RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2015 ECOALDiesel
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
If the dealer flashed over your tune, your handheld programmer should be useless unless you pay to have it unlocked.

I don't think the dealership screwed up your ECM. The problem is you didn't flash back to stock so your handheld programmer is now locked.

Any good tuner can help you out, you'll just upload the stock tune and send it to them. Definitely use EOC.
My handheld seems to be working fine....I've loaded a couple tunes since the dealership flash. The handheld loads the tune....no errors or messages on the handheld

·
Registered
2015 ECOALDiesel
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So I loaded stock file and she fires right up......put the tune back in and no run. I got 2 codes U0100 and U0101 off AlfaOBD

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
So I loaded stock file and she fires right up......put the tune back in and no run. I got 2 codes U0100 and U0101 off AlfaOBD
So the tune is based off old software and does not have the correct logic, sounds like your tone wheel is still bad and needs replaced or the tune is bad. If the dealer says they were replaced I would say the tune is the issue. What tuning device are you using sft has tried multiple over the years?

·
Registered
2015 ECOALDiesel
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So the tune is based off old software and does not have the correct logic, sounds like your tone wheel is still bad and needs replaced or the tune is bad. If the dealer says they were replaced I would say the tune is the issue. What tuning device are you using sft has tried multiple over the years?
Tone wheel and sensor replaced by dodge dealership. Using SFT's PowerGate 3+ touch screen. Beginning to think the tone wheel wasn't the issue as its doing the same start....idle...shutoff as it did the very first time this whole shite show started. I just don't get why it runs in stock but won't run tuned.....this sucks

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Tone wheel and sensor replaced by dodge dealership. Using SFT's PowerGate 3+ touch screen. Beginning to think the tone wheel wasn't the issue as its doing the same start....idle...shutoff as it did the very first time this whole shite show started. I just don't get why it runs in stock but won't run tuned.....this sucks
The pg3 should be locked to the software its very strange why your able to push the tune back on in the first place.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Your stock tune was updated.

Your stage 2 tune is based off the stock tune.

Your stage 2 tune needs updated to reflect the changes with the stock tune.

You were told this above.

Bite the bullet and get a good tune like EOC.

·
Registered
2015 ECOALDiesel
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Your stock tune was updated.

Your stage 2 tune is based off the stock tune.

Your stage 2 tune needs updated to reflect the changes with the stock tune.

You were told this above.

Bite the bullet and get a good tune like EOC.
I've tried 2 updated SFT tunes based on this stock tune with no luck. Is it possible that a bench tune is the only way to go? My dilemma is going with a bench tune with one of the tuners up here in British Columbia and that doesn't fix the issue.... that's around $1200.00. Then I only have the nuclear option......reverting my truck back to stock.... that thought just makes me sick to my stomach

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I've tried 2 updated SFT tunes based on this stock tune with no luck. Is it possible that a bench tune is the only way to go? My dilemma is going with a bench tune with one of the tuners up here in British Columbia and that doesn't fix the issue.... that's around $1200.00. Then I only have the nuclear option......reverting my truck back to stock.... that thought just makes me sick to my stomach
Reread that first line and think about what your issue might be. I told you above that SFT are not tuners nor are they software engineers, just tune resellers.

You don't HAVE to get a bench tune. But you do have to use a good tuner.

·
Registered
2015 ECOALDiesel
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Reread that first line and think about what your issue might be. I told you above that SFT are not tuners nor are they software engineers, just tune resellers.

You don't HAVE to get a bench tune. But you do have to use a good tuner.
Thanks Bounty....... In a short discussion with Chris from EOC he says that my truck might not be able to accept a tune and would have to revert to stock to get out of this mess. This is just the worst news. I just don't get it.

·
Registered
2015 ECOALDiesel
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Really starting to think tone ring was never the issue as the truck is doing exactly what it did at the very beginning of this nightmare. Starts....idles for a second...shuts off. My truck never had any issues up until that morning a month ago....my Stage 2 tune had been flawless for 3 years. Possibly not even tune related???? I'm so confused

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Really starting to think tone ring was never the issue as the truck is doing exactly what it did at the very beginning of this nightmare. Starts....idles for a second...shuts off. My truck never had any issues up until that morning a month ago....my Stage 2 tune had been flawless for 3 years. Possibly not even tune related???? I'm so confused
Mine would start and idle well for a few seconds then shut off when I had a vin mismatch in my ecm. It's a security feature. Leads me to still believe it's tune related.

·
Registered
2015 ECOALDiesel
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Mine would start and idle well for a few seconds then shut off when I had a vin mismatch in my ecm. It's a security feature. Leads me to still believe it's tune related.
I checked my VIN with AlfaOBD and its the original. SFT just sent me a new tune but no go....same issue....start stop

·
Registered
5 Posts
Unfortunately you are not going to like to hear this but I had problems with my sft stage one tune in the cold and heard the same crap from sft. They were very nice but honestly dont think they know much about there own tunes. After 6 different "updated tunes" still the same problem. I finally gave up and I am going to buy a GDE tune. Hope they do better for you!

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I checked my VIN with AlfaOBD and its the original. SFT just sent me a new tune but no go....same issue....start stop
I didn't mean to imply it was an issue with the VIN. I advised is sounds like a security issue, the SFT tuning is not happy with the base OEM tuning on the ecm. Not compatible.

What I said is your issue is similar to when my VIN was a mismatch. You've got another mismatch besides the VIN, or some reason SFT's modifications are not compatible with the base file.

I don't know tuning so this is all a SWAG.

Reactions: lselmes

·
Registered
2015 ECOALDiesel
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I didn't mean to imply it was an issue with the VIN. I advised is sounds like a security issue, the SFT tuning is not happy with the base OEM tuning on the ecm. Not compatible.

What I said is your issue is similar to when my VIN was a mismatch. You've got another mismatch besides the VIN, or some reason SFT's modifications are not compatible with the base file.

I don't know tuning so this is all a SWAG.
I appreciate any and all input Bounty. Thanks for making the effort.

·
Registered
495 Posts
From my "limited understanding", "tunes" as we call them actually just partially rewrite the ECU, some of the sub-routines within the program are rewritten and some are not. I do know there has been 3 different stock ECU tunes from RAM for the 2018. There is a possiblity that the "newest" tune has some of the sub-routines in different memory locations. So, if you try and rewrite a sub-routine for the EGR it could be changing something in the idle section of the program....you don't know, nor does anyone else unless they have hacked all of the ECU each time RAM changes each year of the stock tunes.

·
Registered
2015 ECOALDiesel
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Talked to Chris again from EOC and the news wasn't good. He says he can't guarantee their tune can fix my issue and that I might have to rebuild my truck back to stock. This is just the worst case scenario possible. I'm crushed. My truck is a worthless brick in my driveway 😭

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Talked to Chris again from EOC and the news wasn't good. He says he can't guarantee their tune can fix my issue and that I might have to rebuild my truck back to stock. This is just the worst case scenario possible. I'm crushed. My truck is a worthless brick in my driveway 😭
Try and drive it stock and see if the issue is really gone. Yes it well go into limp mode and a count down to no start but it should not shut off. If the issue goes away it is tune related and you need a new tune.

·
Registered
2015 ECOALDiesel
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Try and drive it stock and see if the issue is really gone. Yes it well go into limp mode and a count down to no start but it should not shut off. If the issue goes away it is tune related and you need a new tune.
Ok...I got nothing to lose at this point. I'll post results tomorrow

·
Registered
2017 Laramie eco 30k. 3:91
216 Posts
..it starts up then shuts off after 7-8 seconds. I had a new code that again related to my deleted DPF/SCR sensors.. P24C2.....cleared but didn't fix
if you are truly deleted you shouldn’t be getting the DPF, SCR codes at all. Those sensors don’t exist in the code within the tune. Somehow putting your SFT tune back on it missed that or was added back in with the W58.

I’m no tuner advisor, but If I’m reading this correctly, it seems logical that’s the case. How about a new tune from MRT? 1500 bucks, but it’s solid.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts