RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2015 ECOALDiesel
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
if you are truly deleted you shouldn’t be getting the DPF, SCR codes at all. Those sensors don’t exist in the code within the tune. Somehow putting your SFT tune back on it missed that or was added back in with the W58.

I’m no tuner advisor, but If I’m reading this correctly, it seems logical that’s the case. How about a new tune from MRT? 1500 bucks, but it’s solid.
My whole saga started back in June when all of a sudden one morning the truck wouldn't run. Start...idle...die....no codes. All the stuff between then and now .....new tone wheel and sensor ,multiple tune files from SFT, truck seeming to be ok for a short while, multiple codes relating to emissions sensors.etc etc Now I'm back to having the same scenario as that June morning of start....idle....die. I'm afraid to put out all that money on a new tune to have it not be the cure.... especially after Chris from EOC (MRTunes) said he couldn't guarantee a tune would work and that I might have to put my truck back to stock

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I'm afraid to put out all that money on a new tune to have it not be the cure.... especially after Chris from EOC (MRTunes) said he couldn't guarantee a tune would work and that I might have to put my truck back to stock
Any smart tuner would give you this disclaimer.

What other options do you have?

·
Registered
2015 ECOALDiesel
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Breaking News....in my desperate search for answers I found someone experiencing my exact situation on the website Diagnostic Network. I was able to reach out to this person and they just gave me the low down on what happened. Here's his story.......copied and pasted from my email

Yeah no problem at all I remember the hell I went through to try to figure this one out so I'm glad I can potentially help. So it sounds just like what I went through, the truck would start on the stock tune file via jumping starter relay, of course all kinds of codes.
Previously to me working on the truck the customer had got the oil pressure sensor replaced and supposedly the truck ran and drove for a little bit maybe a day and right back into the same scenario. I got the truck, I scoped all kinds of signals. Couldn't really come up with anything other than the fuel injector pulse width was shorter. When I say shorter I mean only having two pulses when it died instead of three on a normal running engine. it threw me for a loop because it appeared like the PCM was simply kinda slowly starving the engine of fuel. (I compared the pulse with to other ecodiesels.) After finding the pulse on the ejector being the only thing that appeared different I assumed the PCM was faulty. At this point I didn't realize the truck runs on the stock file. So I replaced the PCM and it ran great until I put the tune on it. Thinking there was something with the PCM going into limp mode with all the codes on the stock file I dug some more. Miraculously a guy and I believe he was from Ohio reached out to me via Diagnostic Network post and said he had a similar experience and a different tune solved the problem. So I took the leap bought another tune and voila problem gone.
I went through Sierra Industries, Alberta . Using HP Tuner.
Also worth noting is the fact that this truck also ran for half it's life on this tune. And i reached out to the original tuning company EOC. And they said it couldn't be the tune because it ran for so long with no problem. However after I figured out the problem I was pretty frustrated so I wanted to make sure they realized that their tune can make this fault in case someone else asks them. Eventually I received an answer that stated as much, yes they realized that there is a problem like this. 🤔

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Hmmm someone told you all along that you needed a new tune.

I don't believe tuning can just 'go bad' like a tire eventually wears out. I think your issue was with your sft tuning being incompatible.

·
Registered
2015 ECOALDiesel
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Before I drop a grand on the HP Tuner I took my truck over to one of our more experienced mechanics where I live. I just want him to do a total diagnostic on everything just in case the Dodge Dealership missed something. I put the tune into stock and limped over with no issue. Before I left I put it back into tune mode for them to do their tests. I popped in today to remind them to put it into stock if they need to move it or need a running engine. Their apprentice is a diesel guy and he said the truck started with his foot on brake and throttle. What the hell??? This truck is whack. Anyways I'm waiting in line for them to get on it so hopefully I'll know more next week.

·
Administrator
10,098 Posts
Before I drop a grand on the HP Tuner I took my truck over to one of our more experienced mechanics where I live. I just want him to do a total diagnostic on everything just in case the Dodge Dealership missed something. I put the tune into stock and limped over with no issue. Before I left I put it back into tune mode for them to do their tests. I popped in today to remind them to put it into stock if they need to move it or need a running engine. Their apprentice is a diesel guy and he said the truck started with his foot on brake and throttle. What the hell??? This truck is whack. Anyways I'm waiting in line for them to get on it so hopefully I'll know more next week.
Tune issue.

·
Registered
2015 ECOALDiesel
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Why on earth would you do that?
If my truck comes back with a clean bil of health mechanically I'm dropping the SFT tune.......they've tried over a dozen tune files with no fix. $1000-1200 CAD to go with EOC and their HP Tuners package. Chris @ EOC has convinced me to drop the SFT tune

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
If my truck comes back with a clean bil of health mechanically I'm dropping the SFT tune.......they've tried over a dozen tune files with no fix. $1000-1200 CAD to go with EOC and their HP Tuners package. Chris @ EOC has convinced me to drop the SFT tune
Well you're hearing from more than just Chris lol.

Did he recommend loading the tune file with HPtuners over the pg3 handheld programmer they offer for free with their tune?

·
Registered
2015 ECOALDiesel
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Well you're hearing from more than just Chris lol.

Did he recommend loading the tune file with HPtuners over the pg3 handheld programmer they offer for free with their tune?
Yes. He says that there is issues with certain trucks and the PG3 handheld. I've now talked to 2 mechanics ...one in Ontario and the one in New York. Both had my same scenario and spent wasted hours chasing ghosts on fully deleted gen 2 Ecodiesel's until both tried new tunes from different tuners and BINGO....back to life. I never doubted you Bounty or anyone else I just needed to be 1000% sure before I spent much needed money on a new tune that I feared might not work. So HP Tuners it is and I'll let you all know how that next chapter unfolds in the coming weeks

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I never doubted you Bounty or anyone else I just needed to be 1000% sure before I spent much needed money on a new tune that I feared might not work. So HP Tuners it is and I'll let you all know how that next chapter unfolds in the coming weeks
Understandable.

There's also the option of sending your ECM to EOC for a bench flash.

Reactions: MR. TED and lselmes

·
Registered
2015 ECOALDiesel
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Understandable.

There's also the option of sending your ECM to EOC for a bench flash.
I do like the idea of a bench flash. The only problem with that is I lose the ability to flash back to stock when the situation arises. I would need a back up PCM with stock tune? Can I use any ecodiesel PCM to achieve this?

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I do like the idea of a bench flash. The only problem with that is I lose the ability to flash back to stock when the situation arises. I would need a back up PCM with stock tune? Can I use any ecodiesel PCM to achieve this?
Many keep a stock ECM around just for this purpose. Best to keep your stock ECM for this purpose and send the spare to EOC. They'll have to set the VIN and injector codes to match your truck, or you can do it with AlfaOBD.

A spare ECM usually runs around 250-300 usd.

Reactions: lselmes

·
Registered
175 Posts
Many keep a stock ECM around just for this purpose. Best to keep your stock ECM for this purpose and send the spare to EOC. They'll have to set the VIN and injector codes to match your truck, or you can do it with AlfaOBD.

A spare ECM usually runs around 250-300 usd.
Yep, I have my (Stock) ECM in the truck that I use just for trips to the dealer considering all the recalls. I trust absolutely no one

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Can I get any used ECM from a 2014-2019 EcoD or is there more to it????
They're not all the same, per se. You want to find one with the same axle ratio as your truck.

If you're going to tune the used ECM then don't worry about year, 14-19. If you're going to use the used ECM as a stock ECM then you want to stick with 14-15 and 16-19, depending on the year of your truck. This is due to the use of a DEF quality sensor beginning in'16.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts