RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whose is towing with their ecodiesel, and what are they hauling? Looking at purchasing a 2015 Ecodiesel Ram 1500, I know it is perfectly capable of towing my 16ft trailer with zero turn mowers, but can it haul a mini ex, skid steer, or small tractor?

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
8k is about the sweet spot for this truck. My toy hauler is usually between 7500 and 8k depending on toys, but it pulls a ton of wind. Advantage you have is very little frontal area when towing that equipment. Just keep an eye on the oil temp when accelerating uphill, it will tend to climb a little. Oil temps in the 240's is normal when towing heavy.

·
Registered
13,537 Posts
Welcome, first post!

So what rear end ratio does the one you are looking at have? 3:55 and 3:92 are the two available. The 3:92 is usually rated to pull over 8000 lbs. the other just under that.

Ratings are not absolute and any tow a bit more than the ratings. What you talk of towing is probably under the weight and going just locally. I would suggest you would be satisfied.

·
Registered
332 Posts
2015 Ecodiesel Longhorn Rambox Crewcab 4wd Air Suspension
TT Flagstaff Classic super lite
8500 dry
Every time we pulled over 200 miles service engine light would come on?
had the Vo8 recall done in June 2019
Got the check in October 2019
Turbo lag was really bad unless you let it warm up quire a while .
mpg down also

we traded it in November for the 2019 2500 Big Brother , Megacab Rambox Longhorn, right before the recall EGR

And now I read another recall to try to fix the turbo lag ?
When Towing with Ecodiesel would really have to back down on hills because of oil temperature to high ?
Good luck with the Ecodiesel

·
Super Moderator
3,260 Posts
The suspensions are soft but otherwise the 1500s are great to tow to 8k maybe a little better with good WDH and setup.(ED or Hemi my QC ED rating was 8,800) Even over mountain grades with lower gear sets and TBC. Heavy tongue and or bed loads (800 pounds plus) benefit from air bags such Timber Groves. More importantly than fixing some sag if you don't have your WDH set up correctly is the better support control and damping. The suspension compliance and control with weigh over the rough can be dramatically better. https://timbergroveenterprises.com/old-home

The ED towing heavy benefits from an engine tune and can be further enhanced with a transmission tune. Not only does it help keep a clean engine & less soot etc problems with EGR turned off but better mileage power no lag & more and especially the software driven engine or turbo brake. Its very confidence inspiring coupled with a TBC (trailer brake controller) when descending a grade with a lot of weight. Max CVWR in the 4th gen is 15,950. I've been over 6% grades with 15,800 so I speak from experience. 2014-2018 Dodge Ram 3.0L Eco Diesel Emission Intact Tune

I like watching the temps screen when towing heavy with my ED but temps can be managed simply by limiting sustained throttle to 3k. I suggest you read through our tow haul section and the pictures thread in it. With a flatbed and something like a skid steer many don't use a WDH only proper placement on the trailer combined with the bags. Just make sure the front of your truck isn't high or you have transferred too much weight off the front and need to re position your load. The lil diesel does like to tow within its limits. 634,000 on my ED over half with TT boat etc in tow. Thats 2nd engine first lost a head gasket at 371k most likely due to low coolant from EGR cooler leak. So my suggestion is to routinely check the coolant level in the degas bottle top front center under the hood and make sure that its at least at the seem. Enjoy the truck towing and fuel economy most of us do.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
TT Flagstaff Classic super lite
8500 dry
Every time we pulled over 200 miles service engine light would come on?
had the Vo8 recall done in June 2019
Got the check in October 2019
Turbo lag was really bad unless you let it warm up quire a while .
mpg down also
When Towing with Ecodiesel would really have to back down on hills because of oil temperature to high ?
Good luck with the Ecodiesel
Tows well over the ratings, complains about poor performance, then wishes everyone luck with their trucks lol. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Whose is towing with their ecodiesel, and what are they hauling? Looking at purchasing a 2015 Ecodiesel Ram 1500, I know it is perfectly capable of towing my 16ft trailer with zero turn mowers, but can it haul a mini ex, skid steer, or small tractor?
I just got home from a 4200 mile trip towing a #5000 rv. Truck is stock 3.55 gears with air bags in the back. Trailer has 800 lb tongue weight. My brother was towing a lighter trailer with a Suburban 350 v8, 3.73 gears. I wasn’t even a contest. I had the cruise set at 75 mph across New Mexico and he couldn’t keep 65 mph. In the mountains I had to wait for him. In the mountains mileage dropped below 10. On level at 75 mph it was 11.4. Best I got was 14.8 with a good tailwind. I would not recommend buying an ecodiesel before 2016. Mine is a 2017 almost 40,000 miles. No problems yet. Never buy an engine the first few years out. Let them get the bugs out first. I learned my lesson on a Cadillac that I sold after six months. For what it is worth, go for the 3.90 gears if you do a lot of towing.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have towed up to 10,000 lbs with my 2017 with 3:92's and the GDE tune. I have airbags inside my rear coils to help with heavy tongue weights, also a heavier Helwig rear sway bar. I would say, if you tow that much, or close to it, in mountains or warmer climates, get a less restrictive grille than the "Bighorn" one, and keep an eye on oil and coolant temps. I've towed heavier loads with the hemis, but the Ecodiesel is more pleasant to drive. no screaming 4,500 rpms on the hills. Possibly adding a transmission cooler, might help on the really long hills.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts