RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are some folks on here that are still paying the stealerships to change their fuel filters. I know that some folks are nervous doing some of their own maintanence... but the fuel filter is sooooo easy... that you should just do it yourself!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Nice video and you're right about STEALership. I changed mine, using the bag technique, like you, but used a ratchet and the Geno's Garage tool instead of the oil filter wrench. Anyway, I was really curious what they would charge, so I called the dealership after I had changed it. They said they would charge 250.00. That made me really happy, because it cost me 15 minutes and 30.00 for the filter.

Keep truckin' man, nice video!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TSR6,
You should post this in the DIY thread too if you don't mind...thanks.
Do you have a link to this? I'll surely do this...

Nice video and you're right about STEALership. I changed mine, using the bag technique, like you, but used a ratchet and the Geno's Garage tool instead of the oil filter wrench. Anyway, I was really curious what they would charge, so I called the dealership after I had changed it. They said they would charge 250.00. That made me really happy, because it cost me 15 minutes and 30.00 for the filter.

Keep truckin' man, nice video!
Bingo.... I've heard around the same.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Great video, I had a similar experience. One tip for you though, ditch the wedding ring when you do automotive work (or really any physical work). I know a couple guys who had to have their left ring finger amputated. They each made one careless slip and learned a painful lesson (one had the ring pinched and then ripped off his finger along with most of the tissue and the other was a 12 volt electical short through his ring. Instantly turned the ring cherry red and cooked his finger through the bone).

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great video, I had a similar experience. One tip for you though, ditch the wedding ring when you do automotive work (or really any physical work). I know a couple guys who had to have their left ring finger amputated. They each made one careless slip and learned a painful lesson (one had the ring pinched and then ripped off his finger along with most of the tissue and the other was a 12 volt electical short through his ring. Instantly turned the ring cherry red and cooked his finger through the bone).
I do for more involved items - oil change and fuel filter change - worst that can happen is a smelly finger.

·
Registered
86 Posts
this makes it look pretty simple - I am always intimidated about doing this myself, I always break stuff when I try it. with that being said I tried to let the dealership do my maintenance and have felt the aggravation. I always asked them to complete the suggested maintenance list that is provided in the owners manual for that KM interval along with my oil change. Last month (where I heard about changing fuel filters ever 20 - 30K) I get looking through my receipts only to find out the fuel filter was not changed at 48K according to the work list. Also looking back through, I never saw anything about checking/draining water from the filter. So it turns out that I went 60xxx KM on the factory filter by the time I got it replaced. My fuel economy did get better for the next couple tanks but is back up now to 11.3L/100km.
Long story, sorry - but I'm looking at doing my own maintenance and DIY vids like this help. Keep them coming folks if you could.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Thanks for posting. No matter the experience level, there's something there for everyone.

Nice to loosen the filter first so that it can be hand-loosened later in that bag. After loosening it, you can crack that drain screw and let it drain a bit into a pan or something. That screw is "trapped" and does not fall out unless you pull it out. It also drains better if pushed up a little after loose. At least when you do bag the filter there's less fuel to fill the bag.

Now the bag idea works well after a little loosening and draining. So simple even the mechanically inept can be successful.

As for the smell of diesel under the armpits, it might excite women? Try and let us know.

·
Super Moderator
2,534 Posts
Thanks for the video. Only thing I would add is to replace the factory drain plug with one like comes from Geno's so you can drain the filter housing prior to loosening the housing and priming once the filter and housing is retightened.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just did my air filter and fuel filter .. Saved $52 on the fuel filter and $15 on the air filter. Saved another $200 on labor and it took me longer to get the dang air box top off than it did to change the filter. Fuel filter was dirty at 17k but not horrible...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Just did my air filter and fuel filter .. Saved $52 on the fuel filter and $15 on the air filter. Saved another $200 on labor and it took me longer to get the dang air box top off than it did to change the filter. Fuel filter was dirty at 17k but not horrible...
Looks can be deceiving Just because it is dark colluded doesn't mean it's dirty.
Fuel flow test would be the only way you can say that it wasn't flowing properly

My 2014 I went to 177000 km with original filter
my 2016 I have gone 72,000 km with original filter
And likely will continue one until I have an issue I think many filters Are changed prematurely
Keep in mind I buy all my fuel at one high volume station and usually use the truck large nozzle pump

·
Registered
395 Posts
I just did this last week without the bag. I had a big pan, but it does pour all over your driveshaft and muffler. The bag is a great trick that I will use next time. I found that I could crack the seal with the oil filter wrench and unscrew by hand quite a few turns before any fuel started to come out, so I would crack the seal without the bag then put the bag on when you can turn it by hand. I didn't even try the plug after seeing other videos that it doesn't allow much fuel to run.

Thanks for this.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks can be deceiving Just because it is dark colluded doesn't mean it's dirty.
Fuel flow test would be the only way you can say that it wasn't flowing properly

My 2014 I went to 177000 km with original filter
my 2016 I have gone 72,000 km with original filter
And likely will continue one until I have an issue I think many filters Are changed prematurely
Keep in mind I buy all my fuel at one high volume station and usually use the truck large nozzle pump
Agreed. Black does not mean dirty.

I change at the recommended interval only to keep the warranty.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I changed my fuel filter at the dealer recommended interval (approx. 48000 kms) in order to maintain the warranty requirements, but don't believe that it needed to be changed based upon its appearance and the fact that I performed a make-shift flow test with the waste diesel and there was no apparent flow restriction or signs of water in the reservoir. Maybe the exclusive diet of Esso diesel here in Newfoundland is good, clean fuel and I am not therefore subject to poorer quality diesel I hear about from other owners. Also, there is no biodiesel here on the Rock, I'm told because shipping it here across the ocean would introduce unacceptable levels of moisture into the fuel and this is a very wet Province at the best of times. To change it I simply loosened it off the housing with a small filter wrench, and then held a low profile bucket underneath it while I turned it off. Didn't spill a drop on the drop cloth or get any diesel on me so wasn't so bad, but it still isn't a very convenient location for the filter, I'm sure Chrysler could have put a wee bit more thought into it. I still can't believe that it cost me nearly $50 CDN and it was made in China. If it cost more than $1 to manufacture I'd be very surprised.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts