RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 133 Posts

·
Administrator
4,550 Posts
Mine was 46k miles trouble free until yesterday. It went on a flat bed to an unknown dealer about 100 miles from home. Its been running a bit rough on cold start for about a month. Goes away in about 2 miles. Thursday had an oil change and fuel filter from local dealer. Noticed cooling fan came on in driveway. Yesterday fan was on a lot and I knew we were in trouble. No CEL. Just the temp gauge redlined. I let it idle for an hour waiting for the tow hoping it would blow but it didn't. Temps held at 228 at idle and fan screaming. Any thing in drive even crawling and above 240 and climbing.We did smell antifreeze and low in the degas bottle but pink.

So we will see. EGR? Wrong oil? Head gasket?
Pics or it did not happen...got a prob with that? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
0616182106.jpg

No I don't care but this atmosphere of guilty till proven innocent is getting ridiculous.

·
Registered
28 Posts
45k total miles, only oil & filter at 7500 intervals, and fuel filter at 20k intervals. No CELs. Normal DEF usage of about 10k/tankful.

Bone stock. Only customizing has been bed liner, tonneau cover, and tires: BFG KO2 replacing GY SRAs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm at 181,000 now and the only out of pocket repairs non routine maintenance to date are both front hub bearings, battery, & radiator. Early on I had some code issues that the SCR campaign fixed, otherwise this thing is as close to bulletproof and any vehicle I've ever owned. My plan is to keep it until the Michigan salt gets to it and ruins it's good looks!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Every time I read a thread like this it still baffles me that one guy goes well beyond 100k miles on the original engine, and the next guy is on his 2nd or 3rd engine before 100k. Both appear to have followed the same maintenance schedule. I know the general consensus is QA issues during assembly, but there is a part of me that thinks RAM would have addressed this long ago. There was the change to different oil recommendations by RAM, but then there are guys like Dave F that continue to go well beyond 100k on the original spec oil. I still think its gotta be something other than just luck of the draw....especially since some guys have gone through multiple engines. I live in the same area as TC_Diesel and the couple times I spoke with him he went out of his way to emphasize that working this engine when its cold was a big no-no. He said you gotta go easy on the pedal on a cold engine. Its hard to compare, but have we ever discussed driving styles? Lead footed vs. light footed?

Last of all....I'm totally amazed that RAM has been able to keep this such a tight secret for so long. I know we saw some emails about lubrication etc, but in the end there has to be a fairly large audience between RAM and VM Motori that know exactly what the problem is. I truly feel bad for those that have had engine failures, but until something happens with mine, I'll continue to love driving it.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
A question for all. What do you think would happen if the dealer accidentally put in 5w20 oil for the hemi instead of 5w40?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Yes, they put 5w20 into the eco diesel by mistake. Sorry to be confusing.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Every time I read a thread like this it still baffles me that one guy goes well beyond 100k miles on the original engine, and the next guy is on his 2nd or 3rd engine before 100k. Both appear to have followed the same maintenance schedule. I know the general consensus is QA issues during assembly, but there is a part of me that thinks RAM would have addressed this long ago. There was the change to different oil recommendations by RAM, but then there are guys like Dave F that continue to go well beyond 100k on the original spec oil. I still think its gotta be something other than just luck of the draw....especially since some guys have gone through multiple engines. I live in the same area as TC_Diesel and the couple times I spoke with him he went out of his way to emphasize that working this engine when its cold was a big no-no. He said you gotta go easy on the pedal on a cold engine. Its hard to compare, but have we ever discussed driving styles? Lead footed vs. light footed?

Last of all....I'm totally amazed that RAM has been able to keep this such a tight secret for so long. I know we saw some emails about lubrication etc, but in the end there has to be a fairly large audience between RAM and VM Motori that know exactly what the problem is. I truly feel bad for those that have had engine failures, but until something happens with mine, I'll continue to love driving it.

This stuff has crossed my mind as well. It has amazed me that some people would have such bad luck as to get a second bad engine and actually end up blowing 2 of them. I guess anything is possible. In my case I tend to baby the throttle, particularly in cold weather or whenever it's not fully warmed up. I also tend to ignore all the macho "it's a diesel, so if you don't work it hard enough you're going to have problems" blather. The way I see it it's a small engine that was originally designed for a car, so pushing around a half ton truck and/or towing a relatively light trailer is enough work for it. I have a fair amount of highway miles on my '14 mixed in with what could be considered too many short trips. Because I've been concerned about the short trips in the past I have tended to take it really easy on those. I also figure one might as well baby it and try to get the best mileage possible. Approaching 50K with no issues, I'm in the light footed category.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I do not have many miles on MY 15, and I am middle of the road footed (LOL). I always make sure it is warm and even though used as a semi daily driver, I always check and make sure up to operating temperature each time driven before finally parked. I also monitor regens and try to make sure if one occurs, drive extra miles till completed. On highway, if able sometimes get up to 80 plus, but I get it there average, not tromp on pedal. Hopefully my slightly lackadaisical style will be good. FWIW, going NE in late Fall so shall see. That will get my odometer over 10,000, just saying...T-Bird...:cool:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well, I've got 68,000 miles on my 33 month old truck (2016 model). I have been trouble free. I will say this, I doubt my tachometer has ever hit 3,000 rpms (rarely does it go over 2,000).

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I try hard when towing and climbing to keep it under 3k but seldom under 2k.

·
Registered
322 Posts

Please list out some of these 2-3 motors before 100k, I posted this before and people off this forum will say its not true.

It sounded to me like common issue for owners (after reading this forum) to be on their 2nd or 3rd motor.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I turned 117,500 yesterday running from Hilton Head Island back to Columbus, OH. The only drivetrain problems I've had are a leaking radiator replaced under warranty and I've had 2 CEL's both related to "reductant heater circuit open"...this only affects me in cold weather so I'll have it fixed before then, but doesn't affect anything else. Otherwise the thing just runs....I average 4500 miles/month and it has been just wonderful. Shooting for 300K miles.

41 - 60 of 133 Posts