RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
A screw through one wiring harness is an anomaly and hard to diagnose when the short is intermittent. The repair was trial and error.

I'm talking about a known issue that a manufacturer stands behind versus sweeping it under the carpet and forcing the consumer to pay for the repair when they know that they have a faulty part or component that should be recalled like the EGR cooler. FCA only recalled this item after hundreds of vehicle fires. They knew it was faulty and forced consumers to pay for out of warranty repairs. Let's not forget that there were multiple forum users and no doubt many others that were experiencing coolant loss only to be told that their system was topped up but no leaks present. WHY? Because FCA didnt want to foot the bill for repairs under warranty.
Sure...but literally all manufacturers do that. It's a business...

I do agree that your distinction is probably different than my analogy though - fair point.

·
Registered
117 Posts
All the manufacturers have their issues. It's how they handle those issues and how they treat the customer that counts. I have a 16 year old Acura TSX with over 350,000 kms that when I put to bed for the winter of 2018. I drove it into a Seatainer for storage. In the spring I put the battery back in and when pulling it out of the Seatainer it stalled and would not start again. Would turn over but you could tell there was no spark. Towed it to the dealership and diagnosed as a corroded ECM. All replaced at no charge including an oil change because the maintenance minder automatically reset to zero.
Honda did the right thing. Why? Because they knew that the location of the ECM located under the driver seat was susceptible to winter salt and slush from the floormats.
Thirteen years after purchase and I still received exceptional service from Honda.
I think it's hit and miss and the dealership makes a big difference as well. I have a 2015 Acura MDX that has an HVAC issue with heat randomly coming and going at the driver's feet. I would think blend door or something simple, but 3 trips in to Acura service and now it has become a "Known issue with no apparent fix". So Honda can be sub-par as well.

·
Registered
854 Posts
A screw through one wiring harness is an anomaly and hard to diagnose when the short is intermittent. The repair was trial and error.

I'm talking about a known issue that a manufacturer stands behind versus sweeping it under the carpet and forcing the consumer to pay for the repair when they know that they have a faulty part or component that should be recalled like the EGR cooler. FCA only recalled this item after hundreds of vehicle fires. They knew it was faulty and forced consumers to pay for out of warranty repairs. Let's not forget that there were multiple forum users and no doubt many others that were experiencing coolant loss only to be told that their system was topped up but no leaks present. WHY? Because FCA didnt want to foot the bill for repairs under warranty.
Take into consideration the Bosch CP4.x hpfp. Most small diesels sold in North America use a version of this pump. It has known issues for how little it tolerates of our crappy fuel since it's release on market in 2007, and yet here it is 13 years laterand the pump is still being used. If you take your diesel vehicle into the dealer, any dealer, with a failed fuel pump, the first thing out of their mouth is "contaminated fuel, not our problem".

I'm lumping everything from a 3500 down into the small diesel catagory.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Dang, traded my 85k 2016 Laramie for the new 2020 Laramie the second week of December... and so far, I love it, the Gen III is better than the old one... did the dealer ever sell my old ride, hmmmm, I do not care, it's their problem now... am I just a lucky boy or what... like a tail wagging lab with a big juicy soup bone on parade, I'm all smiles...

·
Registered
643 Posts
Dang, traded my 85k 2016 Laramie for the new 2020 Laramie the second week of December... and so far, I love it, the Gen III is better than the old one... did the dealer ever sell my old ride, hmmmm, I do not care, it's their problem now... am I just a lucky boy or what... like a tail wagging lab with a big juicy soup bone on parade, I'm all smiles...
Wish you good luck with it. I’m waiting for FCA to fix it or puke. I don’t trust them with my money anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 25 of 25 Posts