RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2160 EcoDiesel and have noticed minute steady loss of coolant over the past year or so. I reported it before I knew of the potential flaw. The dealer couldn't find anything. Interestingly, following the initial recall notification I saw a slightly accelerated loss, and decided to bring it in. The service department said the found a very slow weeping occurring with "3-way valve," which they replaced. Now I'm back to a much slower consumption... very suspicious.
I bought my ED in Sept 2019 and just
seen these post, I went out and checked my coolant tank and it’s down quite bit. I’ve only put about 3000 miles on it since purchased.

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
Forgot to mention it has 36,000 and is a 2016. Is it about to burn?
Only your intake manifold knows.

That is where a stuck EGR system puts hot exhaust and burns holes in the manifold. One symptom of an EGR leak is associated with that loss. Only thing is that's not the only place coolant could go. Might be a turbo leak that puts coolant into the engine combustion. That is no bargain either. Then it could be leaking through many of the hoses and connections that have coolant flow.

Find the leak and you will learn.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Forgot to mention it has 36,000 and is a 2016. Is it about to burn?
Either way... take it to the dealership and have it checked out. Get the paper trail going so that you have something to work with when you have another issue... it will help with warranty coverage later if need be.

·
Registered
936 Posts
For those who have GDE tuned rigs the question begs...If you are notified by FCA that your rig is subject to the EGR cooler recall, will you let the dealer install "the fix?"
Hail no.

The EGR would be gone, on my dime, before that would happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Only your intake manifold knows.

That is where a stuck EGR system puts hot exhaust and burns holes in the manifold. One symptom of an EGR leak is associated with that loss. Only thing is that's not the only place coolant could go. Might be a turbo leak that puts coolant into the engine combustion. That is no bargain either. Then it could be leaking through many of the hoses and connections that have coolant flow.

Find the leak and you will learn.
It’s going to the dealership tomorrow!
I’ll let you all know what the outcome is.

·
Vendor
1,150 Posts
That, ladies and gentlemen is the $64K question! Anyone from GDE able to offer an answer?
There is a lot of mis-information regarding the cause of the engine fires and the redesigned egr cooler. The new cooler is the same part that is now used on the 2020 engine. Externally it is dimensionally the same, but on the inside the wall thickness and internal plating are beefed up slightly. Of course, this is a placebo to placate the masses and will not solve the fire issue. We have found two issues in the latest FCA calibration that lead to excessive manifold temps. These are both being solved with the new tune we are in the process of certifying with CARB and EPA. We hope to have a real solution out in the field in the April time frame. All of this nightmare could have been avoided with good engineering.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is a lot of mis-information regarding the cause of the engine fires and the redesigned egr cooler. The new cooler is the same part that is now used on the 2020 engine. Externally it is dimensionally the same, but on the inside the wall thickness and internal plating are beefed up slightly. Of course, this is a placebo to placate the masses and will not solve the fire issue. We have found two issues in the latest FCA calibration that lead to excessive manifold temps. These are both being solved with the new tune we are in the process of certifying with CARB and EPA. We hope to have a real solution out in the field in the April time frame. All of this nightmare could have been avoided with good engineering.
When did the EGR and possible engine fire problem all begin?

·
Registered
55 Posts
So the unresolved VB1 fix that we are waiting for parts for is to use the 2020 part?

·
Registered
385 Posts
For those who have GDE tuned rigs the question begs...If you are notified by FCA that your rig is subject to the EGR cooler recall, will you let the dealer install "the fix?"

Hail no.

The EGR would be gone, on my dime, before that would happen.

If I was tuned, I would. I would put in my stock ecm, allow the new EGR to be installed and make sure the dealer thoroughly inspected the intake and other components while they were at it. Then I’d put my tunes ecm back in.

Again - if I was tuned.

·
Registered
936 Posts
If I was tuned, I would. I would put in my stock ecm, allow the new EGR to be installed and make sure the dealer thoroughly inspected the intake and other components while they were at it. Then I’d put my tunes ecm back in.

Again - if I was tuned.
What is the point of installing a different cooler if you are running around with the EGR shut off anyhow? To keep appearances up?

·
Registered
63 Posts
One year ago last April mine spontaneous combusted as I was towing a RV on our first camping trip of season. I was able to put it out but still took a month to get my truck back. SKT baby.

·
Registered
493 Posts
The bath I took on trading my 2016 2 years ago is looking better and better. Getting use to seeing the 16 liters per 100 km fuel economy on the Hemi too lol. Good luck guys FCA sure dropped the ball here. 2222 model gen3 ecodiesel might be okay gives them a few years to get the bugs out.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
That gives em a lot of years, I’ll be surprised if cars are still a thing, probably be those weird flying around cities with billions of people in the same place and stuff that I don’t wanna be around for, give me 30 more years of internal combustion engines and after that I may or may not still be alive, who knows.

·
Registered
493 Posts
That gives em a lot of years, I’ll be surprised if cars are still a thing, probably be those weird flying around cities with billions of people in the same place and stuff that I don’t wanna be around for, give me 30 more years of internal combustion engines and after that I may or may not still be alive, who knows.

Maybe there will be Rams on Mars in 2222. Probably still skimping on the customer support there too.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts