RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been told that there was a stop-sale on used EcoDiesels at Chrysler dealerships until VB1 recall can be completed, but I see plenty for sale on AutoTrader. I assume the info I got, while from a dealership, may be inaccurate. Does anyone know any more details about it?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had been told that there was a stop-sale on used EcoDiesels at Chrysler dealerships until VB1 recall can be completed, but I see plenty for sale on AutoTrader. I assume the info I got, while from a dealership, may be inaccurate. Does anyone know any more details about it?
I called a local dealership in NC a couple of weeks ago and inquired because they had three used ED’s on their website. I was told then that while they still had them listed they were unable to sell them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called a local dealership in NC a couple of weeks ago and inquired because they had three used ED’s on their website. I was told then that while they still had them listed they were unable to sell them.
Thanks... I was looking around at some used 1500, and spotted an EcoDiesel coincidentally. I figured they wouldn't even show up in inventory, but with the giant communication cluster this has been I wouldn't doubt much at this point :rolleyes:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks... I was looking around at some used 1500, and spotted an EcoDiesel coincidentally. I figured they wouldn't even show up in inventory, but with the giant communication cluster this has been I wouldn't doubt much at this point :rolleyes:
Well... it’s not outside the realm of possibility that despite a directive from FCA, some dealers may sell them anyway. Wouldn’t hurt to try if someone wants to buy one.

·
Registered
12,998 Posts
So forget the old motor. They did get rid of a few by putting them in classic models and called them 2019's. Forget them. If you want a new Ecodiesel - buy the 2020. It is developing a good track record so far. Granted it has only been sold a short time but so far is "so far".

Dealers sell the 2020's. Buy one of them. If you want an older model, look at private sellers and your buddy "Harry" at the local used car lot. They can sell you anything that moves and maybe some that don't.

·
Registered
638 Posts
So forget the old motor. They did get rid of a few by putting them in classic models and called them 2019's. Forget them. If you want a new Ecodiesel - buy the 2020. It is developing a good track record so far. Granted it has only been sold a short time but so far is "so far".

Dealers sell the 2020's. Buy one of them. If you want an older model, look at private sellers and your buddy "Harry" at the local used car lot. They can sell you anything that moves and maybe some that don't.
Would love to forget the old motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
653 Posts
Due to the high mileage on my truck I'll be keeping it for a long, long time and putting alot more miles on it. Now having said that, when I do buy again, Chrysler/FCA will be the last place I take my money. Why anyone that's involved or even aware of the handling of this Ecodiesel debacle would go out and buy a new or used FCA product is beyond me.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was at my local dealer yesterday picking up our ED from service. They have never given me an bull. They confirmed a stop sale on used and new Classic ED due to the EGR recall.
Thanks for checking - I never know what to believe from FCA now, so I appreciate input from another source

·
Registered
692 Posts
.................... Why anyone that's involved or even aware of the handling of this Ecodiesel debacle would go out and buy a new or used FCA product is beyond me.
Just my 2 cents.
It's done because all the manufacturers have trouble of one kind or another, so you might as well go with the devil you know. We just don't hear about it because we aren't reading the "other" forums.

·
Registered
653 Posts
It's done because all the manufacturers have trouble of one kind or another, so you might as well go with the devil you know. We just don't hear about it because we aren't reading the "other" forums.

I could care less about other manufacturers issues or views on other forums. I'm basing my opinion on personal experience and the ownership experience and treatment by FCA.

·
Registered
364 Posts
As a BMW owner - those cars have massive issues. But they are awesome machines.

My experience would be the same - the devil you know. I am keeping my devil. Now that the issues have been corrected, deleted, or fixed I have no worries.

I've drive and straight abused Dodge Charger Hemis and V6. Well over a thousand full throttle 0-80mph events in the Hemi Charger. Several miles bouncing off the MPH limiter. The only issue I ever had was brake fade after several high speed slow braking events and one set of brake rotors warped. I don't know of anybody that had issues with there Hemi Chargers. If not for the ecod forum I wouldn't know about issues with this truck. I've talked with a few guys around town who also own a EcoD and they are oblivious about issues and had now complaints.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Due to the high mileage on my truck I'll be keeping it for a long, long time and putting alot more miles on it. Now having said that, when I do buy again, Chrysler/FCA will be the last place I take my money. Why anyone that's involved or even aware of the handling of this Ecodiesel debacle would go out and buy a new or used FCA product is beyond me.
Just my 2 cents.
Agreed they need to earn it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
It’s amazing that FCA has told the dealers they can’t sell them, admitting that there is a huge issue here. Yet, when it comes to following the guide lines of the class action settlement to get a buyback, they fight you to the death trying to say there is no problem.

·
Registered
653 Posts
All the manufacturers have their issues. It's how they handle those issues and how they treat the customer that counts.
FCA gets a fail. My egr cooler leaked after the truck was 14 months old and out of CDN warranty. I was on the hook for repairs pegged at $4200 but a 6 week wait for a new EGR (This was back in Feb 2018).

I have a 16 year old Acura TSX with over 350,000 kms that when I put to bed for the winter of 2018. I drove it into a Seatainer for storage. In the spring I put the battery back in and when pulling it out of the Seatainer it stalled and would not start again. Would turn over but you could tell there was no spark. Towed it to the dealership and diagnosed as a corroded ECM. All replaced at no charge including an oil change because the maintenance minder automatically reset to zero.
Honda did the right thing. Why? Because they knew that the location of the ECM located under the driver seat was susceptible to winter salt and slush from the floormats.
Thirteen years after purchase and I still received exceptional service from Honda.
We know that FCA knew in 2017 that there were issues with the ECoD EGR coolers but had no intention of standing behind them until there were many engine fires.
FCA will never see any of my money again.

·
Registered
823 Posts
All the manufacturers have their issues. It's how they handle those issues and how they treat the customer that counts.
FCA gets a fail. My egr cooler leaked after the truck was 14 months old and out of CDN warranty. I was on the hook for repairs pegged at $4200 but a 6 week wait for a new EGR (This was back in Feb 2018).

I have a 16 year old Acura TSX with over 350,000 kms that when I put to bed for the winter of 2018. I drove it into a Seatainer for storage. In the spring I put the battery back in and when pulling it out of the Seatainer it stalled and would not start again. Would turn over but you could tell there was no spark. Towed it to the dealership and diagnosed as a corroded ECM. All replaced at no charge including an oil change because the maintenance minder automatically reset to zero.
Honda did the right thing. Why? Because they knew that the location of the ECM located under the driver seat was susceptible to winter salt and slush from the floormats.
Thirteen years after purchase and I still received exceptional service from Honda.
We know that FCA knew in 2017 that there were issues with the ECoD EGR coolers but had no intention of standing behind them until there were many engine fires.
I had all sorts of issues with my wife's 2009 Honda CR-V. The alarm would just go off randomly all the time: in the middle of the night with the car in the garage, in the middle of her teaching at school with nobody in the parking lot, etc. I took the car in nearly a dozen times, most of those times them claiming that they couldn't replicate it. I finally caught it on video with the "door open" light flickering on and off as we were driving. They replaced the door jam switch and gave it back - still happening. They replaced the alarm module and gave it back - still happening. Then they replaced the wire harness between the two and that fixed it. But nearly 15 trips to the dealer for a new car within the first 18 months, and that whole time with the alarm going off again and again randomly. It was awful. All because they moved manufacturing to Mexico and somebody down there ran a screw through the wire sheathing just enough that it would short out against the frame a day or two after it rained. So I'll never buy another Honda product.

I replaced my ED with another Ram because I just didn't care for anything else on the market. Toyotas have poor interiors, poor mpg, and don't tow all that well (my dad had one, very disappointing for towing compared to any Ram). Fords are a non-starter for me after the F-150 problems we had in the late 90s. I've had a bunch of Chevy products with few issues, but their motors and towing capacity are way behind the curve, their 6-speed transmission is dated, the interior is dated, and the prices are high would have had to get a 2015 Silverado for the same price/features as I paid for my 2018 Ram Hemi 4x4). I just love everything about the Ram - interior, power, gas mileage, towing performance, and price. So I may end up regretting it, but I'm going back with another FCA product. I think the companies are all about the same with how they handle stuff personally.

·
Registered
364 Posts

Or Honda happened to have a supply of ECM and the repair took just 1 hour time. Now do the Honda R18 engine block which is known to crack. They did not replace all engines and I doubt 8 years from now Honda will replace a cracked engine block. For these companies, all of them, its math.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I had all sorts of issues with my wife's 2009 Honda CR-V. The alarm would just go off randomly all the time: in the middle of the night with the car in the garage, in the middle of her teaching at school with nobody in the parking lot, etc. I took the car in nearly a dozen times, most of those times them claiming that they couldn't replicate it. I finally caught it on video with the "door open" light flickering on and off as we were driving. They replaced the door jam switch and gave it back - still happening. They replaced the alarm module and gave it back - still happening. Then they replaced the wire harness between the two and that fixed it. But nearly 15 trips to the dealer for a new car within the first 18 months, and that whole time with the alarm going off again and again randomly. It was awful. All because they moved manufacturing to Mexico and somebody down there ran a screw through the wire sheathing just enough that it would short out against the frame a day or two after it rained. So I'll never buy another Honda product.

I replaced my ED with another Ram because I just didn't care for anything else on the market. Toyotas have poor interiors, poor mpg, and don't tow all that well (my dad had one, very disappointing for towing compared to any Ram). Fords are a non-starter for me after the F-150 problems we had in the late 90s. I've had a bunch of Chevy products with few issues, but their motors and towing capacity are way behind the curve, their 6-speed transmission is dated, the interior is dated, and the prices are high would have had to get a 2015 Silverado for the same price/features as I paid for my 2018 Ram Hemi 4x4). I just love everything about the Ram - interior, power, gas mileage, towing performance, and price. So I may end up regretting it, but I'm going back with another FCA product. I think the companies are all about the same with how they handle stuff personally.

A screw through one wiring harness is an anomaly and hard to diagnose when the short is intermittent. The repair was trial and error.

I'm talking about a known issue that a manufacturer stands behind versus sweeping it under the carpet and forcing the consumer to pay for the repair when they know that they have a faulty part or component that should be recalled like the EGR cooler. FCA only recalled this item after hundreds of vehicle fires. They knew it was faulty and forced consumers to pay for out of warranty repairs. Let's not forget that there were multiple forum users and no doubt many others that were experiencing coolant loss only to be told that their system was topped up but no leaks present. WHY? Because FCA didnt want to foot the bill for repairs under warranty.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts