RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

ecodiesel flatbed

21K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  biodiesel 
#1 ·
has anyone looked into or put a flatbed on their truck?

-- 2015 big horn

#4 ·
That sounds like something better left until after the warranty runs out. My .02

#5 ·
Farmers and Ranchers like them because there extremely useful for loading hay,feed, chemicals ect.most likely a flat bed would not affect warranty, our dealer installs them it's a country thing. And the nicest flat beds I've seen are the ones on the Home Depot rental trucks they're aluminum and sides are on hinges nice!!! You can buy a steel flat bed pre made for about 1200-1500.

#8 ·
I have to agree with robertm. The auto manufactures put these ratings on for insurance porpoises to cover their asses. I don't know one person with a truck who has EVER worried about payload. and I have yet to see anyone break anything on their trucks because of it. I remember when I was a kid where I grew up there was an old farmer who had nothing but 2wd trucks, and in the winter time for sufficient weight, he would load a full size round hay bale in it. By the way he had half ton trucks. I myself have loaded my old half ton Chevy down with so much fill dirt that the receiver hitch would bottom out on bumps, and also hauled a load of 12 full sized railroad ties. never had any issues except with the rail ties I couldn't go over 35 mph because the front end would start to float around too much.

#9 ·
Probably best left for the larger frame and suspension of a 2500 or more. That's not only for load capacity but type of operation.

Farm equipment is normally slow speed, long idle-time operation. Not sure any of the current diesels are well suited for that type of operation. Certainly, the way the V.M. Moteri is emissioned and EGR'd, doubtful.

#11 ·
Actually pre made flat beds are a lot lighter in general because pre made flat beds are thin and cheap metal what makes everything heavy is when you add a fuel tank , tool boxes, ect then it adds up quick!!! And a good custom flat bed cost a lot more than a pre made .
And to take a bed off a truck is extremely easy usually about 8 bolts and unplug tail lights and filler neck 3-4 people and its off .And just to add to this it is much easier to remove the bed if you have any fuel tank issues to work on it IMOP

#13 ·
This guy, I believe, has two EcoDiesel trucks with flat beds. One is a regular cab and the other is a quad or crew cab.

#15 ·
I've had the photos for a few years, but I just found this thread. 😉 I've been thinking about converting my 2015 to a flatbed. When looking for ideas, this thread came up in a google search.

Reactions: Ecosparky
#16 ·
Here's another photo that I saved:

#19 · (Edited)
#20 ·
I found another 1500 with a flat bed.

Reactions: Dennisvab
#21 ·
It's time to update this thread with new pics!

#26 ·
Keep those flatbed pictures coming.

#27 ·
Function over form for sure. I could definitely see it for a quad or loading with a forklift or something. Kinda hideous for every day use.

#28 ·
Love the lower toolbox!