RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I think it's time to give this guy a break, I don't think after reading his posts that he is half the d ck as he came off! I know he is not a troll as I have viewed his posts on another forum. I think if your post was titled differently and questions were actually asked rather then drawing conclusions it would have come off better. My hope is if you purchase the truck that you will contribute to this forum maybe in a better way.
Well, I appreciate that. You see it all the time on forums. Folks are darn loyal to their cars and defend them as if they were their children when they hear anything slightly negative. Understandable and I've done the same thing. However, didn't expect the automatic jump to the post being taken as bashing instead of what it was; a bit of a sarcastic take on the crap that was told to me. Like I said, if that stuff is true, then Chrysler/RAM is doing something terribly wrong.

The title was again sarcastic hence my "!??" which pertains to the ridiculousness of the information passed to me.

I fully plan to help and share knowledge as I always feel that good or bad, when on a forum of a specific vehicle or genre of vehicle, we are all in it together good or bad.

·
Super Moderator
2,568 Posts
I'm in the same boat as a few others on here and I can understand cgocifier's reluctance as I just put an order in this past Saturday for a ED Outdoorsman (without the air ride). These threads also make me a little nervous as I have never owned a diesel before and know that most are usually trouble free for many miles. I will not be one who puts lots of miles on mine as I don't have a long commute and this will not be my daily driver. My last Chrysler Truck product was a 92 Dakota. It had a bad transfer case bearing from the factory and I had to fight with Chrysler and their antics to get it fixed. In the end the dealer I bought it from stepped up to the plate and proved to Chrysler that there was an issue. At the time I swore I would never own another. I ended up just recently selling it so it was trouble free after the initial issue. I have since had a 01 Neon a 04 Liberty.

All in all with the unique vehicle I'm willing to take a chance and I hope that I end up with one that will be trouble free.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
It is still in limbo. Nobody can completely confirm what the restriction is or how long it will be in that status. That is the frustrating part. Just tell me either way that I either need to change models, or options, or that everything is fine. Dealer just says that they are looking into it and will let me know when they find something out.

Calling customer service on my own didn't get me very far either. Said they would need to do some research to find out what the restriction is. That is when they also told me the crap that spawned this whole crappy thread.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I'm in the same boat as a few others on here and I can understand cgocifier's reluctance as I just put an order in this past Saturday for a ED Outdoorsman. These threads also make me a little nervous as I have never owned a diesel before and know that most are usually trouble free for many miles. I will not be one who puts lots of miles on mine as I don't have a long commute and this will not be my daily driver. My last Chrysler Truck product was a 92 Dakota. It had a bad transfer case bearing from the factory and I had to fight with Chrysler and their antics to get it fixed. In the end the dealer I bought it from stepped up to the plate and proved to Chrysler that there was an issue. At the time I swore I would never own another. I ended up just recently selling it so it was trouble free after the initial issue I have since had a 01 Neon a 04 Liberty.

All in all with the unique vehicle I'm willing to take a chance and I hope that I end up with one that will be trouble free.
Did you order the quad cab or crew cab? Did your order sheet come out with 28T highlighted as RESTRICTED on it like mine?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Ok, what would you like to know?

DS6H41 - 1500 SLT Quad Cab 4x4 (140 inch WB 6FT 4IN box)
28T - Customer preferred package - RESTRICTED
EXF - 3.0L Turbo Diesel
DFD - 8 Speed auto 8HP70 trans
PW7 - Bright White
APA - Monotone paint
MJ - Premium cloth seats
X8 - Black/Diesel Gray
NHK - Engine block heater
AP1 - Monotone Outdoorsman
AHC - Trailer Tow Mirrors and Brake group
AMV - Rear camera and park assist group
WHN - 20x8 semi-gloss black wheels
DMD - 3.55 axle ratio
SER - Air suspension, 4-corner
This is what mine said after I put the deposit down and they printed out the order sheet.

·
Administrator
4,550 Posts
It is still in limbo. Nobody can completely confirm what the restriction is or how long it will be in that status. That is the frustrating part. Just tell me either way that I either need to change models, or options, or that everything is fine. Dealer just says that they are looking into it and will let me know when they find something out.

Calling customer service on my own didn't get me very far either. Said they would need to do some research to find out what the restriction is. That is when they also told me the crap that spawned this whole crappy thread.
So it is not an accepted order or what is referred to as a sold order, which would appear on your document from the dealer, so you do not have a VON or VIN, which means Ram Customer Service would have no record to look at your order hence no status. Is there another dealer in your area you can call to discuss your build and gauge their response?

·
Super Moderator
2,568 Posts
Did you order the quad cab or crew cab? Did your order sheet come out with 28T highlighted as RESTRICTED on it like mine?
I ordered the Outdoorsman ED Quad cab

The build sheet indeed has the restricted color on the line for Outdoorsman
I also have a build sheet for a Big Horn from another dealer from a month or so ago that has RESTRICTED on the line for Big Horn so I'm not sure what that really means if anything.
I am still waiting on the dealer to contact me with the order info..

·
Banned
272 Posts
I would ask SPP on RamfourmZ what is going on. He tracks new builds for people that have ordered. He works for them and may have some ideas that he can share.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Correct, customer service asked me for a VON but I didn't have one. I just asked them why 28T is restricted. I read them the sheet and they said they didn't know but would look into it...

Hmmm the Big Horn too? Hmmm

I did talk to other dealers hence my other posts on the forum. One told me they all get flagged until allocations start again towards the 12th of each month. Another dealer told me it was a supply issue for the diesel and that they don't have the inventory. A third dealer told me they can get whatever I want because they have special priority for being top ram dealer in the country... Lol I don't know. Still waiting to hear back from primary dealer.

·
Super Moderator
2,568 Posts
Correct, customer service asked me for a VON but I didn't have one. I just asked them why 28T is restricted. I read them the sheet and they said they didn't know but would look into it...

Hmmm the Big Horn too? Hmmm

I did talk to other dealers hence my other posts on the forum. One told me they all get flagged until allocations start again towards the 12th of each month. Another dealer told me it was a supply issue for the diesel and that they don't have the inventory. A third dealer told me they can get whatever I want because they have special priority for being top ram dealer in the country... Lol I don't know. Still waiting to hear back from primary dealer.
Well there are two things in common on these build sheets, The ED Engine and both were done near the end of the month??????

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
The reason they don't do lifetime warranties on diesels is because although they will run a very long time, after about 100-150k miles they're going to need an overhaul (possible items being injectors, head bolts, fuel pump, gaskets, etc) that would essentially guarantee Chrysler loses money on a $3,000 lifetime service contract. Once gas engines hit 150k miles or so people usually just scrap them because they start to run like sh*t and fall apart.
Really? My old F-150 has nearly 190,000 HARD miles on it. Most every car I've owned went over 150,000 miles & some are still going strong today (5 yrs later)!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Really? My old F-150 has nearly 190,000 HARD miles on it. Most every car I've owned went over 150,000 miles & some are still going strong today (5 yrs later)!
In general what I said is true. Most people don't take care of their vehicles other than occasionally remembering to change the oil. You obviously are someone with an interest in cars/trucks as evidence by being on an automotive forum, so you're more the exception than the rule. Your average person drives their gasser into the ground for 150k miles or less then dumps it.

Also, lifetime warranties usually aren't transferrable and a good amount of gasser owners aren't going to keep their cars for 100k+ miles. Diesel owners are known for being high mileage, long time owners so there's more likelihood of having to honor a lifetime warranty well into where it gets expensive.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Just a general plea - everyone stay calm, or calm the hell down, or don't get amped up - depends entirely on where you are on the curve when you read this. ;)

Opinions - everyone is entitled. It's rarely a personal attack.

Now, for the OP.

I'm in the camp of "the employee is clueless". Extended warranties don't cover the Cummins products, but, ah...mine coves my EcoDiesel. just because someone works "for a company" doesn't mean they actually have any answers.

Here's an example...

I, and many others, work for Bing.

People bump into coworkers of mine all the time at conferences and want to know how to rank their websites better in our results. The person they are talking to has literally no idea - as they work on the user experience testing for one specific feature. But hey, to those outside the company, if you "work at Bing" you must know how to rank things better.

The trick is, as always, to ask the right people... ;)

Please understand, I don't mean this to sound like YOU don't understand this point of view, as I'm sure you do. But geez, we see this all the time. "Someone with a RAM hoodie told me they were going to stop selling trucks and start selling groceries! Who'll fix my truck now?!"

...and that can wear on people after a while. ;)

duane

·
Registered
13,522 Posts
WOW!

Took my wife to see American Sniper and got home to more "sniping".

If there is a better diesel in a 1/2 ton pickup, I say buy it.

Loved my Cummins. As for my Duramax - here';s a picture of it as I DROVE IT. Owned it for just under 3 years. After the warranty expired I spent around $12,000 out-of-my-pocket to keep it running. Major breakdowns all over the country cost me literally a month of motels and down time.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
WOW!

Took my wife to see American Sniper and got home to more "sniping".

If there is a better diesel in a 1/2 ton pickup, I say buy it.

Loved my Cummins. As for my Duramax - here';s a picture of it as I DROVE IT. Owned it for just under 3 years. After the warranty expired I spent around $12,000 out-of-my-pocket to keep it running. Major breakdowns all over the country cost me literally a month of motels and down time.

I guess I don't feel as bad now, Capt. I spent about !0K on mine, but after that it seems to be reliable. Was it not under warranty?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I don't consider it trolling to post comments from sources like that. But it seems obvious that employee wasn't working in an official capacity representing Chrysler. Very possible he didn't know what he was talking about. This is a data observation of 1, and considering the unofficial source, the problem is making a definitive statement.

Everyone is free to rationalize their own choice and share that experience. Just seems to go a tad bit far hoping people make the same conclusion based on one data observation. The many smart people on this forum know better.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Just a general plea - everyone stay calm, or calm the hell down, or don't get amped up - depends entirely on where you are on the curve when you read this. ;)

Opinions - everyone is entitled. It's rarely a personal attack.

Now, for the OP.

I'm in the camp of "the employee is clueless". Extended warranties don't cover the Cummins products, but, ah...mine coves my EcoDiesel. just because someone works "for a company" doesn't mean they actually have any answers.

Here's an example...

I, and many others, work for Bing.

People bump into coworkers of mine all the time at conferences and want to know how to rank their websites better in our results. The person they are talking to has literally no idea - as they work on the user experience testing for one specific feature. But hey, to those outside the company, if you "work at Bing" you must know how to rank things better.

The trick is, as always, to ask the right people... ;)

Please understand, I don't mean this to sound like YOU don't understand this point of view, as I'm sure you do. But geez, we see this all the time. "Someone with a RAM hoodie told me they were going to stop selling trucks and start selling groceries! Who'll fix my truck now?!"

...and that can wear on people after a while. ;)

duane
All true and I did take the comments with a grain of salt. Just thought it was ridiculous and a bit of a shock to hear that explanation instead of just saying we don't provide lifetime warranties on any diesel, or similar. I am an engineer and I know diesel engines which is why I want one; but it was kind of funny to hear an obviously uninformed cust rep explain to me that the diesel in question is not as long living as a gas engine...

If you re read the post you will see the sarcasm and absurdity of the whole thing. As I was saying, IF TRUE and coupled with the horror stories of blown engines, buy backs, numerous days in the shop, and etc., then I really need to rethink this ED idea.

OK, that horse is dead. I already said my order is in and still pending... Moving on.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Yeah both mine and his are eco diesel quad cab outdoorsmans ordered at the end of the month. Perhaps it is just an end of month allocation issue...? Will find out one way or another. Just hope sooner rather than later. Dealer told me it took 3 months last time they ordered a truck. Depends on where you live though because I've seen other threads where folks got them in as little as 5 weeks.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
If you re read the post you will see the sarcasm and absurdity of the whole thing.
Absurdity is obvious to me, sarcasm, ah...not so much. :(

If I may...

I'm going to suggest the use of emoticons - the little "smileys". MUCH clearer to people. :cool: I'm a writer (2 books, third on the way) so I've been beaten up a bunch of times by editors, and one common theme? If I have to explain what I meant to the reader after the fact, I failed in the first place. Drives me nuts, because I like to *assume* my reader is an educated, clued I person. ;) Sigh...

Sarcasm works well when spoken, at least MOST people can pick up on it. When written, it requires a move obvious effort to get it across.

What I saw was an angry smiley on the title, one double exclamation and an "uhg" - now, to take this entire thing to it's logical conclusion, I'm going to write a Yelp review of that post and submit it for ratings on Rotten Tomatoes... :p

41 - 60 of 100 Posts