RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in need of a new truck within the next year and am looking to get a crew cab with 6’4 bed. I currently have a 20minute freeway commute to work, and do about 50/50 city/freeway driving in SoCal on average with a mix of short trips and long ones. I know from reading the forum, many say the eco needs long trips, and towing, and if you’re not doing this, the gasser is better. However,

the main reason I am looking into the ECO is of course fuel mileage. I plan on getting a small lift (3.5”) with 33-35” AT tires and I know this will KILL the MPG on the Hemi. but with the ecodiesel, mileage will still be well above 20mpg.

since I plan on getting the lift/tires, would the eco be a good option? I’m well aware of the added cost of the engine and maintenance. I am more concerned with the longevity of the engine (I’m aware this is a newer engine so that may be difficult to answer).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, during winter months (oct through feb) I’ll be making a 2.5 hr commute one way hauling hunting gear to my hunting spot each week.

·
Super Moderator
4,322 Posts
The EcoD will really shine on your 2.5 hour commute compared to the Hemi, now is it worth it enough to make the leap? I usually ask someone, do you like the fun pedal of the Hemi? If that's yes than run go with it. Your 20 minute commute isn't all that short if your moving on the freeway that long.

You have the people that buy diesels for towing, fuel efficiency or just for how a diesel drives. The EcoD will definitely do better with taller tires, the factory size on the new Gen5 body is 32", the Gen4 body 20" rims came with 33" so you would only notice a drop with 35"s. Towing is where the EcoD really blows the Hemi out of the water, I'll pull a 8K lbs 28' enclosed trailer and still get 14-15 mpg, a Hemi is flirting with single digits.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
LmAo...Bueller is same as 'crickets'... To the OP...buy what you truly have always wanted in your mind. If your 50/50 get a diesel and enjoy. If your 60/40 gasser buy Hemi. Both have different feature/benefit and move forward.

In the end don't be in the 'I should have...could have crowd'. Make a decision, stand firm in it, and enjoy the purchase. 15,000 miles a year or less go Hemi, 15,001+ go diesel and enjoy it. The last thing anyone should do is make a decision then crybaby about it after the fact. Makes one appear to be stupid to everyone else. Use the best information you have at the time...and move forward. I love my ED period.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want the diesel strictly for the MPG. And I know when I lift the truck, the diesel will be the better option MPG wise. I just keep seeing on all the forums that guys who use them as daily drivers, not towing, driving them on short trips in town, will ruin the engine. With the gen3, hopefully these issues have been resolved and the engine will last like a diesel should. I have the mindset of keeping my vehicles for the life of the vehicle. To me, that’s 150K PLUS.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I wasn’t lifting and getting bigger tires, the v6 gasser would be the choice. But I know know the lift and tires will destroy the v6 mpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know about the added costs, I’m just worried about the longevity of the ecodiesel with a lot of city driving and short trips

·
Super Moderator
3,219 Posts
I’d say get the new ED and with 3.92 to move the 35” AT tires & lift with relative ease & economy. I believe you will like it a lot. 100,000 mile power train warranty just pick a good dealership that sells a lot of trucks so that odds are in your favor that if you need service repairs that they actually have a certified diesel mechanic.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I want the diesel strictly for the MPG. And I know when I lift the truck, the diesel will be the better option MPG wise. I just keep seeing on all the forums that guys who use them as daily drivers, not towing, driving them on short trips in town, will ruin the engine. With the gen3, hopefully these issues have been resolved and the engine will last like a diesel should. I have the mindset of keeping my vehicles for the life of the vehicle. To me, that’s 150K PLUS.
Depends on geography...road salt, pot holes, etc. 200k+ is an expectation for cars in FL, even much longer for trucks.

NE and Mid West...perhaps but the suspension takes a beating and road salt/gravel is harsh.

·
Registered
698 Posts
If you want room to be comfortable, the Gladiator is not the vehicle for anyone. If single it would be okay, but if in need of more space, run away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am new to the site and in the same boat. I will be getting a ram in the next few months and can’t decide which direction I want to go. It will be my daily driver. I commute about 100 miles a day to wrk. In the future I plan on getting a travel trailer but that may be a few years. I have always wanted a diesel. The MPG aspect sounds great but in reality I think in my area the price of fuel it pretty much evens out. With diesel being about 20-40 cents more a gallon. I just not sure about the additional cost of maintenance compared to a gasser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
716 Posts
I've driven 1 hemi almost 400,000 miles and another 300,000 miles. They were awesome vehicles, even gave decent mpg's. But, my 2017 Ecodiesel (GDE tuned) is by far and away, the best vehicle that I've ever driven! I tow a lot, the tuned Ecodiesel tows awesome! Maybe Corona virus will take out the "smog Nazis" then we can all drive diesels again. BTW, diesel is getting cheaper... I will put up my 78,000 mile shiny tail pipes against any gas vehicle with same miles.

·
Registered
13,409 Posts
So In everyone’s opinion, en ecodiesel will have no problems with 50/50 city/freeway? With the city being 15 minute trips around town?
Yes.

The 2020's also seem to be less affected by slower operation than the older ones. Their emissions equipment design is different and showing good reliability so far.

·
Super Moderator
3,219 Posts
Jwtiger69 are you in Cali or PA? They have lol extortion taxes on diesel other states not nearly as bad. Some people in those states actually buy bulk from across the line then transport it back home for personal use. Others actually break the law and have less taxed red dye farm or fuel oil diesel delivered to their home tank for their “diesel mower”.

Here is a screenshot from the gas buddy app showing diesel prices on both sides of the Cali Arizona line. The old saying is elections have consequences. Fuel was a higher at that time that was prior to Trump’s liberating the production of oil in this country.

56CC99FA-6513-4CF8-9E7D-46074226E903.png

1 - 20 of 21 Posts