RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2015 ECOALDiesel
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cut and paste this from another forum....looking for help anywhere I can find it

I'm starting to lose my $#&% with my EcoD. Here's my story....Back in June my truck stopped working.....would start for a sec then shut off...no codes. Local Dodge dealer did diagnostics and came back with tone wheel being the culprit. They replaced the tone wheel and sensor and was estatic when told it would be covered under the extended tone wheel warranty. I reinstalled my updated SFT Stage 2 tune at the shop and the truck fired right up....ran great for about 20 miles....then the SETC warning came up and 2 DTCs P0132 and P0545 regarding redundant sensors that are part of the DPF which is totally deleted. I limped home...cleaned MAF sensor and air filter....both were more than passable for condition. I cleared the DTCs and went for a run.....ran great no codes. On Saturday I thought I'd run AlfaOBD to see if it would show any codes for fun. Lo and behold there was one.....U0100. Cleared it and it hasn't come back. Now I come to this morning.....I go and start the truck and it idles for about 8 seconds then shuts off. Scan for a code and another new one P24C2. Clear the code and same thing ....starts and idles then shuts off. I'm getting desperate now as I'm going to be late for my shift. I flash back to my stock tune and clear all codes....I reinstall the SFT Stage 2 tune and when I try to start....same scenario.... starts strong, idles for about 8 seconds then shuts down and no codes on scanner. I'm sick to my stomach right now trying to figure this out and where to even start. There is a local tuner who specializes in EcoD MRtunes and bench tunes. I just don't know what to do. I heard of a worse case scenario of putting truck back to stock and starting again but this would be a nightmare. I'm at a real low point right now emotionally with family and outside issues and this is the icing on the cake so please be kind and just looking for direction and knowledge to get me through this mess

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Your tuner needs to update your tune to reflect the updates the dealer performed. Unfortunately SFT is a tune reseller and not real tuners/software engineers, so your results may vary.

Bottom line? Get an updated tune from SFT or a reputable tuner.

·
Registered
2015 ECOALDiesel
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry I can't help, but did you contact SFT? The tune could be the problem. Also I'm curious how you can run the stock tune with the DPF deleted
I flashed it back to stock not to run the truck just to get it back to its original state so I could reinstall the Stage 2 tune and see if that would clear it up. I've never tried starting the truck with the original stock file as like you said I'm totally deleted

·
Registered
2015 ECOALDiesel
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Bounty Hunter, always appreciate your input. If the dealership somehow screwed up my ECM is it still salvageable? I'm looking at MRTunes through Eco Performance Parts Canada. Could a bench flash/tune fix a messed up ECM?????

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Hey Bounty Hunter, always appreciate your input. If the dealership somehow screwed up my ECM is it still salvageable? I'm looking at MRTunes through Eco Performance Parts Canada. Could a bench flash/tune fix a messed up ECM?????
Hi: Iselmes... The only tune I know off by heart is "Oh Canada"!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
2015 Bighorn, CC, 6'4", 4x4, 3.55
797 Posts
Like @97hmcs, I'm confused. From your first post:

They replaced the tone wheel and sensor and was estatic when told it would be covered under the extended tone wheel warranty. I reinstalled my updated SFT Stage 2 tune at the shop and the truck fired right up....
From this I surmise that your truck was deleted prior to your original issue, you flashed back to stock to take it to the dealer, the dealer somehow diagnosed and repaired your truck with the stock tune installed but without emissions equipment. Then you flashed back to your stage 2 tune.

We're confused because if your truck was deleted but running the stock tune, your dash would be lit up like a Christmas tree. There's no way a dealer tech would sift through and/or ignore the mountain of emissions related codes (from missing equipment) they would see with the stock tune.

They would start asking questions and the minute you tell them "oh I had the problem with an aftermarket tune but flashed back to stock for you to fix it." They'd throw the keys back at you (after you pay their diag fee) and tell you good luck fixing it on your own.

Even if they chose to ignore the emissions codes and do the work for you, they likely wouldn't be able to start the truck let alone test drive it because of all the codes.

·
Registered
2015 ECOALDiesel
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Sorry guys I'm having a tough time here......my truck has been tuned for 3 years with SFT Stage 2. They flashed W58 onto my ECU without me putting it back to stock. The mechanic said after installing W58 the truck started right up proving the tone ring was done. SFT gave me the ok to have them flash W58 without reverting to stock because it is Stage 2 tuned and he said it wasn't necessary because W58 would return it to stock.....does this make sense????

This dealership knows I'm tuned and has been great to deal with....please be patient with me and keep asking and I'll try my best to explain

·
Registered
2015 ECOALDiesel
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It sure sounds like you lost the SFT tune when the W58 flash update was done. Have you heard from SFT since the issue started?
I installed an updated SFT Stage 2 tune made for the W58 recall after the tone wheel was replaced. The truck ran great but did throw the SETC with those redundant codes. After clearing the codes truck was running without issue. It's after it was parked for more than 24 hours that it wouldn't run.....it starts up then shuts off after 7-8 seconds. I had a new code that again related to my deleted DPF/SCR sensors.. P24C2.....cleared but didn't fix

·
Administrator
10,098 Posts
I installed an updated SFT Stage 2 tune made for the W58 recall after the tone wheel was replaced. The truck ran great but did throw the SETC with those redundant codes. After clearing the codes truck was running without issue. It's after it was parked for more than 24 hours that it wouldn't run.....it starts up then shuts off after 7-8 seconds. I had a new code that again related to my deleted DPF/SCR sensors.. P24C2.....cleared but didn't fix
Sounds like you are at the mercy of SFT. I hope they figure it out.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,654 Posts
Hoping SFT CAN figure it out.

There have been "issues" here with them. Good to read they are trying to cooperate. Keep us informed.

Reactions: lselmes

·
Registered
2015 ECOALDiesel
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys....I'll keep y'all posted. I'm feeling kinda sick with anxiety over the possibility of having to revert the truck back to its original setup. ...I'd have to get DPF and SCR pipes, DEF and emissions wiring harness and god knows how much to install.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
If the dealer flashed over your tune, your handheld programmer should be useless unless you pay to have it unlocked.

I don't think the dealership screwed up your ECM. The problem is you didn't flash back to stock so your handheld programmer is now locked.

Any good tuner can help you out, you'll just upload the stock tune and send it to them. Definitely use EOC.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts