RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would be interested in reading from anyone who has ordered a Outdoorsman with the 3.0 L Diesel.

I have spoke to 2 dealers in Idaho, 1 in Oregon and 4 in Washington and none of them is actually able to place my order.

All of them have tried to put me in Big Horn or Laramie. Yet, those trim levels do not offer what I want or provide more than I want without options to remove things.

Perhaps FireBoy can get some inside scope from his brother in law?

Reactions: sledogmilionair

·
Registered
366 Posts
I would be interested in reading from anyone who has ordered a Outdoorsman with the 3.0 L Diesel.

I have spoke to 2 dealers in Idaho, 1 in Oregon and 4 in Washington and none of them is actually able to place my order.

All of them have tried to put me in Big Horn or Laramie. Yet, those trim levels do not offer what I want or provide more than I want without options to remove things.

I went Outdoorsman. If you look at the cost to purchase(when you equip them the same) of a no-options Outdoorsman, VS the Big Horn and Laramie, you essentially get more equipment for less money on the Outdoorsman. I figure they see the equipment you want and they're trying to pad their profit margins(salespeople at good dealerships get a % of the gross as commission on top of what the dealer makes so there's pressure there) so they're pitching the higher-end trucks. It's the same thing they'd do if someone went in looking at a Tradesman with upgraded fuel tank, limited slip diff, appearance package, protection group, and tow hitch. They'd go to the highest possible model so you see the "nice shiny truck", and work their way back. They know that you're going to want to haggle so they start with the highest price to haggle from so they still make money once the price is agreed upon because you can't talk a customer UP in price.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts

The initial manufacturing run appears to be restricted to the most popular trim levels: Big Horn and Laramie. It looks like you will have to wait or go with what is available.

We wanted a cross between the Laramie and Outdoorsman. The Outdoorsman is basically an SLT with added options, so adding those options to the Laramie after delivery is possible. In your case, doing the same with the Big Horn might be the best course if you do not want to wait.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ordered Outdoorsman Crew Cab 6'4" box 3L, box liner, rear defrost. All good.
I suppose I should have stated that a order placed for the Outdoorsman in the USA.

I know you goes north of the border have been able to get a Outdoorsman. But it appears in the US we can not.

Perhaps, that is what will be coming in the second wave of builds starting in March.

Trying to find out when they can be ordered in the US.

Thanks

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Curb to Curb in the turning radius is under 40' for the Outdoorsman with the 5'7" bed. Towing and payload are higher in the Outdoorsman. The increased towing is important to me. So the Laramie will not really work.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Curb to Curb in the turning radius is under 40' for the Outdoorsman with the 5'7" bed. Towing and payload are higher in the Outdoorsman. The increased towing is important to me. So the Laramie will not really work.
It only has 17"x7" rims (more give and narrower footprint/stance...but I'm guessing based on theoretical experience) and has the upgraded rear suspension, which probably makes up for the radius and the towing capacity. The smaller rim might handle more stress than the same material spread over a larger rim? I dunno I'm grasping a little bit but I think I'm using educated guessing.

If you matched rims and worked shocks/spring into the deal on the Laramie it might make up both the details you're concerned with?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ego. Do you know if your truck in the QC config has a fold flat rear load floor?

Trying to figure out if the QC will work for me and my 3 dogs.

The load flat floor in the CC has plenty of space for them.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Ego. Do you know if your truck in the QC config has a fold flat rear load floor?

Trying to figure out if the QC will work for me and my 3 dogs.

The load flat floor in the CC has plenty of space for them.
They lift up for storage compartments but I'm pretty sure it did not have the fold up/load floor feature. I'm embarrassed to say but I didn't check into that because I'm getting a cap. Usually I'm obsessed with details lol.

·
Registered
13,677 Posts
The 2014 master catalogue shows that fold-up floor for the QC and the CC. Only thing I see missing from the QC is the in-floor cooler thing.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I want an outdoorsman too. Dealer has been trying to order. He said today, he was able to order a BH but not an Outdoorsman. First time he has been able to order a diesel.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well that helps answer one the questions I had. Is that if the outdoorsman is not available in the West, is it available anywhere else?

It appears that it is not even available in Michigan. The state of production/manufacturing and assembly.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm just taking the time to rub it in and say I ordered my outdoorsman 5 weeks ago and it should be here in March. Giggity, eh.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Were u able to get any rebates or talk him down with you're order.i ordered a Laramie longhorn and feel that they are trying to play hardball.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Were u able to get any rebates or talk him down with you're order.i ordered a Laramie longhorn and feel that they are trying to play hardball.
For sure they're playing hardball. Anyone who goes into a dealership to talk about ordering a truck has shown their cards already. Ordering vehicles shows you're willing to sacrifice for that truck and they make a deal in their own favor. Check out my hardball thread, there's a lot involved with negotiating a truck that doesn't exist yet. They know you have very little choice and that if you're ORDERING an Ecodiesel you're probably willing to pay a little more because of the supply+demand.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I ordered mine Friday when I got the call. Ordering was open for two hours before I got to dealership and got my Laramie 4 x 4 ordered. I want the 3.92 gears but it would not let me order with 3.92 gears. I just called tonight and it was too late so they are going to check again tomorrow to see if I can change to 3.92 because I took the 3.55 gears because only way I could order. Only thing I tow is a bass boat fully loaded with fuel and gear about 4k in weight. So I am sure the 3.55 will be more than fine but I want the 3.92s. Got confirmation from Ram this morning it is in the process and ill get updates. My dealer already gave me invoice plus $500 and gave me my trade value on my Honda Ridgeline. All rebates will also apply that are available when it arrives. Sticker was 53k and change. I did not order ram box because it would not let us but I didn't want that option anyway and did not et the air ride susp either because didn't want it. May put lift on it later. I did get the AT tires instead of hyw tires. Been waiting since they dumped the idea back when economy dumped. I driver 40 miles hyw to work and 40 back daily and average about 30k a year mileage and 90% hyw. Hope the diesel is a good one with little problems. I tow my boat on weekends and this will be nice getting the diesel. I miss my 2001 Duramax I had. I run a truckline and have for 30 years and hate all they have done to the diesel engine on epa but it is what it is. Ill keep posted as it goes. I hope I can change the gear ratio to 3.92 but as I said it would not let me order except 3.55s.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Was that 53k the invoice price you are paying.i ordered a LL but dealer found out the payload was only 859 !!!!serious problem in my opinion if you want a LL.so I'm going to go down to a Laramie.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Couldn't order an Outdoorsman yesterday but it let me order a 4x4 CC Laramie 6'4 with ram box. my prices was about 5% below invoice before rebates.

Couldn't get 3.92 gears or the leather bench seat so I told him to hold the order until we found out why or the outdoorsman became available.

·
Registered
231 Posts
no it was price. they corrected today now it is 52k and some change after fixing the 4k to $2850. Invoice now is $48k . Still no 3.92 gears. I am thinking about canceling my order if possible today and see about getting my deposit back. I think I would rather wait till they get stock trucks in and then test drive and make sure this is what I want. Hate to lose $500 deposit. I have never ordered a vehicle and if it gets here and I don't like it I lose $500 and that is not good.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts