RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, if you have seen my other posts, I have been trying to order an Ecodiesel Outdoorsman with some issues (restrictions on air suspension, Restrictions on 28T, etc). Anyway, I finally spoke with a RAM rep and during our discussion about the EcoD, I asked about the extended lifetime warranty and why it apparently excludes the Diesel. The answer in a nutshell is that the Diesel is expensive to repair and has a shorter lifespan than the gas engines. What?! It's a diesel! Most diesels have double the lifespan of gas engines. In order to max out performance for the 1500, it is pushed hard and therefore has a lower lifespan? lol

They are selling a ton of these trucks, but already as seen on this forum and others, folks are having issues and not just minor ones. Emissions system failures, blown engines due to broken cam followers, cam sprockets coming off, intercooler sludge and clogs, turbo issues, customers having their trucks bought back due to lemon clauses, etc, etc.

Really, that is a big red flag that Chrysler won't back an engine with even an optional extended warranty. Hyundai and Ford offer lifetime power train warranties on all of their vehicles! Seems like they know they would get their butts kicked when these things start crapping out after the standard power train warranty expires. C'mon, where's the Guts and the Glory and the standing by your product?

Other red flags are simple QA issues that should not be present on $50k vehicles; loose hose clamps on intercooler hoses, tires that rub wire harnesses due to poor packaging, loose connections on sensors, etc. If I buy a relatively expensive, brand new vehicle, I shouldn't have to check all of my hoses and sensor connections or worry that my hoses are going to disconnect or that I could be stranded with less than 1000 miles on the thing. These are all simple checks the factory should be doing, not the customers.

Sure, we are only into the second year of a brand new idea/truck, but come on, really? A diesel with a lower lifespan than a gas engine (if that is true)? I don't know about you, but that is one of the main reasons I want a diesel. Longevity!!

Typical Chrysler antics... Get something to the market no matter the long term affects or headaches for the loyal customers.

At this point, I am re-thinking my desire to get one of these trucks. My previous trucks were all F150s and they went as high as 260k miles with zero major issues or complaints. The RAM 1500 diesel is definitely a cool truck, but it looks like after the newness wears off, it will be a world of hurt and frustration.

All I can say is ugh...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No need to throw stones pal, just thought it was information others may find interesting and may help others decide what to do. Never did I say that I was going to just go get a Ford. Just relaying my experiences with previous trucks and noting the frustration of the information. I said I was on the fence about it and only relayed what was told to me as well as input from others out there who are experiencing headaches. Another point of the thread was to gauge what others have heard or been told to see if this was misinformation or etc.

As for red flags, just pointing out that in my opinion, there are some red flags. Nope, I didn't have to look hard to find what I consider red flags.

Thanks for your worthless response. By the way, I think you meant "Don't get it then'" instead of ...'than'.

·
Registered
480 Posts
So, if you have seen my other posts, I have been trying to order an Ecodiesel Outdoorsman with some issues (restrictions on air suspension, Restrictions on 28T, etc). Anyway, I finally spoke with a RAM rep and during our discussion about the EcoD, I asked about the extended lifetime warranty and why it apparently excludes the Diesel. The answer in a nutshell is that the Diesel is expensive to repair and has a shorter lifespan than the gas engines. What?! It's a diesel! Most diesels have double the lifespan of gas engines. In order to max out performance for the 1500, it is pushed hard and therefore has a lower lifespan? lol

They are selling a ton of these trucks, but already as seen on this forum and others, folks are having issues and not just minor ones. Emissions system failures, blown engines due to broken cam followers, cam sprockets coming off, intercooler sludge and clogs, turbo issues, customers having their trucks bought back due to lemon clauses, etc, etc.

Really, that is a big red flag that Chrysler won't back an engine with even an optional extended warranty. Hyundai and Ford offer lifetime power train warranties on all of their vehicles! Seems like they know they would get their butts kicked when these things start crapping out after the standard power train warranty expires. C'mon, where's the Guts and the Glory and the standing by your product?

Other red flags are simple QA issues that should not be present on $50k vehicles; loose hose clamps on intercooler hoses, tires that rub wire harnesses due to poor packaging, loose connections on sensors, etc. If I buy a relatively expensive, brand new vehicle, I shouldn't have to check all of my hoses and sensor connections or worry that my hoses are going to disconnect or that I could be stranded with less than 1000 miles on the thing. These are all simple checks the factory should be doing, not the customers.

Sure, we are only into the second year of a brand new idea/truck, but come on, really? A diesel with a lower lifespan than a gas engine (if that is true)? I don't know about you, but that is one of the main reasons I want a diesel. Longevity!!

Typical Chrysler antics... Get something to the market no matter the long term affects or headaches for the loyal customers.

At this point, I am re-thinking my desire to get one of these trucks. My previous trucks were all F150s and they went as high as 260k miles with zero major issues or complaints. The RAM 1500 diesel is definitely a cool truck, but it looks like after the newness wears off, it will be a world of hurt and frustration.

All I can say is ugh...
Rember , all of the bad stories and complaints on these fourms that you read come from less that one percent of all of the thousands of ED RAMS out there.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Totally understand, but this info came from RAM customer service rep! That was a shocker to me.

·
Banned
272 Posts
No need to throw stones pal, just thought it was information others may find interesting and may help others decide what to do. Never did I say that I was going to just go get a Ford. Just relaying my experiences with previous trucks and noting the frustration of the information. I said I was on the fence about it and only relayed what was told to me as well as input from others out there who are experiencing headaches. Another point of the thread was to gauge what others have heard or been told to see if this was misinformation or etc.

As for red flags, just pointing out that in my opinion, there are some red flags. Nope, I didn't have to look hard to find what I consider red flags.

Thanks for your worthless response. By the way, I think you meant "Don't get it then'" instead of ...'than'.
I'm not throwing stones or trying to insult you in any way! I just keep coming on this forum and it seems to be much more negative then positive. You don't even own the truck and are bringing up issues that some people have had. BTW a very small percentage of people. I don't see this process getting any better for you. BTW thank you for correcting my spelling error! I hope it works out for you whatever direction you take.

·
Registered
961 Posts
The reason they don't do lifetime warranties on diesels is because although they will run a very long time, after about 100-150k miles they're going to need an overhaul (possible items being injectors, head bolts, fuel pump, gaskets, etc) that would essentially guarantee Chrysler loses money on a $3,000 lifetime service contract. Once gas engines hit 150k miles or so people usually just scrap them because they start to run like sh*t and fall apart.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I'm surprised any vehicle manufacture rep would ever say something like that even if it was true. He/she probably won't be there too long at that pace.

It would be interesting to know the official reason for not offering the extended warranty. I'm not sure if they're available for any diesel pickup. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything for the Duramax. Before GM extended the injector warranty, Dmax injector replacement would you back a few thousands. These engines are complicated and expensive. Maybe the only answer is to buy pickups new and replace them before the warranty expires.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
If you called the Ram800 number you spoke to a call center and I'll leave it at that (think grain of salt).

Well NO manufacture not Ford and not GM offer a Lifetime Warranty on there diesels and Hyundai does not build trucks nor do they have a diesel so that's a dumb comment to make

HAHAHA just drove past one of those "lifetime Hyundai's getting loaded on a flatbed with temporary tags on it, wonder how she feels about their QA issues.

Really then don't buy a "Chrysler" if you feel that way. I had to file a lemon law on Ford when I was buying their junk had 5 of them before I switched to Chrysler products and have owned over 13 of them. Out of those vehicles I only have issues with one a 1996 minivan. Traded it in after two years and the dealer treated me very good on the trade in. More than I can say for Ford and their dealers. I liked them so much that I went to work for them, had an offer from Ford to work at the Rouge Plant in the Die Shop and turned them down for Chrysler.

All I can say is ugh...
So you felt compelled to come to a Ram Forum and say how the Ecodiesel in a POS and will be nothing but trouble under the ruse of helping others? Go back to the Ecoboost forum you came from please. BTW Ram WILL stand behind their TRucks and their Customers unlike Ford and their junk PowerJoke line of engines!

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I believe that the reason for not offering a lifetime warranty on diesels is because historically they were used for commercial and severe duty applications, such as towing and hauling. Used for that type of service, expensive repairs are inevitable, due to the complexity of todays engines. People usually didn't purchase high dollar heavy duty trucks for daily drivers. The Ecodiesel isn't in that category and people do purchase them for light duty and for daily drivers, but they are still a diesel in the corporate mind, so no lifetime warranty.

The claim that Chrysler employee or representative said "Diesel is expensive to repair and has a shorter lifespan than the gas engines" is third party hearsay. However, it is true that modern diesels are very expensive to repair and I can personally testify to the cost of $8K to replace head gaskets and injectors on my Duramax. For that reason, I have purchased the 8yr/120K warranty, for the Ecodiesel, and will sell or trade at around 100K. My guess is that the V.M. Motori 3.0 is going to be a good engine, but will not have the longevity of commercial diesel engines. My reasoning is that the engine is relatively small in displacement and contrary to commercial engines, it has a very high horsepower to displacement ratio. Additionally, the engine was originally designed for automobiles, not trucks. I took this into consideration before I purchased my Ecodiesel and for my intended use and term of ownership, I believe that it will do the job.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Perhaps this is a good thread to repost this...

Troll vote
1. Expert - fools us all
2. Half Ass - fools half of us half the time
3. Ass - fools a few of us part of the time
3. Ass Hole - fools none of us all of the time

·
Administrator
2,187 Posts
These threads, and the ignorance behind them, floor me. Sometimes I bite... I always wish that I had not.

I loathe GM. I have my reasons. That said, I have never, and will never, go to a place catering to fans of GM, and start saying a bunch of crap. Especially unsubstantiated crap.

What a small pitiful world some live in.... seemingly by choice.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
This forum is obviously fairly immature. As is the case more often than not, folks jump right to conclusions and jump on the OP thinking there is trolling going on and bashing of a beloved brand and vehicle.

Nope, not the intent. The intent was to hopefully hear opinions of the information I was passed in hopes that the overwhelming response would be that the info was crap and not substantiated. Instead, I get bashed. Lol

As to the comment about going back to ford... Well, I unlike many and apparently many of you, I really don't give a crap about any particular brand. However, I have been happy and proud to once again have pride in American car companies.

Just FYI, I used to be a proud owner of a 2005 Chrysler SRT6 crossfire and was an advocate when nobody wanted anything to do with Chrysler. I curreny own a '13 300S, a '13 Explorer, a 1996 F150, and a '65 Chevelle with a 2008 Corvette engine. So, I have all three brands covered thank you.

Disgruntled that I can't get the truck I want? Not really; disappointed? A little bit. Have I cancelled my order due to the red flags and info? Nope. Still want it...

For the warranty stuff, great, I actually learned something. Didn't know that. Makes sense. Diesels are more expensive to maintain indeed. Good to know there are extended warranties available though even for the diesel.

Thought this would be a good exchange of info about what others have heard, thought, experienced, but that failed. Guess its only roses and happy sunsets around here that people want to discuss... Cheers

·
Administrator
2,187 Posts
I'm having a very hard time believing that a representative, of ANY company, would confide, in a potential customer, information pertaining to poor product longevity.... sorry, just sounds very unlikely to me.

I'm not a Chrysler fan boy, in fact I have successfully avoided the brand for 52 years, prior to owning this truck. What kind of conversations were you hoping for? Just run of the mill, "My truck is likely to implode soon, kinda stuff"? Thanks, I'll take it under advisement.

·
Registered
61 Posts
So let me get this straight...

You posted this thread hoping to have a genuine discussion about the EcoD
when your comments strictly depicts about 90% negative remarks regarding the
main reason this site was structured around! Comon man - what do you expect but lashing
and negative comments in return.

That would be like me coming to your house and saying that your carpets and drapes don't
match!! A bit on the offensive side, don't ya think?

If you truly had the intention of having a meaningful discussion on what you've heard/read about
the ecodiesel (that you don't own), don't start the conversation with trash talk..

You might of received a better response if you came in commenting about how you like the color
of our carpet but the drapes may need a touch up...

Move along!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Love my Ecodiesel, love the forum but people like this get on my last nerve. I have a VERY hard time believing that the Ram rep he spoke with used the so called short lifespan of this engine as an excuse. Like Judge Judy says, if it Doesn't make sense that's probably because it isn't true. I call BS

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
New trucks Limited Longevity and High Cost... !??

The information in this post is going to date me for sure.:eek: It is a long read so bear with me.
My first new truck was when I retired from the Air Force, a 1973 Chev 1/2 ton 4X4 w/4 on the floor. I drove that truck for close to 3 hundred thousand miles and only had to replace the front right hub, you know the kind you had to get out and lock it in 4 wheel drive, that is of curse tune ups that were easy to do. I worked it death , hauled a 9 1/2 foot camper I had built and it was one heave SOB. Along with the fact I hauled many cords of firewood out of the mountains along qith a few Elk and Deer.;)
The above rig was traded in on my 1991 Dodge Ram Cummins 3/4 ton and it hauled the same camper with ease w/ride rite air overloads. Never gave a thought to all the stuff we discuses here as it did not have it. The very first trip with the camper the hose from the transmission to the cooler came off, other than that nothing and that rig sold me on diesels. Of course diesel was dirt cheap back then. That 91 was traded in on a 95 RAM 3/4 and it was traded in on 03 Ram 1 ton. All were great trucks. The Turbo Diesel Registry was my place for information then and I still go there and glance through it. The also have things come up on the great Cummins engine with all the emission stuff required today.

The time between my 03 Ram and my 2015 ECO Diesel I was driving a new 2011 F150 and watching and waiting for more information when they started advertising our truck. The F150 was a nice truck to drive, pulled my travel trailer with ease but it never saw a gas station where it did not need a file up when pulling the trailer.

This ECO Diesel is not everyone's cup of tea but it is mine. Below is a picture of the 05 Ram with a 1/2 load of split tamarack wood. That was the 1st and last time my boys came down to help me get my winter supply of wood in. Very hard work Dad. ;)
Scan 2.jpg

·
Registered
698 Posts
Go to Ford and look at their drive train warranty, 60,000 miles from the factory, now look at FCA's, 100,000 miles from the factory. Should say something. One fellow over on the Ford forums had a well documented 3 EB engines replaced in 5 months, kept throwing rods through the block. Many others have replaced one or even two engines. This doesn't even take into consideration the ones after 60k miles that are having cam follower issues, stretched timing chains that take out engines, carbon buildup on the valves causing premature valve guide wear, transmission issues too and more.

Either find a vehicle you can pedal or push around and you will be safe.........maybe!

1 - 20 of 100 Posts