RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever get good information regarding the Ecodiesel main bearing failure ?? I'm curious as to what is causing this to happen ? I have read plenty of theories I'm starting to think these engines are experiencing bearing creep an issue where the bearing starts to rotate gradually until the oil feed hole is going out of register and the bearing is starved of oil. FCA is seems to be secretive about this just replacing the engine with no diagnosis feed back. It's impossible to actually point to any definite cause without oil testing and actually examining bearings from the failed engine. Does anybody happen to know if the part number from the rod and main bearings has changed over the years ? Thanks for any info and thoughts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
This has been discussed over and over to no avail. No info has been released on what is actually causing the problems. Part numbers might give a clue but wouldn't be proof of the cause of failures. Spun bearings has been one of the theories from the beginning......:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm still going with fuel dilution in the engine oil. Caused by frequent regen cycles combined with short trips not allowing the engine oil to reach a high enough temp to burn the fuel.
oil analysis would help but the change oil message is supposed to be activated if the fuel level hits 2% and 2% is not considered terribly serious as I understand this. Oil analysis would also be good because I think it might be a good idea to eliminate anti-freeze contamination which should show up on your oil analysis as High Sodium. I was fleet manager for several trucking companies when we got oil sample alerts for High Sodium it was pretty much guaranteed the EGR cooler was leaking, I returned the original Cummins EGR coolers for warranty practically by the fork lift skid.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I'm still going with fuel dilution in the engine oil. Caused by frequent regen cycles combined with short trips not allowing the engine oil to reach a high enough temp to burn the fuel.
Still not supported by oil analysis nor reported driving habits of owners.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Sorry, but how is the OLM supposed to determine fuel dilution? I read a pile of the tests posted on this forum with emissions intact vehicles. Fuel and soot are quite low, nothing to back up the claim. I wonder if the bearing clearances/surface area were just not conducive to using a 30 weight, hence the switch to 40 but again, some people were posting tests on the 30 with good numbers. As well diesel oil does not really evaporate off like distillates so it hangs around much longer.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I know our oil pressure gauge is not very accurate, but when I see 18 psi at hot idle, makes me think I'm driving a Chevy. My hemi Ram runs much higher and my Lombardini diesel powered Arctic Cat typically runs way higher oil pressure, like 85 psi cold idle and 35-40 psi hot idle. Also, has anyone heard of failures in Europe of this motor? Believe it's used in some Maseratis and Alfas. I let a Dutch guy drive my Ram yesterday, he claims this motor is held in high regard in EU....

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I don't believe it is oil dilution, several of the failures have occurred from people who drive long stretches and tow often and were towing when the failure occurred. Also don't think we have seen a high fuel dilution analysis yet.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I know our oil pressure gauge is not very accurate, but when I see 18 psi at hot idle, makes me think I'm driving a Chevy. My hemi Ram runs much higher and my Lombardini diesel powered Arctic Cat typically runs way higher oil pressure, like 85 psi cold idle and 35-40 psi hot idle. Also, has anyone heard of failures in Europe of this motor? Believe it's used in some Maseratis and Alfas. I let a Dutch guy drive my Ram yesterday, he claims this motor is held in high regard in EU....
VM is no joke in Europe. Very well respected.

·
Registered
772 Posts
The VM 2.8 has been installed in many platforms and has a very good reputation. The little Liberty CRD was and is a good little diesel. The JK wrangler was outfitted with the 2.8 and exported all over the world. Would love to get my hands on one of those. The Colorado/Canyon sports the the 2.8.

It was the great reputation of the VM 2.8 that prompted me to buy the Ram with the 3.0. So, far its rep is good with me and I have had no problems to speak of. It is troubling that as many as 4-5% of ED owners have had engine problems; however, that means 95% have not. If I were told there was a 95% chance I would win, survive, live, etc at anything, I would feel comfortable with those odds.

Fuel dilution, EGR soot saturation, EGR water leaks into the intake, poor QC have all received blame and speculation. In most failures it appears there was no prior warning exhibited from performance or oil analysis. Mum is the word from VM and FCA and I just bet they don't really know. Someone once mentioned it was drunk or disgruntled employees sabotaging engines during assembly. That makes as much sense as any other speculations.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts