RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time posting a question here... I just purchased a 2020 Ram EcoDiesel with a 3.92 axle ratio. I am about to pull a camper that weighs 5,500 lbs to Colorado for vacation. I am curious if anyone has figured out a sweet spot for rpm in pulling long mountain passes to get the best bang and not overheat the engine?

Any other suggestions? This is my first ED - my previous vehicle was a 2500 Chevy HD diesel and really found putting it in a lower gear and running about 4,000 rpm to very effective.

I appreciate any suggestions on pulling with an ED.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the 2020 Ecodiesel, I suspect you’ll get many years of great service from it.

Please keep us updated on how your trip goes. On the 2020 Ecodiesels FCA did some things to improve cooling while towing. It will be very interesting to see how your truck performs. I’m sure it will do great! Please pass on your experiences!

Jed

·
Registered
9 Posts
We just pulled our 6500 pound travel trailer up to Queen Wilhelmina State Park in AR with my 2020 EcoDiesel with 3.92. The road to the park is a 13 mile long very steep, very winding stretch with everything from 55 MPH straightaways to 20 MPH swtichbacks. Elevation went from 1100 feet at the start to 2600 feet at the top. The truck did fantastic, sitting in 4th or 5th gear most of the way with plenty of reserve power. Oil temp ran between 237-242 degrees and tranny temp never got above 194 degrees. The outside air temp was in the low 90s. The truck seemed to hang around 2500-3000 RPM, occasionally going to 4000 RPM momentarily when down shifting.

We did the same tow a couple of years ago with my 2017 F150 with 5.0 and it had to work much harder, making the climb in 2nd gear, 4000 RPM and trans temps over 220 (I had to pull over at one point to let it cool).

I think Ram did a much better job with the cooling system in this truck because it never got anywhere close to overheating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for your input. I leave tomorrow and will let you know how it goes. I noticed a typo in my original post... my travel trailer is 7,500 pounds. My max tow rating is 9,795 so I should be safe on that end. Again thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Initial report from campground:
Truck did GREAT!!! Very smooth pulling and the shifting was so seamless. With Toy Haul mode it stayed in 7th gear most of the trip and I set my cruise control at 60 mph with it running around 2100 rpm. Coolant Temp averaged 210 degrees, Trans Temp 175 degrees, and Oil Temp around 230 degrees. When I got to mountains and pulls I dropped to 55 mph and it would jump between 5th and 6th gear. RPMs ran at 2500 in 6th gear and 3250 RPMs in 5th gear.

Question: the Oil Temp in the tough pulls would run around 238 - 248 degrees. Outside air temp was in lower 90s. Is this a normal Oil Temp? Coolant Temp always seemed to stay 20 degrees cooler than Oil Temp. I stayed conservative in the pulling and slowed down when temp got up to 248. My Chevy 2500 diesel never got that hot pulling in the mountains - but not sure what to expect with the EcoDiesel. It ran fine and never acted funny. I love this truck!

Appreciate this forum and any suggestions and or calming of my nerves.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's great to hear! From what I understand 248 degrees with these engines running full synthetic oil is nothing to be too concerned about. I've read elsewhere on this site that the last generation EcoDiesel would start to derate the engine at 255 degrees and give a dash warning at 268 degrees, not sure if that is the same on our 3rd Gens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts