RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyone seeing for cost of an oil change at the dealer for the ecoDiesel? My local dealer is just over $200 for an oil change if you roll in and do one. You can buy sets of oil changes to get the pricing lower or time the service with a discount code (10% or 20%) when available.

For a comparison, wife's diesel denali with the duramax 3.0 is $80 an oil change at the local dealer regular price, granted the oil is cheaper, it has fewer quarts (7.5 vs 10.5) and it is a 7500 mile duration instead of 10k.

Curious as to what others are seeing at the dealers.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've seen a plethora of different prices, from $99 to $189 for oil change plus another $94 for fuel filter. It's all over the map.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
I pre-purchase mine through Mopar vehicle protection for $110 which includes oil change and tire rotation plus the dealership's vehicle inspection.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine is $189 for a single, or $450 for three. Complete rip-off. They try to justify it by saying it takes a special oil - special my ass. They charge that price even for T6 in Gen 2s which is cheap oil. I didn't mind going to the dealer with a gas vehicle ($100 for 3 full synthetic changes). But when I found out how much they wanted to charge for the EcoDiesel, I decided to change the oil myself for the first time in 10 years. Filter location is a breeze, and a Fumoto valve I installed will make the next one even easier. Don't have to waste an hour at the dealer either. Total cost for me was $108 using Amsoil and an OEM filter. If you buy the cheapest oil you can find, you'd be around $75... but for $30 more, I'll pick Amsoil every time.

I pre-purchase mine through Mopar vehicle protection for $110 which includes oil change and tire rotation plus the dealership's vehicle inspection.
How exactly are you purchasing it through MVP? I don't know how you can buy oil changes direct from Mopar. I've always had to go to the dealer to purchase the discount oil packages listed on Mopar's website.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I do my own maintenance that way I know it is done right by someone who cares and I know what products are going into the engine.

11 quarts of Redline (10.5 in the engine) 15w-40 Group V Ester synthetic Diesel oil $12.95 x 11 = $142.45

1 K&N Performance Gold HP-7042 $12.99

1 OEM Mopar fuel filter $29.99

1 OEM air filter $26.99

Takes me about 1 hour to do maintenance the fuel filter and air filter have longer change intervals, the oil I change every 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Back when I had the extended warranty my dealer sold me oil change packages averaged about $80, well worth it for me at the time reasonable price and it was documented if an issue surfaced.

Reactions: JD4mCA

·
Registered
2016 CC Laramie Longhorn
40 Posts
One of the things my wife busts my balls about. Check mopar.com for coupons in your area. I just printed one for $159 for my next oil change, good till 12/31. I figure Ill start doing my own when my warranty runs out in the next 10k miles but until then I don't want FCA saying I did or did not do something. CYA.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
One of the things my wife busts my balls about. Check mopar.com for coupons in your area. I just printed one for $159 for my next oil change, good till 12/31. I figure Ill start doing my own when my warranty runs out in the next 10k miles but until then I don't want FCA saying I did or did not do something. CYA.
Give the service dept a call and get pricing on the oil change packages, I didn't realize pricing varies from dealer to dealer as well. Originally my oil changes were $149, then I asked for pricing on the packages they'll sell you 3, 4, 5 oil change packages volume = better pricing.

Reactions: JD4mCA

·
Registered
2016 CC Laramie Longhorn
40 Posts
Give the service dept a call and get pricing on the oil change packages, I didn't realize pricing varies from dealer to dealer as well. Originally my oil changes were $149, then I asked for pricing on the packages they'll sell you 3, 4, 5 oil change packages volume = better pricing.
Trucks in the shop now. Ill inquire when I pick it up tomorrow, Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Do you always have a trailer attached to your ecodiesel? Your fuel mileage seems extremely low otherwise. I am 60% city and 40 highway and have a life time average of 27.7 MPG with over 22,600 miles on my 2019 1500 Classic ecodiesel.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Do you always have a trailer attached to your ecodiesel? Your fuel mileage seems extremely low otherwise. I am 60% city and 40 highway and have a life time average of 27.7 MPG with over 22,600 miles on my 2019 1500 Classic ecodiesel.
Hi: RaceHillFarms... Not always but most times!!! My wife has a runabout/grocery getter so most truck trips involve a highway run and/or a bout of trailer towing. Don't know exact figures but the Ecodiesel gets a Lifetime Achievement award for mileage. Some folks that get behind me don't always like my driving, but they don't buy the fuel...I DO!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Registered
499 Posts
Take note when asking for a oil change or a service. A "10,30,50,100k service" might include a whole list of items changed or inspected. Many dealerships have their own "suggested service items" such as fuel cleaner, muffler bearings, or windshield wipes.... You pay for that. A oil change only is only for a oil change.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Take note when asking for a oil change or a service. A "10,30,50,100k service" might include a whole list of items changed or inspected. Many dealerships have their own "suggested service items" such as fuel cleaner, muffler bearings, or windshield wipes.... You pay for that. A oil change only is only for a oil change.
Quit you complaining, they did not hit you for the normally required headlight and blinker fluid change or the change over to summer air in tires.

·
Registered
457 Posts
our trucks are so easy to change oil on. I have always did my own. that way I know its done right.
The ecodiesel is easy to change the oil on the oil filter is mess free unless you are careless and you have to be real careless to make a mess with the oil filter. My Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi was easy to change the oil on as well but that engine has a spin on oil filter so you still had to deal with some oil mess with it.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Quit you complaining, they did not hit you for the normally required headlight and blinker fluid change or the change over to summer air in tires.
Hi: RaceHillFarms... I've had my headlights rotated several times. One still goes out when I turn the corner but they burn evenly!!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hi: RaceHillFarms... I've had my headlights rotated several times. One still goes out when I turn the corner but they burn evenly!!!
I tired rotating the headlights once but they just would not fit properly from side to side and I ended up with them upside down and it was awkward trying to drive working the pedals with my hands and arms while steering with my feet, had my 4 year old grand daughter telling me when to stop, go, which way to turn, but she loved yelling faster faster.

Funny thing though she kept telling people to pick a freaking lane and stay in it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
our trucks are so easy to change oil on. I have always did my own. that way I know its done right.
I have change oil since new but are on 2nd engine the would not wawarrnt the engine due to me doing my own. There is a tech order for how the oil is to me change don,t follow this then no warranty. Have a great day with our useless vehicle which has all kinds of flaws.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts