RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
There is a lot of mis-information regarding the cause of the engine fires and the redesigned egr cooler. The new cooler is the same part that is now used on the 2020 engine. Externally it is dimensionally the same, but on the inside the wall thickness and internal plating are beefed up slightly. Of course, this is a placebo to placate the masses and will not solve the fire issue. We have found two issues in the latest FCA calibration that lead to excessive manifold temps. These are both being solved with the new tune we are in the process of certifying with CARB and EPA. We hope to have a real solution out in the field in the April time frame. All of this nightmare could have been avoided with good engineering.
I suspect this is either proporitery information or you don't want the possible blowback from saying anything, however, I'll ask anyway. Would you be willing to inform the public what you found in more detail once the tune is available? I'm mostly just curious. Comes with my physics background and tends to ruin conversations.

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
One year ago last April mine spontaneous combusted as I was towing a RV on our first camping trip of season. I was able to put it out but still took a month to get my truck back. SKT baby.
@ ms14796 .
Care to elaborate on where you aimed the fire extiguisher to put fire out ??
when I first read of the fires , I purchased a fire extinguisher and mounted in a bracket to hold the extinguisher behind
rear seat , after that I read more than once that a fire on a diesel engine could not be put out with just a small extinguisher
so I regretted my install , but maybe you have a trick ....

·
Registered
987 Posts
If I can get the wife and granddaughter out, assuming anyone else is in the truck, that's enough for me. Oh, maybe my bike shoes. They're broken in!

81 - 85 of 85 Posts