RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
This forum is obviously fairly immature. As is the case more often than not, folks jump right to conclusions and jump on the OP thinking there is trolling going on and bashing of a beloved brand and vehicle.

Nope, not the intent. The intent was to hopefully hear opinions of the information I was passed in hopes that the overwhelming response would be that the info was crap and not substantiated. Instead, I get bashed. Lol

As to the comment about going back to ford... Well, I unlike many and apparently many of you, I really don't give a crap about any particular brand. However, I have been happy and proud to once again have pride in American car companies.

Just FYI, I used to be a proud owner of a 2005 Chrysler SRT6 crossfire and was an advocate when nobody wanted anything to do with Chrysler. I curreny own a '13 300S, a '13 Explorer, a 1996 F150, and a '65 Chevelle with a 2008 Corvette engine. So, I have all three brands covered thank you.

Disgruntled that I can't get the truck I want? Not really; disappointed? A little bit. Have I cancelled my order due to the red flags and info? Nope. Still want it...

For the warranty stuff, great, I actually learned something. Didn't know that. Makes sense. Diesels are more expensive to maintain indeed. Good to know there are extended warranties available though even for the diesel.

Thought this would be a good exchange of info about what others have heard, thought, experienced, but that failed. Guess its only roses and happy sunsets around here that people want to discuss... Cheers
Well I guess it's the all in the way you present yourself and your post. Had you come here and ASKED these questions and not presented them as facts you would have been welcomed with open arms. Do a test would you, copy everything you posted here except change it to read F-250 Powerstroke and post it at a Ford Powerstroke Forum then let us know how they react could you.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just like the man who jumped off a 75 story building and as he passed each window he was heard saying "so far so good".

Small expectations, small let downs. Big expectations...well you get the point.

My truck works as advertised. Time will tell

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
Well I guess it's the all in the way you present yourself and your post. Had you come here and ASKED these questions and not presented them as facts you would have been welcomed with open arms. Do a test would you, copy everything you posted here except change it to read F-250 Powerstroke and post it at a Ford Powerstroke Forum then let us know how they react could you.
Facts? Nothing about my post said anything about facts. It said, this is what was told to me, this is what others are saying. Never did I say, the ecodiesel and ram trucks are $hit, I am an expert and this is why they are $hit. I said IF what was told to me is true, then... :rolleyes:

How in the hell do you read someone from a post on an internet forum? Everyone is going to get a different impression, not everyone is going to share the same opinion. You have no idea who I am or what I am about. If you did, you probably wouldn't jump on my a$$ and take things out of context. I am the kind of guy who goes out of his way to help others and have sacrificed more than you know for others, but one post that has some negative sounding verbiage about a darn truck and BAM! Troll, A-hole, etc. :confused:

I apologize that I offended all of you and your trucks. There, done, my bad... moving on. :rolleyes:

People are too damn sensitive and always seem to look for a fight. Whatever, waste of time arguing on the internet. lol

Ok, back to waiting for my crappy, POS, waste of money RAM Ecodiesel that I think is so crappy that I want to shell out nearly 50 grand for. :p

See? Sarcasm folks.:p

There, emoticons...;)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
Definitely done with this now. Someone has no clue as to why.
Apparently the dealerships don't know for sure. None could give a definitive answer about the restriction. Maybe this, maybe that. Just said to hold tight and would get back to me as soon as they know something. Said could be a couple weeks or month but that the order review takes a while. Maybe so, just figured they would know what the restriction is for. I once ordered an Infiniti G35 and had a VON in 2 days. Took 3 months to get the car here, but it came from Japan. Standing by, just impatient I guess; especially with that Restricted flag and the fact that they weren't sure if I could get the air suspension with that particular build out. Just sucks to have to wait to find out if the build is even possible. I just figured that the dealers would know what could and could not be ordered.

Noticed your signature. So, what is your story with the Outdoorsman and the plan B?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Facts? Nothing about my post said anything about facts. It said, this is what was told to me, this is what others are saying. Never did I say, the ecodiesel and ram trucks are $hit, I am an expert and this is why they are $hit. I said IF what was told to me is true, then... :rolleyes:

How in the hell do you read someone from a post on an internet forum? Everyone is going to get a different impression, not everyone is going to share the same opinion. You have no idea who I am or what I am about. If you did, you probably wouldn't jump on my a$$ and take things out of context. I am the kind of guy who goes out of his way to help others and have sacrificed more than you know for others, but one post that has some negative sounding verbiage about a darn truck and BAM! Troll, A-hole, etc. :confused:

I apologize that I offended all of you and your trucks. There, done, my bad... moving on. :rolleyes:

People are too damn sensitive and always seem to look for a fight. Whatever, waste of time arguing on the internet. lol

Ok, back to waiting for my crappy, POS, waste of money RAM Ecodiesel that I think is so crappy that I want to shell out nearly 50 grand for. :p

See? Sarcasm folks.:p

There, emoticons...;)
Epic. Comeback. :) (no sarcasm, all respect)

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Yeah both mine and his are eco diesel quad cab outdoorsmans ordered at the end of the month. Perhaps it is just an end of month allocation issue...? Will find out one way or another. Just hope sooner rather than later. Dealer told me it took 3 months last time they ordered a truck. Depends on where you live though because I've seen other threads where folks got them in as little as 5 weeks.
The hold up is the engine, there is only one plant building them and they are working to pump out as many engines as they can. This engine goes in a lot of other FCA vehicles not just the Ram and Jeep. FCA had no idea it would take off like it did, remember the very first allotment in 2014 sold out in just three days 8000 units! This thing turned out to be a nightmare albeit a good one for FCA. But when you speed up any process you WILL end up with issues getting out the door.

Why a quad cab, I know where there is a Outdoorsman ED crewcab loaded with the air suspension sitting on a lot right now.
New New 2015 Ram 1500 For Sale | Bowling Green OH | 1C6RR7LM2FS500203
Nice truck, almost was mine until the Laramie came in a week later. I ordered my truck/trucks the one above on August 8 th and the Laramie in Sept. They didn't show up until December!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Apparently the dealerships don't know for sure. None could give a definitive answer about the restriction. Maybe this, maybe that. Just said to hold tight and would get back to me as soon as they know something. Said could be a couple weeks or month but that the order review takes a while. Maybe so, just figured they would know what the restriction is for. I once ordered an Infiniti G35 and had a VON in 2 days. Took 3 months to get the car here, but it came from Japan. Standing by, just impatient I guess; especially with that Restricted flag and the fact that they weren't sure if I could get the air suspension with that particular build out. Just sucks to have to wait to find out if the build is even possible. I just figured that the dealers would know what could and could not be ordered.

Noticed your signature. So, what is your story with the Outdoorsman and the plan B?
i know what a PIA this can be. Many others here have also had the same pains while trying to place a sold order. It is nothing new. But most of us kept trying until we where able to get at least something very close to what we wished for. I encourage you to do the same.

The lack of good information coming from Ram regarding availability of ED's in trim levels with certain options is also not new. It would be trivial for Ram to offer this information on a web page. For what ever reason they do not. Almost a year ago, folks (upper / mid level managers) at Ram that should have the answers about ordering and restrictions on the new 1500 ED could not give me a answer as to why I had to purchase my Outdoorsman with 20' wheels and tires and bucket seats. I wanted 17" wheels/tires and a bench seat. Sometime late last summer those restrictions where lifted.

I wish you luck in getting your questions answered so you can make a informed decision. Some sales folks really do not have a clue. So if you get a gut feeling that what you are being told is not right, ask someone else. I understand that was the point of you starting this thread.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I too had trepidations. I had a truck on the dealers lot and was ready to pull the trigger. I currently own a 2013 Ram 2500 CTD. Love the truck just a little to big. I've decided to wait and see how the trucks fair. Love the idea and wish everyone good luck!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
The hold up is the engine, there is only one plant building them and they are working to pump out as many engines as they can. This engine goes in a lot of other FCA vehicles not just the Ram and Jeep. FCA had no idea it would take off like it did, remember the very first allotment in 2014 sold out in just three days 8000 units! This thing turned out to be a nightmare albeit a good one for FCA. But when you speed up any process you WILL end up with issues getting out the door.

Why a quad cab, I know where there is a Outdoorsman ED crewcab loaded with the air suspension sitting on a lot right now.
New New 2015 Ram 1500 For Sale | Bowling Green OH | 1C6RR7LM2FS500203
Nice truck, almost was mine until the Laramie came in a week later. I ordered my truck/trucks the one above on August 8 th and the Laramie in Sept. They didn't show up until December!
I talked about the quad cab in another thread, but basically, I want as large of a bed as I can get without the truck being too long (crew cab + long bed). I have to drive this thing in the city, and the shorter, the better. But, I still want to carry passengers when necessary. Other things: the crew cabs are slightly heavier and have slightly lower tow ratings. I will occasionally tow a 24' enclosed car trailer with a 2500 lb custom car in it, so I need as much towing capacity as possible. Yes, I know these things will tow beyond what they are rated for, but I'd rather play it safe. Also, the crew cabs are close to 3 grand more. I'm already pushing $50 grand with the truck optioned the way I want it.

Will see what happens. I'm giving it a couple weeks before I decide to continue to wait or just go with something on the lot.

·
Registered
103 Posts
...I asked about the extended lifetime warranty and why it apparently excludes the Diesel. The answer in a nutshell is that the Diesel is expensive to repair and has a shorter lifespan than the gas engines. ...
The reason they don't do lifetime warranties on diesels is because although they will run a very long time, after about 100-150k miles they're going to need an overhaul (possible items being injectors, head bolts, fuel pump, gaskets, etc) that would essentially guarantee Chrysler loses money on a $3,000 lifetime service contract. Once gas engines hit 150k miles or so people usually just scrap them because they start to run like sh*t and fall apart.
First off, "lifetime warranty"? I have never heard of any company, offering a lifetime warranty on any vehicle in Canada. So it's either Canadians getting screwed again or someone is making something up...

Next, sorry if someone has already said this but it's a long thread and I don't have time to read through all the comments...

But, I would say the reason Chrysler does not offer a lifetime warranty (if it even exists) on the 3D is not because of it's short longevity but rather the opposite. Any engine that lasts a long time likely means the vehicle it's in will be on the road for a long time. The longer a vehicle is on the road, the more likely other things will need repair just from wearing out from normal use. If they aren't offering lifetime on the 3D, it's because they know these trucks will be around for a long time and it will cost them too much. 200,000 kms on a hemi vs 400,000 on a diesel = higher cost of lifetime warranty for the diesel.

·
Registered
610 Posts
First off, "lifetime warranty"? I have never heard of any company, offering a lifetime warranty on any vehicle in Canada. So it's either Canadians getting screwed again or someone is making something up...

Next, sorry if someone has already said this but it's a long thread and I don't have time to read through all the comments...

But, I would say the reason Chrysler does not offer a lifetime warranty (if it even exists) on the 3D is not because of it's short longevity but rather the opposite. Any engine that lasts a long time likely means the vehicle it's in will be on the road for a long time. The longer a vehicle is on the road, the more likely other things will need repair just from wearing out from normal use. If they aren't offering lifetime on the 3D, it's because they know these trucks will be around for a long time and it will cost them too much. 200,000 kms on a hemi vs 400,000 on a diesel = higher cost of lifetime warranty for the diesel.
I have. SOME Ford dealerships in MB oFfer a Lifetime Powertrain warranty on new vehicles, with the Caveat being ALL SERVICE has to be done at that dealership, and they follow the dealerships maintenance schedule, not FORDS. As an example, change and flush cooling system every 10k, km, change brake fluid ever 15k km, change oil every 5k km using only Ford branded oil @ $13-22/L, ect ect.
If you miss, or late, or going to a different dealership for service, your lifetime warranty is voided.
Last I checked, wasn't available on any of fords diesels.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

N

·
0 Posts
100,000 mile warranty on the drivetrain I believe, or 5 years... there's your sign. Going to be a lot of these trucks for sale used with just under or over 100 k miles in year or two.

·
Administrator
4,550 Posts

So thought I would try to help you when I suggested you query other dealers. Waiting and not being proactive makes little sense to me. So I spoke to my Fleet Mgr today and asked about your restriction he said they see it too but does not prevent an order being placed in the system. In fact a sold order which means a 500 buck deposit from you or 1K depending on the dealer takes priority over dealer orders at the factory. So when a truck group is assigned to be built at factory you are at the head of the line. Factory has to accept that order for von or vin to be assigned but being in the system as a sold order counts. He said this Friday would be a good day to get it in.

My story is in the threads and really not relevant except my 2015 ED 4X4 Outdoorsman was delayed a firm build date by a well documented 17 inch tire shortage. Ordered 8/12 factory accepted same day had von and vin within 2 days and no firm build date until around Thanksgiving. Found 4 dealer ordered trucks 3 on lot and one in transit late October. The one in transit met all requirements except it was a step up in trim. With incentives only 2K more than my 2015 order so it was a no brainer, Spp tracked Plan A and then Plan B in transit. We picked up Plan B 11/1. Plan A was finally built the first week in December long after all my friends on here received their trucks in September and October. Plan A arrived at dealer after Christmas and sold within 2 weeks. Plan B turned out just fine.
I wish you luck but encourage you to take what you are being told lightly, do the research, build 8 trucks on Ram's website that's free. I did it and told two local dealers to pound it because they were incapable of placing an order. Let us know how it turns out.:)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Thanks Man,

That is interesting info for sure. I put the $1000 deposit down before I left the dealership. They actually cashed the check today which I thought was odd. The invoice they gave me has a hand written note that says Factory Order...

They said it is in the system and just waiting to hear from Chrysler whether or not it is accepted, or approved, or something like that.

I've read through other posts and talked to other guys on here who have the same flag, so I guess the dealer's assumption that it is due to being the end of the month may actually be the reason.

Any idea how long it generally takes to hear back from the factory on whether or not the order has been accepted? It's only been a few days.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I have. SOME Ford dealerships in MB oFfer a Lifetime Powertrain warranty on new vehicles, with the Caveat being ALL SERVICE has to be done at that dealership, and they follow the dealerships maintenance schedule, not FORDS. As an example, change and flush cooling system every 10k, km, change brake fluid ever 15k km, change oil every 5k km using only Ford branded oil @ $13-22/L, ect ect.
If you miss, or late, or going to a different dealership for service, your lifetime warranty is voided.
Last I checked, wasn't available on any of fords diesels.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
Yes, my last new truck was an F150 and the dealership offered a lifetime powertrain warranty as long as you had all maintenance performed at their dealership.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
100,000 mile warranty on the drivetrain I believe, or 5 years... there's your sign. Going to be a lot of these trucks for sale used with just under or over 100 k miles in year or two.
Yup, Mine will be one. I paid $1200 for the 5 year 100,000 mile $100 deductible Chrysler extended warranty and $295 for 8 oil changes in 5 years so will be selling or trading at about 4 years. Thanks goodness Shawn and a few others will have more miles by then and the engines will have a reputation, which I believe(not know) will be good.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Dangermouse Chrysler and now FCA has offered and still offers a Lifetime warranty through Mopar but not on any diesel powered vehicles. If you are going to keep your vehicle for a long time it might be something to look at. I bought the 8 year 125,000 mile bumper to bumper coverage the longest you can get for a diesel powered vehicle through FCA. The only thing it does not cover is wear and tear items.
MOPAR Vehicle Protection | Extended Warranty | Chrysler Group LLC.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Yes, my last new truck was an F150 and the dealership offered a lifetime powertrain warranty as long as you had all maintenance performed at their dealership.
The Dodge dealer I purchase mine at does this as well at no cost. My power train is covered for the life of my ownership as long as it is serviced there. Parts are also lifetime if I pay to have one replaced and it fails again, it is always free after the first replacement. Pretty awesome program these days!

61 - 80 of 100 Posts