RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
For those who have GDE tuned rigs the question begs...If you are notified by FCA that your rig is subject to the EGR cooler recall, will you let the dealer install "the fix?"
I am planning on it, thus the reason I am in the process of securing a back up "dealer" ECM that they can flash away.....while keeping my extended post AEM warranty in place.....my $.02

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm GDE tuned and plan to allow the dealer to install the EGR cooler fix. I figure my cooler will fail sooner or later, so I might as well get the updated part. Fortunately, I have my stock ECU stored in my rear floor storage compartment which I plan to swap in before I take the truck in.
Sounds like a good approach, although I have been wondering if along with the updated EGR Cooler will there may be a software update changing the EGR operation parameters that may affect an existing GDE tune. I have no idea myself, someone with more intimate knowledge of the EGR operation may have some insight, just have been wondering that myself.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Sounds like a good approach, although I have been wondering if along with the updated EGR Cooler will there may be a software update changing the EGR operation parameters that may affect an existing GDE tune. I have no idea myself, someone with more intimate knowledge of the EGR operation may have some insight, just have been wondering that myself.
I was wondering the exact same thing. Will the new design cooler work with old ECM software?

·
Registered
433 Posts
That, ladies and gentlemen is the $64K question! Anyone from GDE able to offer an answer?

·
Registered
351 Posts
That, ladies and gentlemen is the $64K question! Anyone from GDE able to offer an answer?
I suspect that answer will have to wait until there actually is a redesigned cooler. No way to know until you have one to test.

Reactions: Lucky Dog

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with you, what happens happens when the big Auto Insurance Companies get enough of this crap and deem these trucks uninsurable or charge us extravagant rates for owning these fire bombs? None of it is good for resell value, and FCA isn't stepping up like they should. I think FCA is not out of the clear on this by a longshot even with the recall and have a lot of future lawsuits coming their way...

I think FCA is probably just doing these stopgaps for now like the recall to cover their own butts and hoping these trucks with the faulty engineering from 2014 to 2019 drop a lot in resell value for when they are forced to buy them all back.
I have a question what does FCA stand for?

·
Registered
43 Posts
The owner's manual specifically warns about building a campfire in the driver's seat even if it is cold outside! ?

But, seriously, we are planning a 3,000-mile road trip towing a trailer before the FCA fix is released and now we are worried. Our leaky EGR cooler was replaced a couple of years earlier and does not show loss of coolant anymore, but the replacement part was just another one of the old design.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
I have a question what does FCA stand for?
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles ... FCA. It just means the company that makes Ram, Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep vehicles. Now you can add a "P" to that somewhere as Peugeot, who just bought into or out the whole company.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Every time I get notification of new posts or threads here.... I check it out and there's another ED burning down or some other major issue .... I thank God . for that low knock I heard on cold start up this past summer and immediately told my wife we're trading this truck in. We both loved the ED, had around 40,000 on it, no issues other than the dead spot on initial acceleration ..... but i'd been watching threads here for a while on the issues with this truck.. being a mechanic, I wasn't worried for the most part.. but I was getting a bit weary when I heard the knock.. it was still another month or 2 before I traded the truck in for a new Charger Scat Pack and never heard a sound. I got great trade in price along with great discount on the new Charger. I even was able to get the $3100 pay out check which I made the dealer apply for before I took possession of the new car ..... This past weekend, I spoke with one of the salesmen from the dealership, asked about my truck ..... 6 months later and they still have it .. can't sell it because they are waiting for the EGR fix ... and ..... they won't touch a trade in for these trucks again..

·
Registered
62 Posts
I quoted Jauggernaut here....". I'm GDE tuned and plan to allow the dealer to install the EGR cooler fix. I figure my cooler will fail sooner or later, so I might as well get the updated part. Fortunately, I have my stock ECU stored in my rear floor storage compartment which I plan to swap in before I take the truck in. "

Love the truck. Glad i was able to get the ecu swapped prior to all this.

On a side note... i had some coolant leak... took it to dealer.. had the "repair" done. The dealership stated that the 3way valve was leaking in the coolant circuit. They "changed it", and the truck has been fine ever since. I keep a strict eye on the coolant level. So far so good, holding right at the Coolant Tank Seam. I will def take all valuables out untill this issue with "fire" is resolved. I have to take this thing on an 600 mile round trip here in the next couple of weeks. I'm kinda worried. Other than the brake dust on the front hub caps it's been great.

Currently it's got 20776 miles on it, ecu swap done at about 10k if memory serves correctly. I do all my maint, change oil every 5k, 10 just seems way to far out. My engine rebuilds of my past,- tell me clean oil = happy engine. Lets hope it's cheap insurance, as i really like and enjoy driving this truck. Also every oil chainge i run some Hot Shots diesel extreme through just to keep pump and injectors happy. I have a lil toyota( 255kon the odo) and to this day still have a truck that runs and pull hard. It also has not had any injector or pump issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Not trying to start anything, cause the haters are gonna hate, and the defenders are going to defend.
However I do recall hearing that they won’t burn up in the cold, well, it doesn’t look like anything except the truck is warm in this picture.
Loved my Ecodiesel until it did the same thing to me, but the things are obviously flawed and FCA needs to step up to the plate for making dangerous vehicles. This has nothing to do with owner maintenance or lack there of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was just notified from my dealer that a recall involving the engine compartment was coming soon.
Does anyone know what that recall involves?

·
Registered
8 Posts

Not trying to start anything, cause the haters are gonna hate, and the defenders are going to defend.
However I do recall hearing that they won’t burn up in the cold, well, it doesn’t look like anything except the truck is warm in this picture.
Loved my Ecodiesel until it did the same thing to me, but the things are obviously flawed and FCA needs to step up to the plate for making dangerous vehicles. This has nothing to do with owner maintenance or lack there of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was just notified that a recall will be out soon involving the engine compartment. Would anyone know what that recall may involve?

·
Registered
988 Posts
There is a recall on the EGR setup. No parts until April or later. There is also an update to the original AEM.

·
Registered
2020 Ram 4x2 Eco Gen III, Laramie crew, air susp. DSA rear end, barn door tail gate
106 Posts
I will not drive or let anybody I know get in another ED unless it is a 2020.
I did, I did, I DID, got into a 2020 ….. ordered and took delivery of my 2020 on 9 Dec. 2019..... I loved my 2016, she was chromed out, looked good, and I felt like a bug in a rug in that ole truck, and never a major issue... and now, the dealer that I traded it to, he's still sitting on it... maybe FCA may have to buy it from him... it's not my migraine headache...

Ref: my new truck, one day last week, backing out of the driveway, I ate my steering wheel.... all of this idiot proof safety stuff that these genius manufacturers dream up and create, my emergency brake, it engaged out of nowhere.... I coughed, sneezed, hickuped, or something, and the damn thing engaged.... believe me, this new fangled electric emergency brake engaged without notice, it works, no more manual foot pedal to punch, it has a mind of it's own... but to be positive once again, I really like the performance of this Gen III eco.... it's awesome...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm so sorry about your truck. I am also concerned about this problem as my truck is consuming some coolant.
This clearly is a problem, but it seems to me they are trying to step up. I think they issued the recall to inform everyone on the risk of fire and to keep an eye on their coolant level, even though they didn't have a firm fix for the issue.
Now they have a fix, supposedly, but need time to manufacture the parts and ship them to dealers.
Unfortunately for us this take time and puts those who can still drive our trucks at risk and others without a truck to drive. :(
I have a 2160 EcoDiesel and have noticed minute steady loss of coolant over the past year or so. I reported it before I knew of the potential flaw. The dealer couldn't find anything. Interestingly, following the initial recall notification I saw a slightly accelerated loss, and decided to bring it in. The service department said the found a very slow weeping occurring with "3-way valve," which they replaced. Now I'm back to a much slower consumption... very suspicious.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I suspect that answer will have to wait until there actually is a redesigned cooler. No way to know until you have one to test.
The question I have is that on the Gen 3 engine, they've redesigned the EGR system. As an aerospace systems engineer, I know that the process to get to a redesign doesn't happen over night. The redesigned EGR on the Gen 3 EcoDiesel incorporates a two stage EGR system (low pressure and high pressure). So the timing of the production of the Gen 3 Engine means that FCA had to have known about the EGR cooler problem much earlier than they are admitting to. I have had nothing but problems with my 2016, starting with the Turbo failing at 6,000 miles with no engine codes generated. My fuel economy was great before the turbo failed now I'm lucky if I get above 19 mpg all around or 24 on long leisure trips. Before the turbo failure I was getting 22-23 all around and 28 on long trips. And I'm losing coolant very slowly.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts