RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I had an Amsoil bypass system on my Cummins. I would probably go back with Amsoil if there was a kit made for the EcoDiesel. I like the Insane Diesel kit for its simplicity. I don't like that Insane Diesel pulls some oil away before it goes through the full flow filter. In theory, there's less oil pressure going to the engine. Maybe @Brokedownbutgood can give his opinion on this.

oil filter cap has a very small hole for oil to travel through so oil pressure not a problem . amsoil bypass filter is a little more work to install but you can have it installed by mechanic and still save money compared to insane diesel.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
oil filter cap has a very small hole for oil to travel through so oil pressure not a problem . amsoil bypass filter is a little more work to install but you can have it installed by mechanic and still save money compared to insane diesel.
also you can buy only the filler cap from insane diesel and use amsoil bypass filter.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Here’s anouther way
I've been thinking about switching to Amsoil engine oil in my 2015. I'm still using Rotella T6. I run Amsoil in the front and rear differentials, though. I'm also using Amsoil ATF in the transmission. I do a lot of towing and short commutes, so I try to change the oil every 7 month/5,000 miles, whichever comes first.

I will be switching from Pennzoil to Amsoil in my 2020 EcoDiesel after I use up the rest of my supply. I'll change the oil in that every 12 months/8,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Reactions: VernDiesel and djr

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 4x4 Bighorn CC/SB EcoDiesel
118 Posts
My neighbor is an Amsoil dealer, as well as selling Interstate batteries and running a trucking company, and other endeavors. He's been trying to sign me up as a dealer as well, so far I've been able to avoid that commitment. In the meantime he'll happily sell me all the Amsoil fluids I want at his costs.

·
Registered
2018 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew cab 4X4 3.0L Ecodiesel
28 Posts
installed the Bypass oil filter from Insane Diesel using the tee fitting to take oil from the sensor port just below the full flow filter and the under hood bracket with some modifications.
First the bracket Insane supplied for the under hood mount is too tall and places the cap of the bypass filter into the hood insulation, so I took it to a local machine shop to lower the bracket
Wood Ladder Eye glass accessory Eyewear Personal protective equipment

Second the tee fitting provided is crap: it's a basically a brass cube 9/16" wide. so your first instinct is pre assemble the fitting with L for the pressure hose. but you can't because there isn't enough clearance between the lower temperature switch sensor below and the filter housing casting above to turn the assembled piece. The best way to access this port is by removing the driver's side front wheel and wheel well liner. but it's still extremely difficult to get a wrench on a cube in that space. Then you have to position the lower portion of the tee just right basically from the 4 o'clock to 5 o'clock position so there is enough clearance to install the 'L' fitting ( part 'f' in their instructions) the whole thing is a drag to get tightened properly because of the difficult access . I wouldn't recommend this installation enormous PIA
Wheel Product Automotive tire Tire Font

Automotive fuel system Engineering Auto part Machine Font

Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Black

all the hoses are routed under the fuse box/ battery box and the adjacent electrical umbilical. with the modified bracket the filter sits a little better.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle door Rim

Tested the system and had to adjust Temp sensor and the top of the filter for tightness as it did leak when I ran the system up to 70 psi but once everything was certified leak free I tightened all the mounts and zipped the oil lines in place. Fingers crossed and a few hail Mary's and hopefully the system works as advertised and no issues crop up. No codes so far.video of the install

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
installed the Bypass oil filter from Insane Diesel using the tee fitting to take oil from the sensor port just below the full flow filter and the under hood bracket with some modifications.
First the bracket Insane supplied for the under hood mount is too tall and places the cap of the bypass filter into the hood insulation, so I took it to a local machine shop to lower the bracket View attachment 92088
Second the tee fitting provided is crap: it's a basically a brass cube 9/16" wide. so your first instinct is pre assemble the fitting with L for the pressure hose. but you can't because there isn't enough clearance between the lower temperature switch sensor below and the filter housing casting above to turn the assembled piece. The best way to access this port is by removing the driver's side front wheel and wheel well liner. but it's still extremely difficult to get a wrench on a cube in that space. Then you have to position the lower portion of the tee just right basically from the 4 o'clock to 5 o'clock position so there is enough clearance to install the 'L' fitting ( part 'f' in their instructions) the whole thing is a drag to get tightened properly because of the difficult access . I wouldn't recommend this installation enormous PIA
View attachment 92093

View attachment 92094

View attachment 92089

all the hoses are routed under the fuse box/ battery box and the adjacent electrical umbilical. with the modified bracket the filter sits a little better.
View attachment 92090

View attachment 92091

View attachment 92092

Tested the system and had to adjust Temp sensor and the top of the filter for tightness as it did leak when I ran the system up to 70 psi but once everything was certified leak free I tightened all the mounts and zipped the oil lines in place. Fingers crossed and a few hail Mary's and hopefully the system works as advertised and no issues crop up. No codes so far.video of the install
I had the same problem with the filter hitting top the of hood . I called insane diesel and they sent me one that is like yours. straight across,

21 - 29 of 29 Posts