuel tank didn’t burn in a manner similar to this is the fire department showed up.
Want pictures? I’ll provide them.
These pickups are a hazard and it’s a matter of time before someone dies due to FCA’s negligence.

·
Registered
375 Posts
What the hell do you think happens to a petroleum based product when it catches fire?
My paint and interior burned in the same exact way. You calling me a liar when I watched my piece of crap burn down too?
Only reason my bed and fuel tank didn’t burn in a manner similar to this is the fire department showed up.
Want pictures? I’ll provide them.
These pickups are a hazard and it’s a matter of time before someone dies due to FCA’s negligence.

Bobcat, it was just a statement of "Damn". I don't think it is fake, just pointing out that anything that can burn, is burning. The paint burning away on the rear door is simply fascinating (and shitty for the owner). I might be a smart ass, but I wasn't calling anyone out. Except FCA.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bobcat, it was just a statement of "Damn". I don't think it is fake, just pointing out that anything that can burn, is burning. The paint burning away on the rear door is simply fascinating (and shitty for the owner). I might be a smart ass, but I wasn't calling anyone out. Except FCA.
Wonderful world of the Internet, take things outta context, and think ya mean something else. My bad, I apologize.
Used to seeing the defenders of this platform that needs serious revision talking down to anyone that posts anything relatively negative. Which I am not really intending, but sort of, cause this one is the first I’ve heard of burning down in the cold weather. Luckily the guy still had cell service, you get in some areas in MT and this could’ve been real bad.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mine took only 90 seconds from the time the truck stopped — I immediately smelled smoke — until the fire was visible and I had to stop trying to get anything else out of the truck.

Total loss and thank God I was alone when it happened.

If you are driving an Ecodiesel, prepare for this to happen at a moment’s notice.
If you are losing coolant, get it in to the dealer now. Document it. Demand a loaner vehicle.

I will not drive or let anybody I know get in another ED unless it is a 2020.

Yes, it is that serious. Life and death serious.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts

OK Bobcat, in this post you say 'was lucky enough to get a GDE tune in his before the EPA crap" and two posts above you said " 28k miles, 2018 completely stock, " Seems like a conflict to me. Perhaps you can clarify the facts for us.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts