18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
extending length of bed.

better set up with side tool boxes.

what do you see as the disadvantages?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
That sounds like something better left until after the warranty runs out. My .02

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Farmers and Ranchers like them because there extremely useful for loading hay,feed, chemicals ect.most likely a flat bed would not affect warranty, our dealer installs them it's a country thing. And the nicest flat beds I've seen are the ones on the Home Depot rental trucks they're aluminum and sides are on hinges nice!!! You can buy a steel flat bed pre made for about 1200-1500.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have to agree with robertm. The auto manufactures put these ratings on for insurance porpoises to cover their asses. I don't know one person with a truck who has EVER worried about payload. and I have yet to see anyone break anything on their trucks because of it. I remember when I was a kid where I grew up there was an old farmer who had nothing but 2wd trucks, and in the winter time for sufficient weight, he would load a full size round hay bale in it. By the way he had half ton trucks. I myself have loaded my old half ton Chevy down with so much fill dirt that the receiver hitch would bottom out on bumps, and also hauled a load of 12 full sized railroad ties. never had any issues except with the rail ties I couldn't go over 35 mph because the front end would start to float around too much.

·
Registered
12,811 Posts
Probably best left for the larger frame and suspension of a 2500 or more. That's not only for load capacity but type of operation.

Farm equipment is normally slow speed, long idle-time operation. Not sure any of the current diesels are well suited for that type of operation. Certainly, the way the V.M. Moteri is emissioned and EGR'd, doubtful.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You make a good point captain. Once the 'off highway' tuning deletes the emissions and egr it'll be set. If they aren't air suspension they'll make one really nice ranch truck.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Actually pre made flat beds are a lot lighter in general because pre made flat beds are thin and cheap metal what makes everything heavy is when you add a fuel tank , tool boxes, ect then it adds up quick!!! And a good custom flat bed cost a lot more than a pre made .
And to take a bed off a truck is extremely easy usually about 8 bolts and unplug tail lights and filler neck 3-4 people and its off .And just to add to this it is much easier to remove the bed if you have any fuel tank issues to work on it IMOP

·
Registered
481 Posts
Probably best left for the larger frame and suspension of a 2500 or more. That's not only for load capacity but type of operation.

Farm equipment is normally slow speed, long idle-time operation. Not sure any of the current diesels are well suited for that type of operation. Certainly, the way the V.M. Moteri is emissioned and EGR'd, doubtful.
my thoughts exactly, if for heavy load and work use then a 2500 or higher would be better suited

1 - 12 of 12 Posts